Favorite Korean Foods

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best thing about Soju in Korea is that it is unregulated. You can get it anywhere from 20 proof to 100 proof. I have HEARD of soju that is higher also. Depends on where you buy it and the label. The big companies are all standard...like JinRo (most popular) I THINK It is around 40 proof.

I have no idea how Sake is done...

Butch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like most Korean food and like MBuzzy said Suju or Soju can range in content of percentage of alcohol. I don't know of any Korean food that uses any alcohol in it's food preparation, but thats not to say there isn't one.

MBuzzy, My son-in-law is going to be in Korea for his second tour in Dec. and I was wondering if you will be there then as has he is also in the Air Force. He will be stationed at Osan AFB. You can PM me with any info.
Butch

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh, the custom on Soju (when you don't want more but don't want to be rude) is to have your hand around the cup but kind of above so it hides the amount in the cup. It's hard to explain but kept me from a second time of holy spins ;p.

I love bulgogi, kalbi, kimchi, Sam Gyup Sal (I had a 7th Senior Master cook that for us one time, he just got up and started cooking them, I felt honored, even if it is regular custom). My local grocery store now carries kimchi (bubbles when you open it, great hehe), bulgogi and kalbi sauces that are actually very good. Makes me happy :).

Then of course there's the countless (wth did I just eat, that was good!) stuff.

I wish there was a bigger Korean population here in Albany, when I visit Lynnwood (WA) or a few other spots up there the selection is amazing. Here, we take what we can get ;p

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I love the Korean restaurants we have around here...

I have this book but haven't actually made anything from it yet... too busy with my Indian cookbook and smoked brisket LOL

Eating Korean
61QMJXR3H7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Chicken Bulgogi is my favorite right now!! Haven't had much of a chance to try anything else around here yet. Oh, and Ramen! It's Ramen noodles, some spices of course, meat, and who knows what else with a slice of cheese on top, REALLY GOOD too.

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
My Soo Bahk Do studio held a Christmas party last weekend and our Sa Bom Nim brought in a ton of Korean food from a resturaunt in her neighborhood.

The Japchae and Bulgogi were fantastic.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My father-in-law took us out for Korean food last night. I just had some left over Bul Goki & Galbi. Great stuff!

When I was in college, my budy & I conviced some gup student friends that they would do better on their belt test with Korean food in their systems. After a night of Kim Chi & Bul Goki, it was a very musical test the next day. Ah, garlic!

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
I love Korean food, one of my favs is Yuk Gae Jang/ very spicey hot beef soup. I know it sounds like a hyung.

Alain

White Belt
Reaction score
A great thing on a hot summer day:

Pat Ping Soo

Places make it differently, but the base is shaved ice and pat (sweet red bean) I like mine with a lot of tok (small rice cake cubes that they use for pat ping soo)

I was there just last month and had a ton of great food. Makes me want to go back over again as soon as possible....

Yours in Training,

Alain

www.burrese.com
www.aikiproductions.com

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A great thing on a hot summer day:

Pat Ping Soo

Places make it differently, but the base is shaved ice and pat (sweet red bean) I like mine with a lot of tok (small rice cake cubes that they use for pat ping soo)

I was there just last month and had a ton of great food. Makes me want to go back over again as soon as possible....

Yours in Training,

Alain

www.burrese.com
www.aikiproductions.com

I agree with you I love to be in the market place trying anything and everything.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kimchi chigae, sundobu, pudal chigae, hui do bop, koongnamul, hui-chigae...Crap..now I'm hungry.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I went to Korea when I was 9 with a group of martial artists. We stayed in Osan, Busan, and Seoul. I enjoyed all of the foods I ate while I was there, but I can't remember the names anymore (that was 15 years ago). I loved in a few restaurants how there were grills in the middle of each table upon which the meats were layed, so that each person could choose how cooked they wanted their meat.

We visited an old-time Korea style village while I was there. In the village, there were a few street peddlars who were selling a Korean candy. It was kind of like a caramel taffy with a sugary flour powder coating. I have no idea what it was called, but it made at least one 9-year-old smile some time ago...

We visited a buddhist temple in the mountains above Seoul. We ate with the chief monk there and I remember that meal being one of the most filling, yet small proportioned, meals I had ever enjoyed. It was a meal of rice with some type of bean and vegetable mixture. There was a spicy sauce over the food, and we were also given a very tasty broth soup.

Other than that, my memory is a little fuzzy on the Korean cuisine. I do so love Kimchi! That is one Korean food I remember and still eat to this day!

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm going to Korea in October one thing I will be doing, with or without the group, will be visiting some of the street side food vendors for some samkyupsa and soju. ;)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spent a month in Korea as a Marine in the late 80s. I'm sure this isn't "traditional" Korean food, much like most food in a Chinese restaurant isn't really Chinese in origin, but there were sidewalk vendors selling small paper bags of something very similar to fried pork wonton. Any ideas what this was?

Latest Discussions