Favorite Korean Foods

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much all the reg's bulgolgi, kalbi, gaejang guk, bibimbop, chap chae, ramyeon, jajangmyeon & all the sides are great!

Now I feel like eating Korean!

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And of course Kimchi! Can't forget Kimchi, have to take a hundred mints when taking the g/f or wife out but its worth it!

Skippy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say Korean Short Ribs but with the different South/East Asian spices on it. Gives it more kick in the flavor!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Old thread I know, but I just found and read it.

I've never see it from a street vendor, that's cool!

Street vendors - Po Jang Ma Ja, sell many things. I haven't been to Korea in about 22 years. My wife tells me it is different. But my experiences with Po Jan Ma Ja were good. I would say it depends on where you are, just as in the States. But normally the people were friendly if they saw you eating their food, and the food was normally safe. One reason, it was cooked and used that day, not kept for days in an icebox.

Oh and the dried file fish. My wife cooks that up in the toaster oven, but put some butter on it and the sprinkle a bit of sugar and then pop it in for a bit. Take it out cut it up and have some gojujang.

Damn it...now I'm hungry again...I hate you all ha.ha.ha.ha

Now that's disgusting! Butter on file fish? Just kidding of course. Everybody gets to eat as they can enjoy. My wife still thinks I am weird for putting salt on my tomatoos. In Korea they are considered a fruit. If they put anything on them, it will be sugar. But

bulgogi is awesome, but my Kwan Jang Nim's wife has a family recipe for kimchi that is unbelievable! Spicy, yumminess in a clay pot! There is a Korean restaurant on my way to my in-laws that has 4 different types of kimchi on the menu! One is a "white Kimchi" that isn't spicy, more sweet and tangy, but it is very unique and quite tasty as well.

I wonder if you are referring to mul kimchi (water kimchi)? It is made from several fresh vegatables, but often the white radish in water and vinegar. It is often sweetened.

As an aside, in the Northern Virginia area, it seems all Korean restaurants put sugar in just about everything. Even Kinchi! :erg: And if it's not sugar, its an over-abundance of MSG. Koreans have always had an affinity for salts, but it seems worse now. That is one of the few things I am at odds with over my wife's cooking.

I noticed only a couple of mentions of Neng Myon. For those of you who haven't tried it, you might want to. It is a cold noodle soup. It should be a little sweet, and eaten with vinegar and Japanese wasabi to taste. Not the yellow mustard sauce the Koreans often try to give you in place of Japanese wasabi. It should be cooled with ice, but again, be careful of those who add a lot of crushed ice. Your taste buds get frozen and you can't enjoy the taste of the food.

EDIT: Another I didn't see. I saw mention of Yaki Mandu, but not Tok Mandu. That is mandu cooked in a soup, with the round rice cake (tok), cut at an angle. Delicious. You can add the Korean red pepper paste (Kotchujang) to taste if you wish.

Last edited:

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wonder if you are referring to mul kimchi (water kimchi)? It is made from several fresh vegatables, but often the white radish in water and vinegar. It is often sweetened.

It isn't labelled as Mul Kimchi, but the description fits. It's a tiny, hole in the wall place, in south western Virginia; in a tiny town on 460 called Pembroke. The restaurant is Kahl Bee.
The "white" kimchi there definitely has a sweetness to it. I, personally prefer the traditional cabbage or radish kimchi, but my wife LOVES the sweet white kimchi.. .

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It isn't labelled as Mul Kimchi, but the description fits. It's a tiny, hole in the wall place, in south western Virginia; in a tiny town on 460 called Pembroke. The restaurant is Kahl Bee.
The "white" kimchi there definitely has a sweetness to it. I, personally prefer the traditional cabbage or radish kimchi, but my wife LOVES the sweet white kimchi.. .

Strickly speaking, kimchi is a process. In Korean, if all you say is Kimchi, most people will think of cabbage kimchi. But you can kimchi a lot of things. Cucumbers are popular in season for instance. So is radish kimchi. My wife has kimchied western cabbage. It wasn't that bad, but not that good either. They also kimchi watermelon rind. That really is good as well.

The mul kimchi is often sort of a palate clearing agent.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Strickly speaking, kimchi is a process. In Korean, if all you say is Kimchi, most people will think of cabbage kimchi. But you can kimchi a lot of things. Cucumbers are popular in season for instance. So is radish kimchi. My wife has kimchied western cabbage. It wasn't that bad, but not that good either. They also kimchi watermelon rind. That really is good as well.

The mul kimchi is often sort of a palate clearing agent.

I didn't know that until a couple of years ago when I started going to that Korean restaurant in VA. She also had some sort of fermented bean that she served too.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hae dup bap! I loves me some hai dup bap.

I do like Korean food overall. Of course it doesn't hurt that I have a friend that works at a nearby Korean restaurant. :D

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't know that until a couple of years ago when I started going to that Korean restaurant in VA. She also had some sort of fermented bean that she served too.

Yeah, the bean paste (forget the name at the moment) is good. I get it often with Cha Jang Myon, to eat with diced raw onion.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hae dup bap! I loves me some hai dup bap.

I do like Korean food overall. Of course it doesn't hurt that I have a friend that works at a nearby Korean restaurant. :D

I don't know that I have ever had that. I will have to ask my wife. I wonder if the Hae is the hwae fish that is often used in one type of neng myon? That is one of the things I don't like; hwae that is, I love regular neng myon with beef and Korean pears.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know that I have ever had that. I will have to ask my wife. I wonder if the Hae is the hwae fish that is often used in one type of neng myon? That is one of the things I don't like; hwae that is, I love regular neng myon with beef and Korean pears.

I'd wager it isn't. Hae dup bap is like a sashimi rice salad, strips of sashimi, veggies, served over rice and mixed together with a tangy red sauce. If you like sushi or sashimi, its quite good :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd wager it isn't. Hae dup bap is like a sashimi rice salad, strips of sashimi, veggies, served over rice and mixed together with a tangy red sauce. If you like sushi or sashimi, its quite good :)

I asked my wife and she said we have eaten it. Who knew?

According to my wife, Hae, or Hwae, just means raw fish. I thought it referred to a specific type of fish that is rather cartiligenous. I don't like eating that or tendon or ligament. Just me. She said the hwae dok pop is like a fish pipimpap. One is never too old to learn I guess. It does sound like it might be good.

Have you or anyone else eaten Sol yong tang? It is a bone soup, with usually thinly sliced beef. You mix your rice in it, and add Kaktogi (radish kimchi). One of the first Korean meals I ate after arriving in Korea.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hai/Hae dul bop. Is a sushi dish per say. It is seafood and rice mixed together. Very good. As for the naemyung dish it was it served in cold liquid? If so it sounds like mulnaemyung. If it was with red sauce the it sounds like bibim naemyung.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Have you or anyone else eaten Sol yong tang? It is a bone soup, with usually thinly sliced beef. You mix your rice in it, and add Kaktogi (radish kimchi). One of the first Korean meals I ate after arriving in Korea.
I just had a fresh batch while I was over in Korea last week. :) Good stuff.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hai/Hae dul bop. Is a sushi dish per say. It is seafood and rice mixed together. Very good. As for the naemyung dish it was it served in cold liquid? If so it sounds like mulnaemyung. If it was with red sauce the it sounds like bibim naemyung.

Yes, there is more than one type of nengmyon. I prefer the mulnengmyon. Pipim nengmyon is OK as long as it isn't hwenengmyon with that cartiliginous fish my wife prefers.
icon7.gif

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I asked my wife about the Haeduppak. She assures me we have eaten it. I sure don't recall that. I guess it would be OK, especially with Kotchujang paste. I prefer raw fish with wasabi, but have eaten and enjoyed it with Kotchujang. The first time was at my wife's uncle's place on an island outside the outlet of the Han Gang. At first I wasn't even sure I wanted raw fish taken in the yellow sea at the outlet of the Han Gang.
icon10.gif
She assured me it was OK as he knew which fishermen to buy from. In fact, it was good, and obviously I survived.

I just had a fresh batch while I was over in Korea last week. :) Good stuff.

Yep, I envy you. My wife fixes it when I ask for it. It seems not to be a favorite food of hers. The first time I was in Korea, we had to go to a location about 3 1/2 hours away. The interpreter wanted to stop at one of his favorite restaurants. I was new so he asked if I minded. He was happy when I said yes, and surprised when I agreed to try the food. Then more suprised when I told him I liked it.

He was a good interpreter and good person, and we got along well. It was funny though, usually when we went to outlying places, if they had a mess hall, he (and the other interpreters) preferred to eat there. I wanted Korean food. We sort of had to trade off on that on our excursions. But he would never pass up a chance to eat, no matter where.
icon10.gif