Feedback wanted - Hiking in the Monadnocks

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just registered a copy of Lightroom and have been playing around with some pix of my hikes in the Monadnocks.

Comments and criticisms are more than welcome :)

Attachments

• $Grand Monadnock 065.jpg
    $Grand Monadnock 065.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 164
  • $Grand Monadnock 082.jpg
    $Grand Monadnock 082.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 175
  • $Cairn sign with Color Optimum preset.jpg
    $Cairn sign with Color Optimum preset.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 163
OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All six are from a climb up Grand Monadnock in Jaffrey, NH. The pix haven't made it to my facebook page yet :D

Attachments

• $Grand Monadnock 016.jpg
    $Grand Monadnock 016.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 156
  • $Grand Monadnock 077.jpg
    $Grand Monadnock 077.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 170
  • $Sky with autofix preset.jpg
    $Sky with autofix preset.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 168

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Very nice pictures

I climbed Monadnock many years ago and it was a nice climb but the most disappointing summit for some reason, however the view was spectacular.

I took the long way up and the short way down.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course its disappointing, there are no TREES! :D

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grand Monadnock and Mount Fuji are said to be the two most-climbed mountains in the world.

I think one of the reasons for the popularity of the Grand Monadnock climb is because monadnocks are isolated mountains, they are not part of a range. So, if you can get to the top, you can have a view in all directions.

I'll post some clips from the other directions in a few days, still sorting out the good from the bad ;)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice stuff, Carol. I have to concurr about the lack of trees tho (being a forest lover :D).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Of course its disappointing, there are no TREES! :D

No, there were trees there when I got there..... but when I left :EG: :D

I was thinking about it on the way home and I believe it was the fact that I took the long way up and saw almost no one else on the mountain and when I got to the top there were about 30 people huddled together on the summit.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, there were trees there when I got there..... but when I left :EG: :D

I was thinking about it on the way home and I believe it was the fact that I took the long way up and saw almost no one else on the mountain and when I got to the top there were about 30 people huddled together on the summit.

There are times when you walk the more popular trails that you are practically shoulder-to-shoulder with people. There are actually several people in my photo of the summit, but they are too small to see unless the photo is at full resolution (or higher).

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice stuff, Carol. I have to concurr about the lack of trees tho (being a forest lover :D).

Me too! Not only do I like trees, I learned that the lack of trees mean sunburn and dehydration....even in October.

Needless to say, I was in pretty rough shape on the trip down the mountain. :eek:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My sympathies - a long walk ahead when you're feeling the worse for wear is not a great prospect. I still recall the murderous trek down Ben Lomand with a ricked ankle :eek:uch:.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Try Mt Washington, but not this time of year it is likely snowing at the base already. I went up Lions head years ago and it was mighty cool, but you will be doing some semi-serious free climbing, unless things have changed since I was there That is unless I am just old and forgetful and can't remember the name of the train we took and I am just thinking it was Lionshead.

It is interesting since long before you get to the summit you are above the tree line and you also see that the bottoms of the clouds are flat.

But there are no trees up there, cold, lots of wind (Don't wear a rain poncho or you WILL become a kite and never be seen again) and of course there is, or use to be a restaurant up there as well.

But there are some GREAT photo ops on the mountain.

Last edited:
OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try Mt Washington, but not this time of year it is likely snowing at the base already. I went up Lions head years ago and it was mighty cool, but you will be doing some semi-serious free climbing, unless things have changed since I was there That is unless I am just old and forgetful and can't remember the name of the train we took and I am just thinking it was Lionshead.

It is interesting since long before you get to the summit you are above the tree line and you also see that the bottoms of the clouds are flat.

But there are no trees up there, cold, lots of wind (Don't wear a rain poncho or you WILL become a kite and never be seen again) and of course there is, or use to be a restaurant up there as well.

But there are some GREAT photo ops on the mountain.

Thats a goal of mine. I have to get in better shape for it though. But I plan on buying some warm boots and crampons and keeping the hikes up all winter. Why let a li'l bit of snow get in the way? ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thats a goal of mine. I have to get in better shape for it though. But I plan on buying some warm boots and crampons and keeping the hikes up all winter. Why let a li'l bit of snow get in the way? ;)

Be very careful on Mt Washington, most of the climb is not too bad, depending on which ravine you take, but the near and at summit is rather dangerous (year round, more so in the winter) and it has killed more than a few. The rain poncho thing I mentioned actually happened up there and there is a rather long list in the restaurant of those that went missing.

It’s a great climb just be careful, there are an awful lot of Maglites left that need to be shown whose the boss :D

Latest Discussions