Favorite Instructor

R

Rob_Broad

Who is your favorite Senior Instructor in the kenpo world?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Kenpo? John Karb in Alden NY. He's just fun to work with. Close second is Brian Kuglar (may be spelled wrong). Nice guy, doesn't mind being the designated ohki. :)

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Right now I would have to say my favorite senior Kenpoinstructor is Huk Planas followed immediately or maybe even tied with is Frank Trejo.

OP
S

Sandor

Huk Planas for me.

This is a tough call though. Mr.Trejo, Mr.Kelley, Mr.Kelly, Mr.Wedlake and Zach Whitson are all favorites too. And don't ever forget Dave Hebler... he is another personal favorite. Old Skewl hardcore Kenpo :)

Then again there is Martin Wheeler who has a lot to offer as well. I know there are a few others out there like Superfoot who should be mentioned as well because they have great information to share.

jeeze... this one's a tough question... I know its not PotatoToes ;)

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I know that it was a loaded question but I like to see what answers people come up with.

OP
G

GouRonin

Stop picking on Grandmaster Potato Toes.
:moon:

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone here who is associated with kajukenbo ever heard of my old friend and sifu Tony Lasit?

Anyway, Tony and I were in the Air Force stationed at Bergstrom AFB, Texas (Austin) and Tony had a kenpo class at the time. I was a Judo instructor there and both classes became close friends with each other. I would assist Tony whenever he needed to teach throwing or grappling techniques, etc., and he would assist our Judo class when we needed striking techniques, etc. It was a unique situation and one that I would never see again after the Air Force relocated us all.

Anyway, Tony is now in his 70's and living back in Hawaii from where he was born. He began with Emperiado and Chow before WWII. (Hope the spelling correct.).
:cool:

OP
G

GouRonin

But if I come across anything in my travels I'll let you know.

OP
G

GouRonin

Ya know, the more I think about this it would have been a great idea. Maybe not with the people they had in place but it was a good idea. It would have self-regulated the Kenpo world easily. Each organization could be overseen and having a standard. Sadly, too many egos got in the way.

However the idea is still good. I mean, a lot of instructors have a little flavour to add to a seminar or training. It's a shame that many of them never get together.
:argue:

OP
S

Sandor

If all of those guys were actually capable of getting along without trying to stab each other in the back there never would have been a split (actually fracture is a *Much* better word) in Kenpo to so many different organizations.:asian:

OP
G

GouRonin

These guys who can't get along are the ones supposed to be leading us?

What are we supposed to think?
:confused:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Too much red on the belt tends to make the ego swell at times. It is too bad that a senior council could not get a long, but too many people want to do things the way they were taught and forget about any other ways things were taught to anyone else.

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
Whole bunch! Let's see: Al Tracy, Joe Lewis, Steve LaBounty, Larry Tatum, Bob White, George & Patrice Lim, Ted Sumner and John McSweeney. They all have knowledge to offer to all.

Regards,

Dave Simmons

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I’ve only had two instructors in my life, my tang soo do instructor and my kenpo instructor. I'd have to go with my current kenpo instructor, Mr. Don Smith. But then again I'm pretty biased.

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'll put my two cents in. There are a lot of extremely talented Instructors that have been listed. But of my favorites I include two. The first being the head of our association. Mr. Jim Mitchell who I studied with personally for almost 2 years,(and continue to learn from) and my current instructor Mr. Theron Sturgess.

Michael

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

The AKSC has no ego problems....... that is not what the challenge is.

:asian:

I wasn't aware the AKSC had any problems at all, could someone elaborate?

:asian:

Chuck

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

The AKSC has no ego problems....... that is not what the challenge is.

Please enlighten us.

Latest Discussions