Tips on How to start learning any Martial Arts

BraxLimbo

White Belt
Reaction score
I gotta be honest, learning any kind of martial arts is hard. The first few months would be the hardest. So the best tip would be to BE READY. Physically and emotionally. Physically, you would have to stretch first since there could be possible injuries along the way. Ok. There would be injuries. Bruises and cuts. But long term and major injuries could also happen such as torn tendons. Emotionally since the whole endeavor can be so exhausting. Sometimes you'd just want to give up.
Another thing is to HAVE TIME. It doesn't really mean you have to cut a lot of your time to make way for training. But you do need to spend more time at first especially when you want to perfect a stunt or technique. You'll get frustrated as well so have time to breathe and relax.

if you have some other tips, then feel free to leave a comment!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I gotta be honest, learning any kind of martial arts is hard. The first few months would be the hardest. So the best tip would be to BE READY. Physically and emotionally. Physically, you would have to stretch first since there could be possible injuries along the way. Ok. There would be injuries. Bruises and cuts. But long term and major injuries could also happen such as torn tendons. Emotionally since the whole endeavor can be so exhausting. Sometimes you'd just want to give up.
Another thing is to HAVE TIME. It doesn't really mean you have to cut a lot of your time to make way for training. But you do need to spend more time at first especially when you want to perfect a stunt or technique. You'll get frustrated as well so have time to breathe and relax.

I don't care what martial art you train, stances are the most important part. Make it hurt! Now, go take on the day. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Torn tendons is usually a kicking art thing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If the martial arts school trains hard, then just do what you can and not give up. No one expects a beginner to jump in and keep pace with students who have been there for years. Focus more on what you can do instead of focusing on what others can do.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
If the martial arts school trains hard, then just do what you can and not give up. No one expects a beginner to jump in and keep pace with students who have been there for years. Focus more on what you can do instead of focusing on what others can do.

Agreed. Do your best but also pay attention to what your body is telling you, especially if you're not a spring chicken anymore or out of shape. Overdoing it is not in your best interest (speaking from personal experience).

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Physically, you would have to stretch first since there could be possible injuries along the way
If you want to avoid injuries then you should warm up the muscles first with some light-to-moderate exercise to get the blood flowing into the muscles. Stretch after your workout for enhanced flexibility. Stretching before lengthens the muscles and makes them less elastic until after muscle recovery.

4 Reasons to Stop Stretching Before You Exercise
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/reasons-not-to-stretch/?_r=0
Why Stretching May Not Help Before Exercise | TIME.com
Experts: Don't stretch before exercising - USATODAY.com
Stretch Before Exercise? Not So Fast. | BU Today | Boston University

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Sapphire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First you must determine what makes you incredibly sexy.

Oh, different martial arts, sorry.

Even when you're convinced you're there to learn how to protect yourself, grow up, smarten/Spartan up, leave all of that at the door. Go in, get beat up, learn something, make friends and HAVE FUN.

OP
BraxLimbo

BraxLimbo

White Belt
Reaction score
Torn tendons is usually a kicking art thing.

Yes. I've been kickboxing for a couple of years now and I got this injury a few months into the training. Pushed myself too hard I guess. Glad to say it's much better now.

OP
BraxLimbo

BraxLimbo

White Belt
Reaction score
Kind of shocked to see a few replies. haha! But great tips from everyone.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kind of shocked to see a few replies. haha! But great tips from everyone.
I know for kung fu, the physical part isn't the most difficult part. For kung fu it's getting your brain to make your body move in a new way that's the challenge. My school has had a few students who thought kung fu was something easy to do, but when they actually tried to do the forms they soon discovered that the movements we do aren't everyday movements. This means that brain is actually doing a movement that it has never done before. It takes a lot effort to coordinate the hands, the arms, the feet, and the torso at the same time as a new student to kung fu. It is common for ne Kung Fu students to feel frustrated because of this. Kickboxing is much easier in terms of movement which is probably why so many people enjoy it. They aren't being frustrated by complex movements. This is a professional fighter doing kung fu, and that look on his face like his brain is over thinking is normal for kung fu. You haven't had a good brain fry until you take kung fu. Which is why I always tell students to do the best that they can do and not focus on what other students are doing.

bionicman2k

White Belt
Reaction score

Physically! People should be more aware of training in isometrics! That strengthening the bones, tendons and ligments most people lacking! Build from the inside and out!

Northern Man

White Belt
Reaction score

My tips that I wish I knew before starting in TKD (or any MA) would be these ones: Learn to twist your body, prepare your endurance with some running or jogging weekly, be physically well fit for sports or be prepared to grow fast, learn to relax in a stressful situation. Get used to pain, there's lots to come. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First you decide what "major skill" that you want to develop. You then find a path to reach to your goal.

If you can use your

- TKD "side kick", or
- Judo "hip throw"

to knock/take down everybody on this planet, you are a MA master already. Since a general will need many soldiers to protect him. When you develop your major skill (depth first), you will also need to develop many minor skills to support your major skill. Your MA knowledge then start to be developed sideway (breadth later).

Last edited:

Northern Man

White Belt
Reaction score
First you decide what "major skill" that you want to develop (depth first). You then find a path to reach to your goal.

If you can use your

- TKD "side kick", or
- Judo "hip throw"

to knock/take down everybody on this planet, you are a MA master. Since a general will need many soldiers to protect him. When you develop your major skill, you will also need to develop many minor skills to support your major skill. Your MA knowledge then start to be developed in the direction of breadth (breadth later).

Hip Throw = Seoi Nage. That's the technique meant, right?
Side Kick = Yop Chagi.
Just for some proper names of the techniques. The more you know, the better.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything you need you will learn in class, the fitness and flexibility develops as you train, the techniques will be taught. What you need to bring to class is an open mind and to leave your ego at the door. A sense of humour is useful though in any situation in life not least in martial arts :)

Northern Man

White Belt
Reaction score
Everything you need you will learn in class, the fitness and flexibility develops as you train, the techniques will be taught. What you need to bring to class is an open mind and to leave your ego at the door. A sense of humour is useful though in any situation in life not least in martial arts :)

Agreed, plus be prepared to get your *** kicked in sparring. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, plus be prepared to get your *** kicked in sparring. :)

Yep and then the thrill of realising after a while you're not losing as much! :D Either way though it's winning because you likely learn as much from losing as winning. Sparring hard is great fun ...or is that just me?

Northern Man

White Belt
Reaction score
Yep and then the thrill of realising after a while you're not losing as much! :D Either way though it's winning because you likely learn as much from losing as winning. Sparring hard is great fun ...or is that just me?

Yeah, as long as you try to figure out what they did that made you lose so you can try that on them the next time you get in a spar. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as long as you try to figure out what they did that made you lose so you can try that on them the next time you get in a spar. :)

A good instructor will teach you how to spar properly and help you work out to do better. I'm not in favour of places that just throw you in and tell you to get on with it, sparring like everything else has to be taught, a certain amount of instinct is good but on the whole people do need to be taught how to fight effectively.

Latest Discussions