Favoritism with online forum discussions

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:
I would just hate to see all conflict ruled out here, that would become boring to the extreme.
While it just may be the wording used: debate is encouraged, conflict is not.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Edmund BlackAdder said:
4-Phil refused to follow this sites posted rules. I will quote them here.
MartialTalk Rules, section 800, subsection 50, paragraph 6,000

Please Edmund, if you'd like to quote the rules, do so without unnecessary exaggeration. It can be confusing.

Thank you.

egg

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with "conflict" unless laws are broken or some sort of harm/damage is being done. Debate is just verbal conflict as I see it.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Beau... I gotta ask, what are you trying to accomplish here with this thread?

I read your little post over at PB (yeah, I am a member there too, have been for some time now) and saw your inclination to come back and infect Martial Talk:

We should be able to infect places on the same level those that screwed with you did

I hope the Mods take GOOD note of that and keep a careful eye on your posts.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:
Not really, just responding to ideas being presented. In the long run, this site is privately owned and the owners can do whatever they want. I have no problem with that. I would just hate to see all conflict ruled out here, that would become boring to the extreme.

Fair enough. I understand that I can present my thoughts, as well as can others. They are just my thoughts and opinions and it is the responsibility of others to decide for themselves whether or not to agree with me. That's the whole point of what an opinion is. I am not going to jam my opinion down anyone's throat. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to express that and I certainly won't get hostile for it, but I also expect any dissenters to not jam their dissent down my throat. If you disagree, do your best to convince me as I will do my best to convince you. But understand that much of what is being expressed here is opinion, and cannot be held up as absolute truth.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
beau_safken said:
:fanboy: How many freaking books of rules are there here???? Paragraph 6000? :idunno:
This sites rules are easily found by clicking the link at the top called, ironically, "rules".
Or here: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141&

At the very top is a sticky outlining what are the key rules. The rest look to be more detailed "clarifications" for those "rules lawyers" who need to be told very specifically what is and is not ok. Most of these are common sense things.

My comments concerning rule/section/paragraph was a joke, aimed at those who will insist that there are too many rules, or that they are too hard to understand, or they are too hard to find, etc. Of all the sites I've visited, I find MT's to be the most complete, easily located, and fairly enforced.

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Beau... I gotta ask, what are you trying to accomplish here with this thread?

I read your little post over at PB (yeah, I am a member there too, have been for some time now) and saw your inclination to come back and infect Martial Talk:

I hope the Mods take GOOD note of that and keep a careful eye on your posts.

Hell Here is a link my post over there, where I am tracking this one.

I just find it amazing how this MartialTalk turned on somebody like that. Granted there could be some better choices of words by a lot of people, myself included. Regardless, if one person's opinion no matter how different, strange, false, idiotic...its still an opinion. Just hit the ignore button and then you never have to see anything from that person again. On top of that, Phil also helped support this forum monetarily. It's just odd that someone who pays to help this place would get chased off.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
I just find it amazing how this MartialTalk turned on somebody like that. Granted there could be some better choices of words by a lot of people, myself included. Regardless, if one person's opinion no matter how different, strange, false, idiotic...its still an opinion. Just hit the ignore button and then you never have to see anything from that person again.
Phil's problems here had to do with his blatant disrespect for the forum staff. Stop trying to make him a martyr.
On top of that, Phil also helped support this forum monetarily. It's just odd that someone who pays to help this place would get chased off.
You might want to double-check your facts more carefully.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Fair enough. I understand that I can present my thoughts, as well as can others. They are just my thoughts and opinions and it is the responsibility of others to decide for themselves whether or not to agree with me. That's the whole point of what an opinion is. I am not going to jam my opinion down anyone's throat. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to express that and I certainly won't get hostile for it, but I also expect any dissenters to not jam their dissent down my throat. If you disagree, do your best to convince me as I will do my best to convince you. But understand that much of what is being expressed here is opinion, and cannot be held up as absolute truth.

Understood. IMO ( ;) ) there are a number of others with similar attitudes and writing styles around here. I just think Phil was a larger and more prominent target than them. Granted he painted those targets on himself and of his own free will.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:
Understood. IMO ( ;) ) there are a number of others with similar attitudes and writing styles around here. I just think Phil was a larger and more prominent target than them. Granted he painted those targets on himself and of his own free will.

Gotcha. Full agreement.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree with those who place the blame where belongs - which is primarily on Phil. I entered one - and only one - conversation with him, in which his repeated content amounted to "I'm right because I say I am, and you're wrong because you're stupid enough to disagree with me", in terms that increased steadily in vitriol when I refused to back down, and only ended when I stated that I would not continue to respond to him - and then stopped posting on that thread.

Does Phil have some good ideas? Sometimes, and if you can stay awake through the verbiage he uses - but I gave up on doing more than skimming through his posts, and never responded to threads he started or directly to him on other threads, because his attitude when he was disagreed with wasn't worth any information he ever presented.

As others have said, and you are so obviously aware, Phil has his own forum - if he chose to withdraw from this site because the moderators enforced the rules of the site and didn't wish to follow them, then that was his choice. By watching when and how his account was suspended, and seeing his hosted forum become a subscription group only because of the rudeness (and eventual crudity) of his responses, I have to commend the forbearance of the moderators for not banning him - and I'll be honest, that one run-in I had with him nearly drove me from this site, and only the support from the moderators and mentors kept me here at the time.

I've been on other sites that are not as well moderated (and in one case, not moderated at all), and the people who refuse to accept any viewpoint but their own drive off all those who disagree, and then sit back and badmouth the ones who left as cowards, for not taking their self-stated superiority as a given. I have no desire to watch that happen here, nor do I see any reason why you should be allowed to pick up the mantle he dropped by leaving... but that is up to your own behavior, and to the moderators.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Hell Here is a link my post over there, where I am tracking this one.

I just find it amazing how this MartialTalk turned on somebody like that. Granted there could be some better choices of words by a lot of people, myself included. Regardless, if one person's opinion no matter how different, strange, false, idiotic...its still an opinion. Just hit the ignore button and then you never have to see anything from that person again. On top of that, Phil also helped support this forum monetarily. It's just odd that someone who pays to help this place would get chased off.

And I truly find it amazing that you would feel this way and post about it when you don't know the whole story.

Beau, with all due respect, one should not formulate opinions such as yours based on what you have read on another's site. You don't know the entire story. You don't know all the details and truly I feel you are not doing yourself justice by taking a side on this.

As far as the monetary part of your post goes. I support this forum as well as many others. Just because Phil paid his supporting membership like the rest of us did does not make him better then anyone else.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shhh !

Is he really gone? For good, you mean?

Wow!

It was not easy to add Phil Elmore to your Ignore List. As he was given the permissions of a moderator to operate his own forum, he could not manually be added to an ignore list - I know. I tried. Mr. Hubbard had to hard code the change from the server side.

Just a note on that Bob. Once you completed that move, I could no longer add from my Ignore List

I wish Mr. Elmore peace and happiness, somewhere far from me.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
Hmm.
Seems mr. safken there is violating this sites TOS.
"Ownership of Posts - All posts and content become the property of MartialTalk.com except for text and images that are themselves on copyright.
Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written consent is not permitted."
http://www.paxbaculum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4824

Unless, you have permission to copy almost the entire contents of this thread there? I think 1 or 2 posts might be acceptable, but, with the extent you have posted, I think it crosses "Fair Use".

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You do all of course realize that if Phil is aware of this thread, and he probably is, he is absolutely thrilled at what is going on here.
You can't be serious....

beau_safken said:
I just find it amazing how this MartialTalk turned on somebody like that.

Turned on someone that absolutely refused to see any other side of an issue other than his. Absolutely refused to answer questions that could refute his claim. And for all intensive purposes declared himself an expert based on the fact he said he was.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
Mr. Safken is enjoying himself incredibly over there, basking in just how much of a troll he is being here.

In his own words:
"I'll post all the responses so you guys dont have to register. "
"No worries...I'll post the replies here so you don't have to go anywhere. I'll add them to this post "
"I guess I am a little trollish by doing this whole thing...but I don't care."
"Dear god...Im gonna need my flame suit for the onslaught that will be coming my way now.... Very Happy "

Phil is aware of the thread.
"Good grief, man. They're going to flame you a crispy brown for that.
Thanks, though.
"
That is the second post in the mess.
and of course, the intellect shines through with this comment: "I wouldn't be surprised if you get "disciplined" for posting it, to be honest. I'm sure there is a rule somewhere in their scores of pages of rules that covers it."

Yes Phil, there is. Its at the bottom of every page here. Hard to miss, as it's located right next to that big copyright statement. It's also in the rules in at least 2 places. See, when I get a vacation, I read more. :rofl:

Sorry Beau, I see this thread as little more than an angry, and childish attempt to further disrupt this site, and spit in the face ot its staff, rules and owner.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Edmund BlackAdder said:
Mr. Safken is enjoying himself incredibly over there, basking in just how much of a troll he is being here.

In his own words:
"I'll post all the responses so you guys dont have to register. "
"No worries...I'll post the replies here so you don't have to go anywhere. I'll add them to this post "
"I guess I am a little trollish by doing this whole thing...but I don't care."
"Dear god...Im gonna need my flame suit for the onslaught that will be coming my way now.... Very Happy "

Phil is aware of the thread.
"Good grief, man. They're going to flame you a crispy brown for that.
Thanks, though.
"
That is the second post in the mess.
and of course, the intellect shines through with this comment: "I wouldn't be surprised if you get "disciplined" for posting it, to be honest. I'm sure there is a rule somewhere in their scores of pages of rules that covers it."

Yes Phil, there is. Its at the bottom of every page here. Hard to miss, as it's located right next to that big copyright statement. It's also in the rules in at least 2 places. See, when I get a vacation, I read more. :rofl:

Sorry Beau, I see this thread as little more than an angry, and childish attempt to further disrupt this site, and spit in the face ot its staff, rules and owner.

With that in mind, I shall feed the flame no more.

See ya Beau, tell Phil I said Hi.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My friends and Fine Fellows:

This is turning into a bit of a monkey poo-flinging fest. Can everybody please rein it in? There is no need for all this in this, or any other forum.

I know we can all behave with decorum. Let's do just that, shall we?

thank you

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just find it amazing how this MartialTalk turned on somebody like that.

Beua I'm asking as a member for you to please let this go, I believe enough damage has been done and I for one really would like this forum to get back on track about Martial Arts and other fine pieces of work we have here.

I do appreciate everybody concern over the other gentleman but he is a man and will bounce back on his two feet without anu interferance from this forum.

Thank You All
Terry Lee Stoker

Latest Discussions