Favoritism with online forum discussions

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
With that in mind, I shall feed the flame no more.

See ya Beau, tell Phil I said Hi.

Absolutaly, I'll tell him and the gang hello from you and Mr. Ed. I'm really glad to have been able to bring this issue out and provide a whole day of open discussion. Granted I guess you are right, it would be a lot easier to just hyperlink everything rather than copy paste. Sure would have saved me a lot of Alt-Tab action and let my poor fingers take a rest.

I think we pretty much have established that Phil was more the problem than his point of view. I was more concerned that it was the point of view not the person that brought on this action over the weekend. I say a lot of stuff here as well and just wanted to know where the pendulum was swinging on that matter. That is a pretty definitive, opinions are cool...just dont be an *** about it.

Cool beans.

BTW:

Since obeying the law means nothing to you, and you hate it here so much, that you will seek to distroy this place, why the **** are you here?
Good show...

Nice work on that one...I'll have to getting a better magic 8 ball as my plans have been foiled. ...What the hell, I have been at this place for a long time and like being able to ask questions and such. And I HARDLY think I'm going to do anything like that. There are WAY too many good things about this place, like umm... the +18 section, Jokes are good, the study for one, and meeting fellow martial artists from my region of the world. I was just concerned that this place was turning into a place that would stomp out ideas...but since its just a guy that acted like a jerk at times, I'm cool now.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the record, everything is cool between Phil and I. We've enjoyed a long and mutually beneficial relationship over these past few years, and I am sorry to see this phase of it end. I have an account on his forum, and am welcome there. This was simply a matter of things growing in different directions, and the resultant 'growing pains' that happen. Phil was the one who asked me to remove his forum here, so that we could stop the headaches for both of us. I did as he asked, glad the problems would start to end, but sad to see things end up as they did. There are a number of hurt egos, feelings and relationships that resulted from all the bickering. I think it's time for the healing to begin.

Beau, you've put me in a difficult position here. You have created another mess, and blatantly gone through considerable effort to fan the flames of anger, as well as flagrantly violated numerous easily found rules. But you're one of those people who helped me out a short period ago when I really needed it. So, what do I do with you?

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
For the record, everything is cool between Phil and I. We've enjoyed a long and mutually beneficial relationship over these past few years, and I am sorry to see this phase of it end. I have an account on his forum, and am welcome there. This was simply a matter of things growing in different directions, and the resultant 'growing pains' that happen. Phil was the one who asked me to remove his forum here, so that we could stop the headaches for both of us. I did as he asked, glad the problems would start to end, but sad to see things end up as they did. There are a number of hurt egos, feelings and relationships that resulted from all the bickering. I think it's time for the healing to begin.

Beau, you've put me in a difficult position here. You have created another mess, and blatantly gone through considerable effort to fan the flames of anger, as well as flagrantly violated numerous easily found rules. But you're one of those people who helped me out a short period ago when I really needed it. So, what do I do with you?

I'll take a couple days off and let the dust settle. No biggy, Little vacation isnt a big deal. Just drop me with a couple day suspension, I learned my lesson. I'll just ask you or the mods next time. Granted I could have just asked a little more covertly or just PM'ed all the Mods rather than allow something like this more air to breath. I just wasn't thinking of that as a action is all. I just kinda wanted to see everyone's collective opinion. I got it and now I'm cool. Sorry to put you in a bind like that.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
I'll take a couple days off and let the dust settle. No biggy, Little vacation isnt a big deal. Just drop me with a couple day suspension, I learned my lesson. I'll just ask you or the mods next time. Granted I could have just asked a little more covertly or just PM'ed all the Mods rather than allow something like this more air to breath. I just wasn't thinking of that as a action is all. I just kinda wanted to see everyone's collective opinion. I got it and now I'm cool. Sorry to put you in a bind like that.
At the same time, this issue did need to be discussed, out in the open. We lost a forum, and a significant contributor of content. That hurts a community, irrespective of the circumstances. The discussion needed to happen somewhere, somehow. I see no reason to have hid it from the membership. Hell, you obviously weren't the only guy that noticed he was gone.

Besides, how else would michaeledward have known unless we brought it up? :lol2:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:

Good post, Beau. :asian:

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Edmund BlackAdder said:
Hmm.
Seems mr. safken there is violating this sites TOS.
Mr. Blackadder. If you'd care to use the Report To Moderator feature when you see a rule violation, that'd be great. It's located in the upper right hand of the post. It looks like a little white triangle with a red border and an exclamation mark in the middle. If you'd care to become a moderator, an application can be found here. Until then, I'm sure our Mod staff can handle things just fine. Thanks for your concern.

-Dan Bowman-
-MT SuperMod-

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
just dont be an *** about it.

beau_safken said:
BTW:

Good show...

Nice work on that one...I'll have to getting a better magic 8 ball as my plans have been foiled. ...What the hell, I have been at this place for a long time and like being able to ask questions and such. And I HARDLY think I'm going to do anything like that. There are WAY too many good things about this place, like umm... the +18 section, Jokes are good, the study for one, and meeting fellow martial artists from my region of the world. I was just concerned that this place was turning into a place that would stomp out ideas...but since its just a guy that acted like a jerk at times, I'm cool now.

I think your getting your people mixed up here. Although the first quote was mine, the second wasn't and although being called an *** doesn't exactly thrill me I have been called worse so I will just have to take the source into consideration.

have a nice day beau

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I cannot believe as a relatively new member of this site, all the commotion created by this saga. Are we not all grown adults? People of (in the main) good repute? People who, if are not "martial" artists, or martial "artists", have a deep passion for the "martial arts", that are getting drawn into a petty argument about a man who voiced his opinions albeit in a very seemingly confrontational manner. This seems to have turned into a playground argument.... "He said/she said etc"...

I like this site. I'm on most days while at work. There are people I disagree with, and once or twice I've responded when I probably shouldn't have, but I've "tried" to check myself before being drawn in too much, and never to such an extent that I contemplated leaving. Yes we have the right to disagree. Yes we have the right to debate. We also have the right to walk away and maintain the opinion that some/all people will always be bigotted in certain ways. I stumbled across a body building/weight lifting website a few days ago whereby 8 or 9 members on one thread took to denigrating all MA study as a total waste of time, and that those that practiced it, regardless of the style/system/leaning were idiots who liked to dress up in pyjamas. This thread went on for around 5 pages or thereabouts, I was so angry I was about to register with the site, and take issue with the views being put forward. I stopped. Who was I to argue with them. The problem with arguing with idiots is that they always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I walked away. Sound in the knowledge that "I" am happy with what I do, I have the bruises, black eyes and scrapes to prove it, plus the awareness.

From what I saw of the posts discussed I totally understand why he rubbed people up the wrong way, but even if you couldn't add him to the ignore list, you could actually just ignore him. Walk away. Sorry for sounding sanctamonius, but it's my view (and I'm right! - joke!!) that in situations such as this, you cannot convince some people of their differing of opinions, and it's best to avoid getting angry and letting the little vain in the side of your head get the better of you.

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I think your getting your people mixed up here. Although the first quote was mine, the second wasn't and although being called an *** doesn't exactly thrill me I have been called worse so I will just have to take the source into consideration.

have a nice day beau

You have the people mixed up. That was ear-marked for Mr. Ed. not you. Unless I assumed incorrectly regarding that little comment I received.

Had a great day today. It was sunny all morning and afternoon. Then in the evening just before going home from work the fog started to billow into the bay. I took my cousin that got into town up to the Empress and did some mai tai's and sake bombs. Nothing like chilling and watching the fog envelop the hills and coit tower. Filet for dinner so juicy and buttery I didn't need a knife, and there was fireworks over the bay. Wonderful day.

Kensai:
Absolutely correct.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
You have the people mixed up. That was ear-marked for Mr. Ed. not you. Unless I assumed incorrectly regarding that little comment I received.

Had a great day today. It was sunny all morning and afternoon. Then in the evening just before going home from work the fog started to billow into the bay. I took my cousin that got into town up to the Empress and did some mai tai's and sake bombs. Nothing like chilling and watching the fog envelop the hills and coit tower. Filet for dinner so juicy and buttery I didn't need a knife, and there was fireworks over the bay. Wonderful day.

Kensai:
Absolutely correct.
Hey Beau :) my Samurai of the Stapler what is going on here my friend? You are truly a sink for bullies here and seem to attract many missiles to the heat from your exhausts and I am certain this is not pleasant for you because I know you are a genuinely good and honest guy.

I hope you stay around while you still DO have that heat in your exhausts because there are many posters I will say on many boards who languish there trying to ignite their afterburners with gratuitous arguments and bickering LONG after their fuel is expended.....

You go to the pier in your wonderful town it is a lovely place down there I know and listen to the gulls and watch the pelicans and have a think about all the things you offer by continuing to post here and for what little it is worth I will support you with that :)

Be good and think clear and even if it is true: there is no spoon.... we can eat it with our hands, LOL.

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

MardiGras Bandit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Phil left, that's his business. It's a loss to MartialTalk because he was fun to have around, but so is everyone else. Phil was just a troll who couldn't argue as well as most trolls can, and despite his claims of never being outwitted he was made to look silly in virtually every MA related thread he posted on. A lot of people who argue with him fall back to the "you don't have experience" line, which is a shame because it is far eaiser (and more ammusing) to pick his ideas apart then to use strawmen. As much as he knocks people doing this, Phil relies on it because he is a subpar debater when real issues are presented.

That said, I'm 100% sure he has reregistered on this forum under a new name. If it's not him it's one of his PB buddies.

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Hey Beau :) my Samurai of the Stapler what is going on here my friend? You are truly a sink for bullies here and seem to attract many missiles to the heat from your exhausts and I am certain this is not pleasant for you because I know you are a genuinely good and honest guy.

I hope you stay around while you still DO have that heat in your exhausts because there are many posters I will say on many boards who languish there trying to ignite their afterburners with gratuitous arguments and bickering LONG after their fuel is expended.....

You go to the pier in your wonderful town it is a lovely place down there I know and listen to the gulls and watch the pelicans and have a think about all the things you offer by continuing to post here and for what little it is worth I will support you with that :)

Be good and think clear and even if it is true: there is no spoon.... we can eat it with our hands, LOL.

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Don't you worry Lady Jenna, I'll be around.

Hell ya, going on the piers and yelling at the sea lions is hella fun. It was kinda cool last night for sure. Has some drunk college kids running around the embarcedaro singing and making noise, little kids doing some kind of game on the sidewalk and a wispy pink sunset. That was really nice because its tough to be made about your week at work like a tall frothy beer and overlooking the bay. Gotta love it. Plus today is gonna be sunny and I'll be over at the beach so man of man...gonna be fun today.

:D