Favorite Instructor

OP
K

Kenpo viking

dear friends

To find a favorite instructor depends on were you are in your development. You should look for diferent flavors because they all share diferent information and you may not be prepare for the information they are giving at the time.

I have traveled many years and seen the most senior guys on the kenpo field. I have learned from them all even they who I today consider not as good as they could be.

But at that time they were very good because I didn´t had the information they hade.

You also meet people that has a true fighting spirit and you love them for that or a great way on passing the information.

But its all good because you grow not only in the technical way but also as an instructor and as a human being.

continue to look for favorite instructors they are all out there. Some have loads of information but cant teach others have some information and are great teachers. The question is what are you looking for?

In the long run its you who has to stand in the dojo working out and trying to get it right with the right spirit and the right timing.

Respectfully
Ingmar Johansson
Ed Parker´s Kenpo Karate Sweden

:asian: :viking2: :viking3:

OP
R

Ronin

I have had only one kenpo instructor in my life and probably well never train with anyone else outside of the seminar scene. I have had the priviledge to meet many of the top guys featured in the journey book. Everyone has their strengths. The only thing I wish is for the egos to go away among the seniors and a strong structured system is invented and agreed upon. But that may not happen in my lifetime.

OP
K

Kirk

Do you think something like this could happen? What about all
those guys that promoted themselves to 10th? Even if you set
ego aside, if it wasn't a factor .. do you think someone like
Huk and Mr Tatum could agree on how to run things? Their
personal styles seem so drastically different!

OP
R

Ronin

Boy thats one of those questions that never have an anwser. One hopes it will change but the turbulance started days after Parkers death on the way to the cemetary in the herse. Mr parker said it himself. I created a system of logic and all i got was a bunch of whinning babies. I think Mr C may have the correct quote on that one. get with him.

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Having had only seminar experiences with some of the kenpo seniors, for my money, Mr. Conatser is the man. The way he layes things out, and uses wit, humor, and a profound knowledge of this awesome art puts him heads and shoulders above the others I have seen. He seems to understand that everyone was a beginner at one time, unlike some of the others, and has a knack for getting his point across without arrogance or being pretentious. If ever the opportunity presents itself to attend one of his seminars, take advantage of the opportunity.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kalicombat

Having had only seminar experiences with some of the kenpo seniors, for my money, Mr. Conatser is the man. The way he layes things out, and uses wit, humor, and a profound knowledge of this awesome art puts him heads and shoulders above the others I have seen. He seems to understand that everyone was a beginner at one time, unlike some of the others, and has a knack for getting his point across without arrogance or being pretentious. If ever the opportunity presents itself to attend one of his seminars, take advantage of the opportunity.

I will admit that I have never had the pleasure of working with any of the American Kenpo Seniors, face to face, my "forte" is Tracy's ... I imagine that they all have something to offer, both great and small. However, I have many years experience in a lot of different arts and have worked with seniors in many different faces of what we call martial arts.

I will have to say that Dennis Conatser and I have a long term relationship with phone, private chat, e-mails and even Telnet when we can both get it working. For my money, Mr. C., as you call him has a well thought out, well laid out method for imparting what is important. And he does a drop-dead outstanding impression of Mr. Parker. What more does a guy need?:rofl:

Seriously, when and if the opportunity presents itself, the one senior that I would present myself to for American Kenpo instruction is Dennis Conatser. His ability to impart knowledge, concepts, precepts and the like is pretty well done.

Take care,

Dan

OP
T

tunetigress

Wow, GD, hope all that is true, LOL. And , as usual, I gotta throw in my two cents worth, and it ain't worth much , being in Canadian funds and all! My money is going on Dennis Conatser, hands down. His positive, supportive attitude, and visions for the future while respecting the past, are at the heart of what I personally believe being a GREAT Martial Arts Instructor is all about. Ya know, there are a lot of Black Belts out there with endless kewl-looking moves who couldn't instruct their way out of a paper bag. I am beginning to suspect that Mr. Conatser OWNS the bag factory! :karate: :karate:

OP
R

Ronin

Mr Conatsers structure and methods of training are in my opinion one of the best out there. Ive seen products of other legendary instructors teachings and there way of learning things confused me. Not that they are worse or anything its just I perfer Mr C's methods since he is a "my way or the highway" instructor. He has the "if you listen to me you'll be good"attitude. He has a sence of pride in his students that is very very high. He knows his students reflect him so therfore, he is very picky and is balanced as a great motivator. I remember he would say if you practice hard enough i'll introduce you to such in such, (usually my martial arts hero at the time) Like Van Damme or old ninja film star Sho Kosugi. And he always delivered when I did what he wanted as far as performance. hes kind of like playing basketball with Michael Jordan in a way I may have hated some brutal sparring classes where i was beaten each time. however walking away know i had been working out with of of the greatest

OP
R

RCastillo

:rolleyes: Quit giving Mr. Conatser a big head will ya!

let's see, my favorite instructor would be me, of course!:D

OP
R

RCastillo

Unfortuneatly, you're right. There is no one here to vouch for me because no one sticks around long enough, and those that have, have run off. :(

OP
R

RCastillo

Gee, you guys are giving me a complex, first, I'm in trouble at school cuase they say I'm an Intimidator(what El Toro Pu Pu that is)How do they expect me to maintain control over those spoiled brats.

Next, Dan F. asks if I'm cut out for teaching? Of course I am! That's all I've evr known what to do.

Now you call me the next leader of the Reich?!?

As you said before, "Cut me some slack!:soapbox:

(All in jest!)

OP
R

RCastillo

Be cool, Master C, or when camp comes up, I'll get the Masta to take you down!!!:mad:

OP
R

RCastillo

Better yet, I may drop out of the arts, and go back to coaching football!:eek:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dallas is in enough trouble!! You hang in there!!
Or else!
Let's see the Corpus Field Mice..... no..... The Corpus Armadillos..... hey thats it. Well maybe there is a pro team in your future yet!

lol
no slack!:asian:

Latest Discussions