Favorite Vagabond Kung Fu clips?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone have some favorite Vagabond Kung Fu video clips that they would like to share? Doesn't matter whether they are from a training environment or more of a show/demo environment.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's always been kind of "...oh I learned from my neighbor's uncle's friend who's the cook at Hung So Low Chinese restaurant when I was 5 before going to the kumite..." type of thing. So I'm waiting to hear more ...

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's always been kind of "...oh I learned from my neighbor's uncle's friend who's the cook at Hung So Low Chinese restaurant when I was 5 before going to the kumite..." type of thing.
I've eaten there. Avoid the chicken balls.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Vagabond kung fu?
beggar.jpg

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lol i'm pretty sure vagabond/beggar's kung fu is made up by people who read too much Jin Yong (Louis Cha)but if you think its real here it is
降龙十八掌 18 Dragon Slaying Palms

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe it's a catch-all for practitioners who learned some skills and got good at them ... without following (or leading) one established style.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chickens have balls?

Not that I know of. Which would be good reason to avoid them in shady restaurants that claim they do :D

I might need to ask the question a little differently, I'm way out of my element when it comes to the CMAs.

I went to visit a friend, and when I arrived she had on a DVD of a Chinese martial artists performing on a large theatre stage. She loved the performance and commented that it was one of her favorite DVDs.

She stopped in to see me recently when I was quite ill. I couldn't talk very much so we mostly hung out trading YouTube clips on the Roku box. I remember she liked the Chinese performance so I pulled up this clip of Mind, Body, and Kickass Moves that has GM Leung Ting performing some techniques that are more theatrical in nature.

My friend was enthralled by the clip. She works at a very popular public park and said there is a fellow that comes out from time to time to put on demonstrations of "Vagabond Kung Fu" So....is Vagabond Kung Fu a thing?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never heard of it, I'd wager the fellow just calls it that. Why is the question. Next time she sees him, she might just ask what it's about and why he calls it what he does.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's a link on the subject from my earlier post, which I can't seem to edit for clarity ...

Beggar s or Vagabond Style Kung Fu
Mm...ok, I'm finding this article smacks of fantasy and fairy tale. Interesting story but there's just way too much about it that doesn't have the ring of truth to it. I think someone came up with this story to sell to the gullible, and unfortunately some people bought it.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fair enough. It's not like there's a lot of material on this. ;)

... but its fairy-tale nature looks pretty familiar. Just change the names of the sages and the poetic-sounding moves, and we have a lot of martial arts history. This is one of those times where I just tell myself to shut up and practice. Who knows what the history is?

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do
Fair enough. It's not like there's a lot of material on this. ;)

... but its fairy-tale nature looks pretty familiar. Just change the names of the sages and the poetic-sounding moves, and we have a lot of martial arts history. This is one of those times where I just tell myself to shut up and practice. Who knows what the history is?

Heehee, I'll see you and raise you one Filipino blind princess :D

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The stunts that GM Leung Ting was performing on the TV clip, is that something that an advanced WC practitioner would learn? Or is it not something that would be part of the curriculum?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
The stunts that GM Leung Ting was performing on the TV clip, is that something that an advanced WC practitioner would learn? Or is it not something that would be part of the curriculum?

No. LT is very pragmatic and has little patience for that sort of thing. He showed us some of those tricks before but only to expose them and make fun of them.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No. LT is very pragmatic and has little patience for that sort of thing. He showed us some of those tricks before but only to expose them and make fun of them.

That's what I thought -- it seems out of place for a fighting style known for being compact and efficient. Even so, we found the tricks to be quite entertaining. I hope the "Vagabond" fellow returns to her park this year. I'd like to see him perform myself.

Latest Discussions