Favorite Korean Foods

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spent a month in Korea as a Marine in the late 80s. I'm sure this isn't "traditional" Korean food, much like most food in a Chinese restaurant isn't really Chinese in origin, but there were sidewalk vendors selling small paper bags of something very similar to fried pork wonton. Any ideas what this was?

Mandu. To be specific Yakimandu. Mandu is just the Korean word for dumplings (like chinese or in america pot stickers), the yaki part is fried. You can have them steamed or fried and with a variety of ingredients. But most of the street vendors....you just say "Yaki!" and you get a big paper cup full of mandu. YUMMY!!!!

If you're particularly daring, you can try the WHOLE fish that are grilled and that you eat whole. Bones and all. Also sold on the street sides.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kimchi chigae, sundobu, pudal chigae, hui do bop, koongnamul, hui-chigae...Crap..now I'm hungry.

You like soup, huh? :)

I'm a big fan of shyabu shyabu.....but then, I never met a Korean food that I didn't like.

I'm going to Korea in October one thing I will be doing, with or without the group, will be visiting some of the street side food vendors for some samkyupsa and soju. ;)

Be VERY careful about Soju tents (if that's what you're talking about....since to the best of my knowledge you have to go into a restaurant to get soju). They are usually not very nice to Americans in there and the authorities try to keep Americans away. At least for the year that I was there with the Military, we were strictly FORBIDDEN anywhere near them. Mostly for our own safety.

As for Samgyapsal (if we're both talking about the thick pork barbeque), I'd probably be careful about picking that up from street vendors too!!! Its usually pretty expensive in the regular restaurants and when you're dealing with meats on the local economy - you're usually best paying for the good stuff.

Now....chicken on a stick and yakimandu from street vendors - you can NEVER go wrong.

And if you get the chance....find some Koreans and ask where you can get some Poshintang. Dog soup....You can't go to Korea and not eat kaegogi. Of course, since the olympics in Seoul, they don't really call it kaegogi in many places.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You like soup, huh? :)

Yep..my wife makes good Korean soup

Be VERY careful about Soju tents (if that's what you're talking about....since to the best of my knowledge you have to go into a restaurant to get soju). They are usually not very nice to Americans in there and the authorities try to keep Americans away. At least for the year that I was there with the Military, we were strictly FORBIDDEN anywhere near them. Mostly for our own safety.

I'm not sure which tents you have been in, but I have never had a problem going to one in all my 8 times of being over there. Never had problems with the authorities either. Perhaps it is the way you present yourself when you go into one or perhaps I have just been extremely lucky. I don't know. But I tell you it is great to be in one especially during fall and winter.

As for Samgyapsal (if we're both talking about the thick pork barbeque), I'd probably be careful about picking that up from street vendors too!!! Its usually pretty expensive in the regular restaurants and when you're dealing with meats on the local economy - you're usually best paying for the good stuff.

It is not that much more than a resturaunt and now they have to have liscences so they are inspected. Again..never had a problem with them and to be honest, I don't mind spending a bit extra for the atmosphere. :)

Now....chicken on a stick and yakimandu from street vendors - you can NEVER go wrong.

And if you get the chance....find some Koreans and ask where you can get some Poshintang. Dog soup....You can't go to Korea and not eat kaegogi. Of course, since the olympics in Seoul, they don't really call it kaegogi in many places.

Ummm...yes you can and no I won't. ha.ha.ha.ha..Had it in PI and never wanted ever again. My wife's parents used to raise the dogs for those shops in Korea. They don't even eat it. If the farmer isn't eating it...neither am I. ha.ha.ha.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mandu. To be specific Yakimandu. Mandu is just the Korean word for dumplings (like chinese or in america pot stickers), the yaki part is fried. You can have them steamed or fried and with a variety of ingredients. But most of the street vendors....you just say "Yaki!" and you get a big paper cup full of mandu. YUMMY!!!!
That's it! Yeah, definitely good stuff...

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Has anyone had any dried ojinga? It is a flatten dried squid that you can run over a heater on the stove really quickly to "cook" it. Then peel it into strips and enjoy with some gochujang and maekju.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure which tents you have been in, but I have never had a problem going to one in all my 8 times of being over there. Never had problems with the authorities either. Perhaps it is the way you present yourself when you go into one or perhaps I have just been extremely lucky. I don't know. But I tell you it is great to be in one especially during fall and winter.

Honestly, I was never in one. I was there for a year with the military and at least for military personnel, Soju tents are off limits. We can be arrested for going in. Now, I guess I should qualify....I am only going off of what we were told as to the reasons that we can't go in. We also weren't allowed in Barber shops, because of the extra services that SOME offer. So I'm sure that its just like anything else that there are good ones and bad ones. At least around Kunsan, I know of some soldiers that had problems in them from the locals, though, that may be because of either their behavior or local perceptions.

It is not that much more than a resturaunt and now they have to have liscences so they are inspected. Again..never had a problem with them and to be honest, I don't mind spending a bit extra for the atmosphere. :)

I've never see it from a street vendor, that's cool!

Ummm...yes you can and no I won't. ha.ha.ha.ha..Had it in PI and never wanted ever again. My wife's parents used to raise the dogs for those shops in Korea. They don't even eat it. If the farmer isn't eating it...neither am I. ha.ha.ha.

I LOVE the stuff. Totally worth it! :)

Has anyone had any dried ojinga? It is a flatten dried squid that you can run over a heater on the stove really quickly to "cook" it. Then peel it into strips and enjoy with some gochujang and maekju.

Yes, definately. It is a shame that you can't buy this stuff in the states. I used to eat that and "chicken balls" at every rest stop. "Chicken balls" are basically chicken croquets with a very sweet BBQ sauce on them. VERY good. And that is chicken balls as in balls of chicken meat....

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Honestly, I was never in one. I was there for a year with the military and at least for military personnel, Soju tents are off limits. We can be arrested for going in.

I can see why they military wasn't allowed. If you don't know how to drink soju...nothing but problems await you. I bought a shirt for a friend of mine the first time over. It had a picture of Bill the Cat from Bloom County comic strip and it read...Soju experience...the party's over. If you know who Bill the Cat is, you'll appreciate the shirt.ha.haha..

At least around Kunsan, I know of some soldiers that had problems in them from the locals, though, that may be because of either their behavior or local perceptions.

Kunsan is close to my wife's hometown of Chunju. Were you USAF?

I've never see it from a street vendor, that's cool!

If you go back..you have to do the tents. :)

Yes, definately. It is a shame that you can't buy this stuff in the states.

If you have a Korean grocery store in your area, you can get them there. I'm not sure if all Asian grocery stores have them, but Korean stores will.

tkd75

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yummy 불고기, 갈비, 닭고기. I tried too many things while there, but those are my favorite. I have a couple of different recipes for bulgogi, which I've made over the past few years. I even have my daughter eating Korean food now. Except for kimchi. She doesn't want to try any of it. I personally like the radish variety of kimchi instead of the cabbage.

Here's a couple of links to online Korean and Asian grocery stores. You can find your dried 이징어there, but I don't know if it's the same as what you mentioned that you can peel, miguksaram, but it is dried squid! :)

http://www.kgrocer.com/fish.aspx
http://www.koamart.com/shop/12-dried_food.asp

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yummy 불고기, 갈비, 닭고기. I tried too many things while there, but those are my favorite. I have a couple of different recipes for bulgogi, which I've made over the past few years. I even have my daughter eating Korean food now. Except for kimchi. She doesn't want to try any of it. I personally like the radish variety of kimchi instead of the cabbage.

Here's a couple of links to online Korean and Asian grocery stores. You can find your dried 이징어there, but I don't know if it's the same as what you mentioned that you can peel, miguksaram, but it is dried squid! :)

http://www.kgrocer.com/fish.aspx
http://www.koamart.com/shop/12-dried_food.asp

You know I hate reading this thread because it's early in the morning, I'm at work and I get hungry after reading it. ha.ha.ha.ha

The second link you provided has examples of the dried squid that I was talking about. Oh and the dried file fish. My wife cooks that up in the toaster oven, but put some butter on it and the sprinkle a bit of sugar and then pop it in for a bit. Take it out cut it up and have some gojujang.

Damn it...now I'm hungry again...I hate you all ha.ha.ha.ha

Dao

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am Korean and I like most of the food, I don't care for fried food that much though. I never had dog meat but I wonder if any of you did when you were in Korea.
I don't drink any alcohol for spiritual reason, I used to a little bit. It is custom to drink with your father in special occasion but you had to turn around and have your back facing them while drinking any liquor. It is a sign of respect. Also far as I know you don't do smoke in front of your elders, especially in front of your parents. I don't know if they still do this anymore.
Kimchi is only taste real good but it helps keeps you immune system strong. As a kid I rarely caught the flu or cold when I ate kimchi regularly. Whenever I stopped eating it I would catch the cold or flu when it was in season. So forget the toxic flu shot and eat kimchi regularly and chances are you won't get a cold or flu.

And last of all here is a site showing you how to make Korean food.
http://www.maangchi.com/recipes

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bulgogi, of course, is excellent. A close second is bibim naeng myun. Deliscious.

The mention of kaekogi reminds me of a story a friend told me. He was doing his doctorate in Chemical Engineering and had a Korean gentleman in class with him. They got to talking and the Korean told him that there were groups of ethnic Chinese youths where he was from who would go out on Friday nights, drink beer and eat dog and cause all sorts of trouble.

My friend, Keith, asked him, "Gee, do you think it's all the beer they drink?"

His reply? "No. It's the dog. They can't handle the dog."

I was like, WHAT? Some things don't translate acropss cultures I guess :lol:

Pax,

Chris

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are certainly some psysiological "affects" that are associated with eating dog. They also think that it improves your sexual stamina.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are certainly some psysiological "affects" that are associated with eating dog. They also think that it improves your sexual stamina.

Yeah, I did a little reading up on it after he told me the story. I just found it amusing that his friend was so adamant that it was the dog they couldn't handle. The large quantities of beer had nothing to do with it :D

Pax,

Chris

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

One thing I learned about Koreans...well Asians in general. If they think it can keep you going sexually, they will eat the butt hole out of a buffalo. ha.ha.ha

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing I learned about Koreans...well Asians in general. If they think it can keep you going sexually, they will eat the butt hole out of a buffalo. ha.ha.ha

Now there's a visual that will stick with me all day! Thanks!:ultracool

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was in Korea one night we had pork which we cooked at the table and was in several large strips that we cut apart into bite sized hunks. It wasn't seasoned with anything really, just basically tasted grilled. Was that Samgyapsal? I really wish I knew the name of it! Thanks!

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
bulgogi is awesome, but my Kwan Jang Nim's wife has a family recipe for kimchi that is unbelievable! Spicy, yumminess in a clay pot! There is a Korean restaurant on my way to my in-laws that has 4 different types of kimchi on the menu! One is a "white Kimchi" that isn't spicy, more sweet and tangy, but it is very unique and quite tasty as well.

Latest Discussions