Fatigue

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been sooooooo tired. I'm going to bed at a reasonable time, usually around 10-11pm. But I also ending up falling asleep in front of the TV before I actually drag myself to bed. I find myself nodding off in front of the TV at 8:30!

I usually sleep hard at night, where I used to wake up a few times. I get out of bed at 5:30am for work and I find myself barely able to keep my eyes open at my desk. I take vitamins, and I'm not anemic. I don't have any energy. Could it be the cold weather making me want to "hibernate"? I just want to sleep, sleep, sleep. I have no energy to exercise like I used to, but I try to push myself through at least some push-ups, sit-ups, and leg lifts or squats most days. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to get through those.

Any suggestions on getting my energy back? I feel like I could sleep for the next 20 hours. Maybe that's all I need, a day to sleep.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first question would be have you seen a doctor? Fatigue can be for many reasons besides anemia. If you have changed a prescription lately, that could be the cause. It also could be that you are fighting something off, how long has this been happening? It also could be, Pam, that in light of everything going on in your life you really do need a day to just sleep or at least relax and take it easy. But go to the doctor, make sure that side is all taken care of.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While you think you are sleeping hard you might not be. The different levels of sleep are key and if you dont spend enough time in that state of sleep you wont recharge.

What are you eating habits like? This could play a part in it.

Also I suggest pick up a bottle of melatonin (sp?) Its a non narcotic sleeping aid. It doesnt put you to sleep but it helps keep you asleep.

B

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I haven't changed a prescription, and...I haven't been to the doctor, and I don't want to go. *sigh* As far as eating habits, to honest, mine suck. I'll admit I'm not eating well most of the time, but I do get a decent meal in here and there. Maybe that's it, or stress. Does stress making you sleepy?

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
How much water are you drinking a day?

get in a nice walk every day, even if it is only 1/2 mile - 1 mile.

banana's 3 times a week. do not eat fast food or food that is quick to heat up.

also call your DR. it could be other things inside. How old are you?

good luck,

kosho

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stress can make you more sleepy, in that stress triggers the fight/flight responses and over the long haul burns out your "fuel tank" more quickly.

I know for me and alot of coworkers after the daylight savings time change it seems like it has messed up our internal clocks and we are more rundown and tired.

Also, have you looked into your biorhythm lately? It is a cycle that goes up and down and I noticed alot of times when I'm feeling very worn down for no reason I can figure out (lack of sleep, sick, etc.) and I check the rhythm I am bottomed out. Here is a link to a site that will show it

http://www.facade.com/biorhythm/

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I haven't changed a prescription, and...I haven't been to the doctor, and I don't want to go. *sigh* As far as eating habits, to honest, mine suck. I'll admit I'm not eating well most of the time, but I do get a decent meal in here and there. Maybe that's it, or stress. Does stress making you sleepy?
Ive found that it will do both. Like me right now, with finals and a belt test coming up, I cant seem to shut my brain down to sleep at night, and even when I have enough time to allow myself to fall asleep I still dont want to get up.

Eating would be the first thing I would try. Start of with an apple or a couple slices of white bread before you workout (simple sugars, help to jump start your metabolism)

Over the course of the day make sure you are eating whole grain food along with the protein and fat you need for your health goals. The whole grains are complex sugars and break down slower to help keep the metabolism running.

This is what I do and it helps. If stress is the main factor the only option is to find a way to eliminate it.

hope this helps

B

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Winter time is the time for hibernation and conserving of energy according the Yellow emperor's classic in which I wrote an article here on this site.
Now that we are in day light savings time does our mind already see at 5pm night falling. It could be adjusting to time differences. Maybe you are ill in some degree the body needing more sleep than usual could be a sign of illness. Diet can play a role in effecting are overall health and immune system same as stress. For me it is Winter time I sleep about 12-16hours because that is the nature of things of Winter.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been sooooooo tired. I'm going to bed at a reasonable time, usually around 10-11pm. But I also ending up falling asleep in front of the TV before I actually drag myself to bed. I find myself nodding off in front of the TV at 8:30!

I usually sleep hard at night, where I used to wake up a few times. I get out of bed at 5:30am for work and I find myself barely able to keep my eyes open at my desk. I take vitamins, and I'm not anemic. I don't have any energy. Could it be the cold weather making me want to "hibernate"? I just want to sleep, sleep, sleep. I have no energy to exercise like I used to, but I try to push myself through at least some push-ups, sit-ups, and leg lifts or squats most days. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to get through those.

Any suggestions on getting my energy back? I feel like I could sleep for the next 20 hours. Maybe that's all I need, a day to sleep.

I'm sitting here reading this and thinking, "Wow, this sounds just like me!" The only thing I can suggest is a) talking to a doctor to see if there is anything wrong or b) try to get to bed earlier.

I go to work for 4pm, so I try to grab at least an 1hr to 1 1/2 hr nap beforehand. Helps a little, but if its not a busy night, and I find myself sitting idle for a while, I can just feel the tired feeling coming on.

Even on days off, just like you, 8-8:30, my eyes are closing. Wake up a few hours later saying, "So much for watching any tv tonight!" LOL!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Punisher is right. Stress does lead to the fight or flight responses. It could be that you have been battling some stressors for a long period of time and your body/brain doesn't want to deal with them anymore and therefore just wants you to go to sleep. It also could be that the stress isn't allowing your to get any good REM sleep. If you are taking a sleep aid that also could be messing up your system and not letting you dream. Dreaming is where our brain has a chance to put all of our every day experiences into order. If you are not getting restful sleep and you are stressed, your body might just be shutting down trying to force you into doing what it needs.

Whatever it is, a trip to the doctor is in order, Pam. :)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also I suggest pick up a bottle of melatonin (sp?) Its a non narcotic sleeping aid. It doesnt put you to sleep but it helps keep you asleep.

I bought some at Whole Foods a couple years ago when I was having trouble sleeping. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was the best sleep of my life. Woke up almost bouncing out of bed.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It probably is a combination of things. I am dreaming though. I'm now thinking it might be a mild virus as I'm not feeling so well at work today, along with an office mate. I feel like a kid starting school again. I've been out of the workforce for so long, now I'm closed up in an office again with all these sick people! lol I'm not too worried about it, it's just a PITA. Plus, I'm sure stress has got my resistance down too. Stress, the weather, eating habits, daylight savings time, and winter viruses. I guess I should expect to feel rundown huh?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try a little apple cider vinegar w/ a shot of lemon juice. Tastes like **** but I swear by it.

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I preface this by saying I am not a doc, but a huge percentage of women of all ages have thyroid problems. Hypothyroid is very common. It is determined by a simple blood test (fasting). If you find you are fatigued, can sleep at the drop of a hat, feel the cold weather more, have a slight weight gain - you might have this. Very common, you take the right dose of synthroid every day and you get back to normal fast. Might be?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It probably is a combination of things. I am dreaming though. I'm now thinking it might be a mild virus as I'm not feeling so well at work today, along with an office mate. I feel like a kid starting school again. I've been out of the workforce for so long, now I'm closed up in an office again with all these sick people! lol I'm not too worried about it, it's just a PITA. Plus, I'm sure stress has got my resistance down too. Stress, the weather, eating habits, daylight savings time, and winter viruses. I guess I should expect to feel rundown huh?

You probably should expect to feel run down - nonetheless, I agree with all of those who said go see a doctor. It's annoying - often a PITA - still, better to go and rule out medical problems than to wait until they get bigger, and harder to fix. I went through a period when I was under a great deal of stress, and my doctor ended up prescribing sleeping medication... which really annoyed me, until the first time I took it, and I actually slept for the first time in weeks (possibly months) - I woke up in the morning feeling sooooo much better. Now I have a prescription that I take as needed; sometimes I take it every day for weeks, and sometimes I don't touch it for months, it just depends - but just knowing it's there if I need it is often all I need.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Meh, I'm not going to go to the doc quite yet. I know have alot of **** going on in my life right now, and that along with enviromental factors, are surely contributing to my feeling rundown. I actually had a little more energy today. If it keeps up for a few more weeks I'll call the doc.

As far as the thyroid thing...it's huge possibility in many cases, and a few years ago when I went to the doc for the same thing, he tested my thyroid. I've had my thyroid tested MANY times over the years due to abnormal thyroid function symptoms, and it ALWAYS comes back normal.

I really appreciate all your thoughts on this. :asian:

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jade-

I just read your post. My job requires me to deal with an unusually high incidence of stressors and tension so I pay careful attention to my stress level and how it affects my well-being. I have found that excessive stress forces me into short periods of what you are describing.

Have you examined your personal life? Last year, I got married, sold a house, bought a new house, and moved. So when December came around, my new husband and I were just EXHAUSTED for seemingly no reason. We started looking back on our year, and realized, oh, duh, we've just undergone these massive changes. To your body, stress is stress, even positive changes in your life will produce stress, which will in turn, eventually wear you down.

Eat your B-Vitamins! Lean red meat, broccoli, and spinach are your friends. I have read your profile, and you sound like a woman who is firing on all pistons 24 7. Give yourself permission to take a day and "tuck in", meaning DO NOTHING.

Dagney

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just something i noticed in the original post:

Bed time: 2000 to 2100
Wake Time: 0530

This equates to approximately 6.5 to 7.5 hours sleep.
Normally adults require approximately 8 hours sleep - which means you've been denying your body of upto 1.5 hours for some time.

Perhaps instead of attempting to stay awake you should listen to your body - get that extra bit of sleep that it's asking for and perhaps it'll reward you by allowing you to wake up easier.

The only reason i say this is because i just went though the same thing - was exhausted in the mornings because i started to stay up too late. I've only just been able to get back into a regular routine and i'm feeling much better now.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent observations DT and ON. Thank you. About a month back I had a week where I felt like I had energy again, I felt *normal*. It was great, it didn't last long though. By the following week I was dragging again.

You're both right, I'm burning the candle at both ends. I have been falling asleep earlier these days, but I seem to be one of those people who needs more like 9 or so hours of sleep to feel really rested. Plus I've been under some major stress for quite a while now. I'm hoping with summer around the corner I'll perk up again. :asian:

Latest Discussions