FBI raids Dallas data centre, seizes all servers

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I'm withholding judgment until the warrant is unsealed.

IMO...also revealing will be when the warrant is unsealed, if its done on a Sunday (when many Americans are less connected with the news) or if its done on a Monday or Tuesday (when Americans are much more connected with the news).

Who says it will be unsealed? Thanks to the steady erosion of the last couple decades we have secret courts, secret laws, secret indictments and secret evidence.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who says it will be unsealed? Thanks to the steady erosion of the last couple decades we have secret courts, secret laws, secret indictments and secret evidence.

Dallas Morning News, 2-APR-09 "Once the warrant is unsealed in the next day or two, we'll know more about what sort of criminal case this is."

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, thats a good point, who knows indeed.

For all we know the Downloads cost them NOTHING in revenue loss, or it costs them MILLIONS... you just cannot predict that without making up a number.

Depends on situation, in some cases piracy might even increase sales. I suspect quite a few people have discovered new music through piracy and gone on to buy albums and attend live shows. But that's not going to help the big bands as much.

I dunno... I think its a fuzzy area. But confiscating the E911 Servers helps stop the piracy how?

Now the news is that it has something to do with fraud, someone ripping off AT&T or some other carrier for a good chunk. Still one business forcing the shut down of many smaller ones that are completely innocent in the situation though.

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Havenco has stopped the hosting off Sealand... hosting in Sweden is a bit stupid atm as well...
The piratebay has gone to Egypt... maybe that's a good place to go... ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now that the warrant has been unsealed...

Documents say AT&T and Verizon told investigators they believe they were being defrauded out of $6 million in a three to four month period by a group of investors working together, including Faulkner, Simpson, and three others.

No charges filed yet.

Personally I do feel very bad for the businesses affected by this. This is, however, a risk of depending on a colo for data services. Shared facilities, shared servers, shared bandwith, means a lower price for data services at a higher risk to the actual data.

The (old-school) telephone network is circuit-switched. To get a phone call from point a to point b means going across a hard-wired series of circuits, all precisely documented and all built to capacity. Tracing a phone call is very, very easy (from an engineering perspective). This permits CALEA regulations to be extremely precise - a LE agency must specify what part of a phone call (signaling, etc) they want to intercept when petitioning a judge for a warrant.

The internet is packet-switched. Getting data from point a to point b doesn't require the same precise hard wiring. It is a lot more flexible. Because of this, it is usually much cheaper to move a payload across the internet than across the phone network. The drawback is that data transactions are not as clear-cut and easy to trace as phone calls. This also means that CALEA legislation is not as precise.

http://cbs11tv.com/technology/Core.IP.Networks.2.975776.html

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
See, that makes sense. It may be an unfounded acusation by the phone companies to get out of paying there bills. Who knows, all will soon find out.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See, that makes sense. It may be an unfounded acusation by the phone companies to get out of paying there bills. Who knows, all will soon find out.

Unfounded accusations, even from big companies such as those two, are generally not enough to get the FBI involved, let alone getting them involved enough to where they have probable cause to petition for (and be awarded) two search warrants. This was the second time within a month that building had been raided.

In the 1970s, hackers found a way to hack the phone system with certain tones. This cannot be done these days, because there is a parallel data network that runs alongside the phone network that carries billing information was well as data that makes modern telephone features possible. (call waiting, caller ID, E-911, etc). This data network CAN be altered fraudulently...providing there are a few hundred thousand dollars of switching, signaling, and telco facilities available to the wanna-be defrauder, and the defrauder has knowledge of protocols that aren't taught in computer science courses.

My prediction...I think the data patterns have given the FBI has overwhelming evidence that the fraud is coming from that building, and they likely have overwhelming evidence that the fraud is coming from facilities associated with those two companies.

More difficult, is isolating (and proving) who committed the fraud.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was actually me making fun of the people who are paranoid about the government doing whatever it wants, how the FBI runs around with no ovesight like a bunch of cowboys from the days gone by, and that a few companys are so big they control the government and use it to cheat the system. I should have mentioned that.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Scamming and stealing and defrauding Verizon and AT&T of minutes and usage for Voice over IP. I can see this happening.

As to the Wolverine leak (* I did not know there was one. I guess I am out of the loop *), I am confused by this. A watched a History of TLC show a few years ago that had a secret service investigation into DVD frauds. This included an interview with a Sony executive that was surprised when a SS agent showed up with a copy of his latest planned released with all the security on it including halograms and other methods. He (SS) got it in China off of a Bus driver that was showing it so the people riding the bus.

I guess in China they do not respect Intellectual Rights, so they run one shift for the company and another shift for themselves. :(

I know guys I know who have gone to China have commented that it is easy to find DVD's of movies that have not been released in the theaters here in the states yet.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess in China they do not respect Intellectual Rights,

I think that is pretty common, to have less respect for other countries copyright then your own.

I suspect that most people would see copying foreign films (that where in another language, or even sub-titled) as less of a infringement then copying the latest hollywood blockbuster.

There is also less motivation to deal with it. They would be spending Chinese money to protect the interests of American businesses, with no real benefit to the Chinese. It's just a cost to them, the people have to then pay more for the movies, and pay more indirectly for the enforcement. The only beneficiaries are over seas, and have a habit of saying nasty things about their country anyways.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that is pretty common, to have less respect for other countries copyright then your own.

I suspect that most people would see copying foreign films (that where in another language, or even sub-titled) as less of a infringement then copying the latest hollywood blockbuster.

There is also less motivation to deal with it. They would be spending Chinese money to protect the interests of American businesses, with no real benefit to the Chinese. It's just a cost to them, the people have to then pay more for the movies, and pay more indirectly for the enforcement. The only beneficiaries are over seas, and have a habit of saying nasty things about their country anyways.

Andrew,

I agree about culture and feelings about rights, but just a point. I was talking about the latest Hollywood Blockbuster. Go over to China before it is released here by 6 months, and take a bus ride and watch the movie. By three or four copies of it with all the same as here security for about $10 or less.

Latest Discussions