Fast Advancement

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a beginner in MA and I haven't looked into too many different styles. I'm also looking for fast (Very fast) advancement since I need to apply to med school in a year and I wish to obtain an advanced belt (Brown?) in that time to pad my resume. I'm athletic and solid built, and I learn movements (katas or techniques) quickly. Is there a martial art that's suitable for fast advancement?

I realize this question may come off as if I don't really take MA as an art form, but rather as a resume booster. Reality is I do enjoy martial arts, and I know i'll keep taking it for years to come. However, I need to meet my immediate goal as well, or at least give it my best shot. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

First off let me say this with a very sincere face, This will not look good on a resume to med school, you might as well just go to Mc Donalds for a year start out as a cook and move to a swift manager. It will mean the same thing nothing. MA is not going to make or break your entry to Med school. Take that time and voleenteer at a hospital or a homeless shelter, it would so much better.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can get a brown belt on the Internet for anywhere from $2.95 to custom embroidered belts that can be more than $100 ... good luck!

I was just thinking the same thing. But honestly You got to train train and train some more good luck.....

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
who, exactly, are you trying to impress with said resume? And why do you think having "brown belt" on your resume would impress your targeted audience?

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you PM me, I can send you a copy of my curriculum and you can work on it at home, at your own pace. Even though I require students to progress through all levels (9 kyu levels - brown starts at 3rd kyu, though), with a $150 RA (rapid advancement) fee per each beginner level (mukyu, 9th kyu, 8th kyu and 7th kyu), $250 RA fee per each intermediate level (6th kyu, 5th kyu and 4th kyu) plus distance testing fees ($50 per test for each of the seven levels from 9th kyu to 3rd kyu) I think that we may be able to provide you with that resume padding if that is truly your wish.

When you are comfortable, video yourself performing the 3rd kyu material (some is with a partner, it should be clear to someone going to med school which ones) and send the test to me. I will then forward you your belt and certificate after I see that you have passed the material with at least an 80%.

For ease of payment, I prefer to use Paypal with fees paid upfront.

Let me know, Doc...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
And why do you think having "brown belt" on your resume would impress your targeted audience?

In his (limited) defense, med school admission committees have gotten ridiculous about this sort of stuff in the past 10-15 years. A stellar MCAT score will still do you more good than anything else, but BS activities and hobbies still have their effect. Besides raw intellectual horsepower, the schools are now looking for "well rounded" individuals with "life experience". What does being on the debate club have to do with being a good doctor? Exactly nothing, and it leads to the kind of nonsense gaming of the system we are seeing here.

What is happening now is that most fresh-out-of-college applicants are being turned down, no matter how good their qualifications. After a few years and a few BS lines on their resume, their chances of getting in increase. I've personally seen dozens of students come through our labs and play scientist for a year to beef up their med school applications.

Of course, since I am involved in teaching these fine individuals once they get in, I won't frighten you with stories of the intellectual acumen of our future health care professionals.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hear Mr. Miagi is training . . . do some chores for him for a couple of months, and he may give you a black belt in time for the All-valley tournament!

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or you can post over 400 times on Martial Talk, then you can be a brown belt just like me!

(BTW, my system doesn't even have brown belts -- we use red instead. Something to make sure of if you sign up. But I think "red belt" sound cooler on a resume than "brown belt" anyway, but that's just me.)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hear Mr. Miagi is training . . . do some chores for him for a couple of months, and he may give you a black belt in time for the All-valley tournament!
"On Okinawa, belt mean, no need rope to hold up pants."
And as an added bonus, he'll beat up those Cobra Kai bullies for you.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd suggest finding a more competent med school advisor.

:BSmeter::troll:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a beginner in MA and I haven't looked into too many different styles. I'm also looking for fast (Very fast) advancement since I need to apply to med school in a year and I wish to obtain an advanced belt (Brown?) in that time to pad my resume. I'm athletic and solid built, and I learn movements (katas or techniques) quickly. Is there a martial art that's suitable for fast advancement?

I realize this question may come off as if I don't really take MA as an art form, but rather as a resume booster. Reality is I do enjoy martial arts, and I know i'll keep taking it for years to come. However, I need to meet my immediate goal as well, or at least give it my best shot. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

In his (limited) defense, med school admission committees have gotten ridiculous about this sort of stuff in the past 10-15 years. A stellar MCAT score will still do you more good than anything else, but BS activities and hobbies still have their effect. Besides raw intellectual horsepower, the schools are now looking for "well rounded" individuals with "life experience". What does being on the debate club have to do with being a good doctor? Exactly nothing, and it leads to the kind of nonsense gaming of the system we are seeing here.

What is happening now is that most fresh-out-of-college applicants are being turned down, no matter how good their qualifications. After a few years and a few BS lines on their resume, their chances of getting in increase. I've personally seen dozens of students come through our labs and play scientist for a year to beef up their med school applications.

Of course, since I am involved in teaching these fine individuals once they get in, I won't frighten you with stories of the intellectual acumen of our future health care professionals.

Well... the second post here sort of seems to answer the first question I had. But I'll throw it at the OP anyway.

How do you think that dabbling for a year, even if you did reach relatively high rank, will be impressive on your applications? It still only shows one year of work at something. (Last time I looked, med school was several three or four years, followed by a minimum of 3 or 4 years of internship.) While it does show some work and dedication, and maybe (depending greatly on the school) some mental and physical toughness and drive... it's a long way from proving your capability at learning. Especially something that balances the demands of recall, recognition, application, and adaptation that medicine does.

If you think having martial arts training for a year will look good -- drop the concern on having a particular belt ranking in a given time. Focus on finding a school that will teach you as much as you can learn in that time, instead. And, if you really mean to stick with it, one that will hold your interest over the years.

If you're just looking to show that you can learn something in a year... why not try a foreign language (probably more useful, anyway) or a musical instrument?

Anymore, there are so many black belt mills out there now that you probably can find one that will get you a brown belt in a year. But it'll be worth exactly what you pay and put into it -- and it won't be the same as one that takes several years to obtain. And... they've cheapened what a black belt means. Once, even a first degree black belt was seen as a major accomplishment. Today... there are 5 and 6 year old "black belts."

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know a little about this first hand:

FYI I know of at least one person who when interviewing for residency positions after medical school had three things circled on their resume by the interviewee. One was unbelievable MCAT scores and unbelievable overall grades in Mecial School and the other was that they participated in martial arts.
icon6.gif
Of course this said person was a real martial artist and not trying to pad their resume and they had not only the ability to demonstrate that but also the ability to talk about what they knew!
icon14.gif

I also know of one person with similar results when applying to medical school!

However, in the end it does come down to your grades and MCAT scores. I would advise putting the block of your time into having unbelievable MCAT scores. Who knows maybe you will get a free full scholarship if your MCAT scores are unbelieveable. (I know of at least one person who received this
icon7.gif
)

OP
T

Thelardking

White Belt
Reaction score
I knew this would be a VERY controversial topic, and I'm glad so many people cared enough to reply. Thanx to all who replied. For those who cared enough to suggest an art, ur recommendations are much appreciated. For those who lectured about ethics, i accept your views fully. I realize MA takes work and persistence. Your point about the ranking as a show of dedication and persistence, yet not taking the time and preparation to learn it properly is actually the antithesis of those qualities, is also a very valid point, and it would be very ethically questionable for me to state that on my resume. I cannot agree more.

I believe advancement should be a reflection of my dedication and talent, and my mastery of the art, but not a function of the length of time in the art. If I don't work very hard, taking 2 group classes a week, and spend no time to practice at home, it may take me 10 or 20 years to get a black belt. But if i work 10 times as hard, the question would be, shouldn't it be fair if i can get there 10 times faster?

My hope is that someone can point me to a some options such that I can achieve this impossible goal, or at least get as close to it as i can.

OP
T

Thelardking

White Belt
Reaction score
the other comment that I think i should clear up, is that I have a good mcat score and GPA, not superbly high, but well above average. So it comes down to my CV that'll determine WHICH med school i get into. And of course, like any logical person, I would prefer it to be as strong as possible. Given MA is something that I enjoy doing, so naturally I wish to excel in it and be recognized for doing that. Again, I'm not looking for a shortcut (which after I read my initial comment, really sounds like the implied question). No shortcut, but there must be a MA that's both respectable and easy enough to learn such that given enough dedication, i can achieve something above a purple in a year's time.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I knew this would be a VERY controversial topic, and I'm glad so many people cared enough to reply. Thanx to all who replied. For those who cared enough to suggest an art, ur recommendations are much appreciated. For those who lectured about ethics, i accept your views fully. I realize MA takes work and persistence. Your point about the ranking as a show of dedication and persistence, yet not taking the time and preparation to learn it properly is actually the antithesis of those qualities, is also a very valid point, and it would be very ethically questionable for me to state that on my resume. I cannot agree more.

I believe advancement should be a reflection of my dedication and talent, and my mastery of the art, but not a function of the length of time in the art. If I don't work very hard, taking 2 group classes a week, and spend no time to practice at home, it may take me 10 or 20 years to get a black belt. But if i work 10 times as hard, the question would be, shouldn't it be fair if i can get there 10 times faster?

My hope is that someone can point me to a some options such that I can achieve this impossible goal, or at least get as close to it as i can.

Well, as I always say, its not the color or the stripes on your belt that matters, its how well you know the material and how well you can make it work. If you need to use your skills, the belt isn't going to do the fighting for you. Who cares how long it takes to get a black belt. Focus on getting solid material..worry about rank later. When it comes, it comes.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure you truly understand the way ranking happens. There is time in grade requirements now under black they are a little more relaxed but doing about 3 - 4 years of work in a year is not that logical. I don't care how athletic you are some style may seem simple at the beginning but become quite difficult with out taking the time to learn the basics very well and precise basics don't come together over night no matter how athletic you are. I think you should get in a school you like and learn as much as you can and whatever rank you are in a year than thats what you put into your resume along with the time you spent to EARN that rank.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was always amazed when I'd teach someone a new technique. They'd do it and always look for something else. I'd tell them to keep working on it, and you could see the frustration in their eyes. After a while of having them work the tech., I'd ask to see it and sure enough, they did it no problem. Then I'd have them partner up with someone else, or myself and have them do it. Thats when you could see the flaws in the moves.

So, the moral of the story is...they worked hard and thought they knew everything cold, but in reality they didn't. ;) Just because someone shows up 3 times a week, isnt a guarentee that they're going to advance quick.

Latest Discussions