Favorite Sources for Non-Martial Topics?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
@Bill -- That's quite a diverse reading list! One entry that I find especially surprising is Aleister Crowley's enigmatic Book of Lies. Perhaps you could give some small inkling as to what lead you to include Crowley on your list?

It's interesting that you should hone in on that one particular reference. I will try to give you some references, but in honesty, the entire book contains code for martial arts training in a very 'holistic' sense.

Let's take this one:
THE LEOPARD AND THE DEER
The spots of the leopard are the sunlight in the glade; pursue thou the deer stealthily at thy pleasure.
The dappling of the deer is the sunlight in the glade; concealed from the leopard do thou feed at thy pleasure.
Resemble all that surroundeth thee; yet be Thyself—and take thy pleasure among the living.
This is that which is written—Lurk!—in The Book of The Law.​

I have underlined the most obvious part in the quote above.

This one is right out of the basic Eight Laws of the Fist:

SAMPSON
The Universe is in equilibrium; therefore He that is without it, though his force be but a feather, can overturn the Universe.
Be not caught within that web, O child of Freedom! Be not entangled in the universal lie, O child of Truth!​

"A person's unbalance is the same as a weight."

THE MOUNTAINEER
Consciousness is a symptom of disease.
All that moves well moves without will.
All skillfulness, all strain, all intention is contrary to ease.
Practise a thousand times, and it becomes difficult; a thousand thousand, and it becomes easy; a thousand thousand times a thousand thousand, and it is no longer Thou that doeth it, but It that doeth itself through thee. Not until then is that which is done well done.
Thus spoke FRATER PERDURABO as he leapt from rock to rock of the moraine without ever casting his eyes upon the ground.​

The above quote speaks of the necessity of training and repetition, delves into the Japanese notion of 'mushin', and takes it even further.

When you practice kihon and kata over and over and over again, you begin to do it without thinking. This brings you to a state of mushin, where your body reacts without conscious thought (another of the Eight Laws of the Fist). Taken to extremes, and you're not doing karate - karate is moving within you.

Or at least that's how I am currently thinking of it. I'm a long way away from that kind of karate. But I think I can see it ahead on the path.

Hopefully that helps. I really enjoy the entire book, such as it is. There's a lot of gibberish; in my opinion, it was placed there intentionally to distract those who are incapable of absorbing the simple truths expressed. Likewise the mystical or quasi-religious aspects. Those that see it as that miss the point, but that was by intent, I believe.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's interesting that you should hone in on that one particular reference. I will try to give you some references, but in honesty, the entire book contains code for martial arts training in a very 'holistic' sense.

Let's take this one:
THE LEOPARD AND THE DEER
The spots of the leopard are the sunlight in the glade; pursue thou the deer stealthily at thy pleasure.
The dappling of the deer is the sunlight in the glade; concealed from the leopard do thou feed at thy pleasure.
Resemble all that surroundeth thee; yet be Thyself—and take thy pleasure among the living.
This is that which is written—Lurk!—in The Book of The Law.​

I have underlined the most obvious part in the quote above.

This one is right out of the basic Eight Laws of the Fist:

SAMPSON
The Universe is in equilibrium; therefore He that is without it, though his force be but a feather, can overturn the Universe.
Be not caught within that web, O child of Freedom! Be not entangled in the universal lie, O child of Truth!​

"A person's unbalance is the same as a weight."

THE MOUNTAINEER
Consciousness is a symptom of disease.
All that moves well moves without will.
All skillfulness, all strain, all intention is contrary to ease.
Practise a thousand times, and it becomes difficult; a thousand thousand, and it becomes easy; a thousand thousand times a thousand thousand, and it is no longer Thou that doeth it, but It that doeth itself through thee. Not until then is that which is done well done.
Thus spoke FRATER PERDURABO as he leapt from rock to rock of the moraine without ever casting his eyes upon the ground.​

The above quote speaks of the necessity of training and repetition, delves into the Japanese notion of 'mushin', and takes it even further.

When you practice kihon and kata over and over and over again, you begin to do it without thinking. This brings you to a state of mushin, where your body reacts without conscious thought (another of the Eight Laws of the Fist). Taken to extremes, and you're not doing karate - karate is moving within you.

Or at least that's how I am currently thinking of it. I'm a long way away from that kind of karate. But I think I can see it ahead on the path.

Hopefully that helps. I really enjoy the entire book, such as it is. There's a lot of gibberish; in my opinion, it was placed there intentionally to distract those who are incapable of absorbing the simple truths expressed. Likewise the mystical or quasi-religious aspects. Those that see it as that miss the point, but that was by intent, I believe.
Do you think the meaning you take from it is intentional?

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they dont have a "sarcastic" emoji. Ashida Kim books are not worth wiping your butt with.
Then they do his videos perfect justice. I think they must be excellent reading - like reading the book "English, How she is spoke" (a treatise on spoken English, written IIRC in Portuguese by a non-English speaker, then translated via two translation dictionaries (with French or Spanish being the intermediary language).

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think the meaning you take from it is intentional?
I don't know about that work, but my impression is that much of the meaning we draw from literature (and movies, and paintings, and music) has much more to do with us than with the artist.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know about that work, but my impression is that much of the meaning we draw from literature (and movies, and paintings, and music) has much more to do with us than with the artist.
Ehhhhh... I don't know if I would go that far. I'd say some of the meaning we draw is personal, but it's very, very important to distinguish between what was intended and what was not. Any art form has layers. But educating oneself about what was intended by the artist or author is a huge part of understanding what the art really means. Sure, you can draw further meaning from it, but that's actually, IMO, a small part of it, and in fact can lead you down a rabbit hole that is opposite of what was really meant by the artist or author.

And, of course, there is value in drawing personal meaning from art, but I would propose that it should be done intentionally, understanding how it deviates from the intentions of the author.

So, getting back to this, I asked because I'm not familiar with this and just wanted to know if this was personal interpretation or what the author intended.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

True, sometimes. But tell me, is "Moby Dick" a book about a whale?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ehhhhh... I don't know if I would go that far. I'd say some of the meaning we draw is personal, but it's very, very important to distinguish between what was intended and what was not. Any art form has layers. But educating oneself about what was intended by the artist or author is a huge part of understanding what the art really means. Sure, you can draw further meaning from it, but that's actually, IMO, a small part of it, and in fact can lead you down a rabbit hole that is opposite of what was really meant by the artist or author.

And, of course, there is value in drawing personal meaning from art, but I would propose that it should be done intentionally, understanding how it deviates from the intentions of the author.

So, getting back to this, I asked because I'm not familiar with this and just wanted to know if this was personal interpretation or what the author intended.

Aleister Crowley was no martial artist, if that's what you mean. He was a loony, among other things. He embraced ancient concepts of mystery religions and cults and used many of their techniques, hiding and transmitting information in various ways. It was intended, although the individual interpretation can't be proven.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Next you guys are going to suggest there isn’t such a thing as bad poetry.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No. Not everything is intentional. Sometimes it’s eisegesis.

But there's no real way to prove which is which. I also notice that when I buy a car, I suddenly see a lot of the exact same model on the road. They were always there, I just wasn't looking for them.

However, ultimately, it's not about anyone but me with regard to the insights I draw from my reading material. I don't proclaim universal truths or beat the drum regarding my findings. A question was asked, I answered. How others choose to see that is up to them. If I am drawing false interpretations from what I read, it either hinders my exploration of my martial arts path, helps it, or does nothing of consequence. In any of the possible solutions, it is *my* path, and no concern of anyone else's.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But there's no real way to prove which is which. I also notice that when I buy a car, I suddenly see a lot of the exact same model on the road. They were always there, I just wasn't looking for them.

However, ultimately, it's not about anyone but me with regard to the insights I draw from my reading material. I don't proclaim universal truths or beat the drum regarding my findings. A question was asked, I answered. How others choose to see that is up to them. If I am drawing false interpretations from what I read, it either hinders my exploration of my martial arts path, helps it, or does nothing of consequence. In any of the possible solutions, it is *my* path, and no concern of anyone else's.
I think you’re reading things into my post that weren’t intended. No need to get defensive. I’m not aware of the person you quoted. I am interested in whether he meant the things you read into his words, or if it’s your own interpretation. If you don’t know, that’s fine. but saying it’s no one else’s concern is a cop out when you post it on an international forum.

And also, in a different vein, gpseymour said some stuff and I answered him.

Latest Discussions