Why don't Kung fu forms feature many hooks or uppercuts

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hooks and uppercuts are rather common punches so why aren't they common in kung fu forms? Most forms have mostly straight punches.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The simplest explanation?

in forms in any style, A punch is not always a punch and a grab is not always a grab.

The grab at the collar could be an uppercut, and the punch to the chest could just the little push needed for a takedown.

Remember forms have the literal movement (i.e. what you call it for the sake of teaching a new studemt a new form) and interpreted movements (how a student feels he can use a movement) and these things arent always the same.

So there could be uppercuts and hooks in forms depending on interpretation.

now, im not a KF guy, ive only ever met one KF guy and i couldnt tell you which style he was from. But the form he did at the tournament had a few moves that could have been uppercuts.

For all i know about Kung Fu, it could be the one style where forms arent based on interpretation lol That was just a general rule of thumb with forms

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hooks and uppercuts are rather common punches so why aren't they common in kung fu forms? Most forms have mostly straight punches.

Short answer...they do train them, you just have to know what your looking at.

They train elbows strikes, shoulder strikes and knees too...old CMA saying "the body is a fist"

hawkryger

White Belt
Reaction score
In Northern Mantis KF there is a pretty big variety of punches, including uppercuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They train elbows strikes, shoulder strikes and knees too...old CMA saying "the body is a fist"
Yeah. It's my understanding that the application of CMA styles is pretty much "whatever you got, use it," even though the forms might not show it. Also, while sometimes the principles may sound vague ("use circles!") they broaden the applicability of the various techniques.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Have you seen many Seven Star Praying Mantis forms?

This is just a quick link to one that springs to mind (I can post others when i'm not so busy). Its not at full speed.

Mui Far Low Kuen - M-Kung-Fu - Seven Star Mantis Kung Fu:

OP
Q

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Short answer...they do train them, you just have to know what your looking at.

Haha i know kung fu people train them Im one myself

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gok Choi... Jyu Geng Pao Choi... base techniques in Lama Pai that I practice. Hook & Uppercut right there & are in forms all over the place.

OP
Q

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
okay..... then why did you ask the question?
I thought people in the past drilled a lot of forms for training and if they wanted to get better at those basic strikes they would have them in the forms.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought people in the past drilled a lot of forms for training and if they wanted to get better at those basic strikes they would have them in the forms.

They are in forms, someome posted a video of a form with many uppercuts

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Like I said, they are there, and they are there in many forms; Taijiquan, Baguazhang and Xingyiquan too... but there is a lot more to "basics" that a hook and an uppercut

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

There was also a lot of fighting at the drop of hat for training. It wasn't all just forms with a sifu sitting in a chair watching & drinking tea. There was copious amounts of contact. That's why we have what we have "now" and you can only guesstimate what fell by the wayside because of a good *** beating or worse.

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Han Shi Yi Quan we use a natural arm swing. It is in our pi, zuan, beng, pao and heng quan. When utilizing the six directions the "up" is the uppercut.

OP
Q

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Han Shi Yi Quan we use a natural arm swing. It is in our pi, zuan, beng, pao and heng quan. When utilizing the six directions the "up" is the uppercut.
i've seen Xing yi Quan, very practical and non-flowery, quick question: Is Xing Yi forms all like Pi Quan, Ben quan.... Just Single movements and not long and choreographed like other styles?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
i've seen Xing yi Quan, very practical and non-flowery, quick question: Is Xing Yi forms all like Pi Quan, Ben quan.... Just Single movements and not long and choreographed like other styles?

Quick answer...no

You are only talking about the 5 elements fists which are practiced individually and as part of a 5 elements linking fist form where they are all practiced together. However in a fight, they do not come in any order.

There is also a Bashi form in some styles and in all styles there re 12 (or 10 depending on style) animals forms whsich are also practices individually and then latter in a linking form

Basic concept in Xingyi 5 elements fist, but not to be adhered to tightly, because fights don't always flow this way

In Xingyiquan Wu Xing (5 elements) you can classify every attack into one of those elements and counter and classify the counter and then counter and so on and so on.

Attack with wood respond with metal,
Wood then can changes to fire to counter metal,
metal change to water to counter fire,
Fire changes to earth to counter water
Water changes to wood to counter earth
Earth changes to metal to counter wood
And you are back at the beginning

piquan – splitting fist – metal
zuanquan – drilling fist – water
bengquan –smashing fist – wood
paoquan – pounding fist – fire
hengquan – crossing fist - earth

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
---------------------------------------------------
You may not have seen them. The wing chun that I do has hooks and upper cuts and other punches. But they are done with wing chun mechanics - not western boxing mechanics

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'm not sure at what Kung Fu Style you are looking at but the style that I train in is loaded with them. The very first form that we learn as beginners has a hook. The very first punch (before learning to jab) has a hook and an uppercut. I think Kung Fu is just more deceptive about deploying hooks and uppercuts so you may not realize that one has actually been thrown because it's not thrown in the same way as western boxing (as vajramusti touched on)

Latest Discussions