FASD Street Fighting Strategy

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is a direct excerpt from the book 'How To Street Fight'. First Action Self Defense Manual One.

-----

The key to fighting, like most things in life, is simplicity. You want to win the fight in the simplest possible way. Even strategy is not complicated. In a fight you do not want, or need to think hard about strategy. If you have been training for realism then it will be second nature, that is, you want your strategies to be instinctive so you don't lose time with thought.

1.301 Adopt The Correct Mindset

Know in yourself that you are going to win. Having the correct winners mindset is often enough on its own to win a fight, however, you need to keep it balanced. Never under or overestimate your opponent or yourself. Fight as best you can every time.

Treat every fight as if you're fighting for your life. Never give up and expect to be hit. It is the mindset of a warrior, or soldier at war. You can cultivate this mindset in training firstly by channelling your anger when Sparring. If you find it hard to channel your anger, or you're generally not an angry person, try repeating the mantra 'KILL KILL KILL' in your head as you attack. Some people don’t like doing this because they feel it will change them internally and they do not wish to have a killer mindset. This is not true. In fact, I have found that by releasing your anger in this way, you are more calm in your normal course of life. It is in fact a healthy release of emotion.

In the midst of all this, you must also keep calm. Your personal calmness can infect those around you which may be enough to make your attacker(s) leave you alone. More importantly, being calm makes you less likely to make poor decisions and enhances your awareness. Calmness and awareness can be instilled through meditation. Meditation is covered in the FASD Survival Fitness Manual.

1.302 Your Ultimate Aim In A Street Fight

To incapacitate your opponent in the fastest possible way, while incurring the least possible damage to yourself.

Note: Incurring the least damage to yourself is not limited to personal physical well-being. It also covers your emotional damage, damage to loved ones, property etc. and entails any legal ramifications that may follow. The amount of damage you inflict on your opponent should be 'capped' at what is needed to stop him/her/them from being a threat.

To incapacitate your opponent basically means to leave him on the ground for long enough for you to escape. This is achieved by using one or more of four basic strategies. They are presented in order of preference, which means that you should always think to apply strategy one first. If that is not possible, then move onto strategy two and so on. Moving through these strategies can happen extremly fast, and resorting back to any of them when the opporunity presents itself is what will give you the best chance of victory.

Basic Strategy One: Disable with a weapon

Basic Strategy Two: Disable from behind

Basic Strategy Three: Disable from the front

Basic Strategy Four: Disable on the ground

Whilst adapting these strategies you use what is known in FASD (First Action Self Defense) as Position and Disable. Position refers to adopting and keeping advantages positions in order to Disable. Once in Position, Disable techniques are used to incapacitate your enemy. Disable techniques are grouped into the following categories:

Choke. Choke your opponent until he's unconscious

KO (Knock Out). Strike your opponent to the point where he can't get up

Break. Incapacitate your opponent by breaking one or more of his bones

Eyes. Take out your opponents' vision either directly or indirectly

Ground And Finish. Put him to the ground and then incapacitate him there. The best way to finish is to KO him by stomping since you wont have to crouch over him, unless you take him down using a lock in which case you may as well take him out with a break. There are others ways also. To prevent being Taken Down, if he is on the ground and you want to attack, its best to come in from the side.

There any many different ways to Position, the preference of which is different depending on which strategy you are using. Likewise, the preference of which Disable you use is dependant on the Position you are using.

1.303 Go Hard And Don't Let Up

When you strike, hit hard, every time, and never let up or give him time to recover. Always be on the attack, and attack hard. Go 100% from your first strike until he is disabled. The fight should be finished in under 10 seconds, preferably in 3. Any more than this and your either on the floor grappling or you must use longer fighting strategies.

There is no room for compassion until after he has been disabled. It is true that if you give him 'time to breathe' and room to escape he may do so, but if he chooses not to then you have just allowed him time to recover. Also, it gives him the chance to escalate the situation eg pulling out a weapon, getting friends etc. People, like animals, are most dangerous when they feel cornered, so do not give him the chance to get more dangerous than you. Compassion is a wonderful thing in life, but there is no room for it in a life threatening situation. The risk is not worth it. Once you have disabled him you can show your compassion by calling him an ambulance or rendering him first aid.

Note: This does not mean that you are attacking your opponent until his life is threatened. In reality, you should not need to render him first aid or call him an ambulance. The word disabled in this context is to the point where he can not harm you. It is not to mean that you are actually beating him until he is disabled. He only need be disabled for a length of time for you to be able to get away safely. However, different situations will require different outcomes so it is up to you to make the decision of 'how far you go'.

1.304 The Element Of Surprise

Whenever possible, use the element of surprise. This is more commonly done at the very start of a fight, but can also be utilised during a fight. The most obvious form of this is to attack when he is not ready. This may mean attacking from behind or distracting your opponent the moment before you attack. The distraction can be caused by you e.g. screaming, spitting in his face, throwing something at him etc. or by taking advantage of situational distractions i.e. as soon as he shifts his attention to something other than you, even for a split second, attack. Taking opportunity to make the first effective attack will increase your chance of winning at multitude.

Methods of surprise while fighting are more indirect and can include things like getting behind him (be sure to protect your own back at all times) or altering his vision. You could drop under his line of sight, attack his blind spots, manoeuvre so objects and/or the sun blocks his sight, strike his nose (which will make his eyes water), throw something in his eyes eg sand (if throwing sand or similar, be aware of wind direction, you don't want it to blow back into you), knocking his glassed off, physically forcing his head down so he cant see, using his arm to block his view (trapping) etc. In contrast, you must discipline yourself not to get distracted. Never look away from him and always be mindful and alert.

All strategies, positions, disablers etc. are intertwined. You will use any number of them in an infinite number of combinations in order to achieve your ultimate aim during any single fight.

Training in how to do this is what the rest of this manual is focused on.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Based on just this exerpt, I see a few things I disagree with. They may be more thouroughly discussed later in your manual though and bring up the issues I am thinking of.

OP
First Action

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Based on just this exerpt, I see a few things I disagree with. They may be more thouroughly discussed later in your manual though and bring up the issues I am thinking of.

I imagine everyone will disagree with something. I encourage discussion. It is why I posted it.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah... look, to be honest, I'd argue with pretty much everything. You mis-use the term "strategy" when you mean "tactic", the "mindset" you're talking about is suited to sports, not self defence/street fighting, your "ultimate aim" is very bad advice, your "basic strategies" are again, poorly suited to a realistic look at self defence (but aren't too bad if you're teaching people to be aggressors/street thugs), your methods of finishing the opponent are limiting to the point of negating the types of tactics that should be far higher on the hierarchy, your idea of "go hard" can be seen as overly violent and illegal in many places, leaving the poor student who follows such advice ending up in jail, and again, your comments in "element of surprise" show that you're not really considering realistic self defence, but more teaching to be a street predator/thug. Not advised.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
(but aren't too bad if you're teaching people to be aggressors/street thugs)

That being said, ive seen folks (Ok, two in total in the course of my entire life, but thats out of a pool of about four instances. 50%. While it would be useful to be able to draw from a bigger pool of firsthand reference, id prefer not having a bigger pool of firsthand reference.) with more reliable tactics/strategies/whathaveyou.

your comments in "element of surprise" show that you're not really considering realistic self defence, but more teaching to be a street predator/thug. Not advised.

And a street predator will at least be using reliable tactics. I wouldnt call this a good guide to being a street predator. :)

To the OP: I have a long version of this reply, and if you want to read it, ill post it. In the interests of being polite, im not initially posting an entire post declining almost everything you just posted.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see most of that as invalid and dangerous. who wrote that thing?? Just for starters and I will leave this one for now ... Street fight, as in Self Defense, YOUR Primary Goal is SURVIVAL! so staying to "finish it" or worrying about a KO or something is sport! Survival is being alive and unhurt! Consider what in there is conducive to the Survival and unhurt part and getting clear and safe?

OP
First Action

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll attempt to respond to the points without spending hours on it.

Chris:
your methods of finishing the opponent are limiting to the point of negating the types of tactics that should be far higher on the hierarchy

I'd like to hear more about the tactics that should be higher on the hierachy

your idea of "go hard" can be seen as overly violent and illegal in many places, leaving the poor student who follows such advice ending up in jail, and again, your comments in "element of surprise" show that you're not really considering realistic self defence, but more teaching to be a street predator/thug

My theory is that if every other option of escape has failed eg you can run, talk etc your way out of it, and you are fearing for your life.. then you need to do whatever it takes to win.

I stand by my ultimate aim and mindset.

Cyracus:
To the OP: I have a long version of this reply, and if you want to read it, ill post it. In the interests of being polite, im not initially posting an entire post declining almost everything you just posted.

I too am not interested in replying to essays. But if you one to discuss subjects one by one then Im more than happy.

Chinto:
I agree with most of what you say. Please remember I have titled the post street fighting strategy ie once you are already fighting. This chapter does not intend to cover the aspect of intial ways to get away safely without fighting (which is covered in a previous chapter).

This post DOES NOT encompass the 'mindset' of FASD, only the mindset of when you are 'forced' to fight.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cyracus:

I too am not interested in replying to essays. But if you one to discuss subjects one by one then Im more than happy.

Its not really an essay - However, it covers every single paragraph seperately. On those grounds, im sure you can live without my criticism. :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll attempt to respond to the points without spending hours on it.

Hmm. Let's see how we go, then.

Chris:

The first thing to do is to look at exactly what your listed tactics are. They are, in your order:
- Choke
- Knock out
- Break
- Eyes
- Ground and Pound.

With the exception of the attacks to the eyes (which is largely unrealistic, for the record), what you have there are MMA (sporting) tactics. And each of them are great when you're in a ring/cage, there's only one opponent, no weapons, and a ref watching what's happening. But once you get to the more unpredictable street, each are far from recommended. A choke can take 10 to 15 seconds to have a major effect, during which time weapons (such as knives) can do a lot of damage, or friends of your opponent can easily take advantage of the way you're tangled up. The same goes for the Ground and Pound approach at the end. When you talk about "KO'ing" someone, your exact words are "Strike your opponent to the point where he can't get up". Again, that can take quite a fair bit of time and effort, and being focused on such outcomes can blind you to opportunities to escape, or better, faster ways to finish things. Breaks are really just submissions that are taken to an extreme, and require a much more solid grip than you might realize... which again means that you'd be tangled up, leaving you open to weapons and other attackers.

In other words, the entire list is bad (for the context of self defence).

When it comes to better tactics, they should all be centered around the idea of breaking away from the attack and escaping. Pure and simple. Distracting strikes, pre-emptive and retaliatory (depending on the situation) would be preferred... assuming we've gone past the possibility of de-escalation (more passive and aggressive versions).

My theory is that if every other option of escape has failed eg you can run, talk etc your way out of it, and you are fearing for your life.. then you need to do whatever it takes to win.

The problem is that it's just not that cut and dried... there are a huge degree of variances that can be encountered, both situational and legal, and your approach fails to recognize that. There is no "one size fits all" approach the way it's presented here.

Cyracus:

Ha, you're not interested in replying to essays, but invited me to answer.... you haven't seen much of my posts, have you? Mind you, I've been quite gentle this time round.... so far....

Chinto:
I agree with most of what you say. Please remember I have titled the post street fighting strategy ie once you are already fighting. This chapter does not intend to cover the aspect of intial ways to get away safely without fighting (which is covered in a previous chapter).

This post DOES NOT encompass the 'mindset' of FASD, only the mindset of when you are 'forced' to fight.

You missed his point. Chinto was addressing the "fight" part as well... and was saying that the tactics you were suggesting were badly thought out and poorly chosen. In fact, even your signature has things in the wrong order. And, speaking of your signature, I followed the link through to your website, to get a more well-rounded look at where you were coming from... and, I have to say, there was nothing impressive at all. There is no indication of any background of any instructors, just a passing reference to FASD being founded in 2009 (but starting formulation in 2002), but nothing about where it came from, what the training of the founding members was in, or anything to show any credibility for the information being touted. Looking through the various videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/FirstActioncomau/videos), they all struck me as amateurish, nervous, and deeply flawed. There is no reality to the attacks, many of the defensive actions are dangerous (at best!), the weapon defence was terrible, the "use of pen" was borderline illegal in places, and honestly, showed a desperate lack of understanding of violence, weaponry, anatomy, targeting, and many other things.

If I was to offer any advice, it would be to rethink whether or not you're really in a position to be giving self defence advice... being able to self-publish a book and make you-tube videos just isn't good enough, nor are they the relevant credentials. And the relevant credentials seem to be completely lacking. Okay, that was less gentle in the end...

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score

Chris:

Cyracus:

Chinto:

Ok it makes more sense once you have been forced to engage, but again getting clear is a major goal. Brake contact and get clear. For one thing they never seem to come at you one at a time, and 2, a weapon may very well be present... a blade or a gun of one kind or other. So getting clear is a great Idea if you can. if multiples I do agree with grab one and do a number fast and final on him/her! do it as fast and efficiently as you can! that might buy you that brake to get clear, and if not well one out of combat.

Depending on where you are , some states have "Duty to Retreat laws" that may make you criminally liable if you did not Retreat as long as you physically could. I understand in some states I understand that it was ruled to include crawling out on a ledge of a building on upper floors to not engage a burglar~! ( that is insane to my way of thinking.. and one more case of safer working conditions for criminals laws ) .. So I would say check with an attorney about your aria and its laws.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can cultivate this mindset in training firstly by channelling your anger when Sparring. If you find it hard to channel your anger, or you're generally not an angry person, try repeating the mantra 'KILL KILL KILL' in your head as you attack.

... really? :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha, you're not interested in replying to essays, but invited me to answer.... you haven't seen much of my posts, have you? Mind you, I've been quite gentle this time round.... so far....

You have motivated me to not care about the target audience, good sir.

Now,i dont have enough hours in the day to read an entire book, but i dohave enough to read this. (Its busy! Im in the middle of a flood, imboarding people, and im sleep deprived as it is :p )

This is a direct excerpt from the book 'How To StreetFight'. First Action Self Defense Manual One.
-----

Thekey to fighting, like most things in life, is simplicity. You want towin the fight in the simplest possible way. Even strategy is notcomplicated. In a fight you do not want, or need to think hard aboutstrategy. If you have been training for realism then it will besecond nature, that is, you want your strategies to be instinctive soyou don't lose time with thought.

Simplecomes with alot of caveats and definitions. Simple for one personcould be complicated for another. The ability to formulate your owntactics/strategies is important, however there is no codified waythat can be done. Also, im making a mental note to not offeralternatives to whats listed here. Im not your personal trainer noranyone elses :)

1.301Adopt The Correct Mindset

Knowin yourself that you are going to win. Having the correct winnersmindset is often enough on its own to win a fight, however, you needto keep it balanced. Never under or overestimate your opponent oryourself. Fight as best you can every time.

Ifyou know you are going to win, youre already overestimating yourself.But since this is just a fight, and not an assault, believing inyourself is fine, i guess.

Treatevery fight as if you're fighting for your life. Never give up andexpect to be hit. It is the mindset of a warrior, or soldier at war.You can cultivate this mindset in training firstly by channellingyour anger when Sparring. If you find it hard to channel your anger,or you're generally not an angry person, try repeating the mantra'KILL KILL KILL' in your head as you attack. Some people don’t likedoing this because they feel it will change them internally and theydo not wish to have a killer mindset. This is not true. In fact, Ihave found that by releasing your anger in this way, you are morecalm in your normal course of life. It is in fact a healthy releaseof emotion.

Mostfights possess a low risk to your life. Fights dont often take placewhen one person is trying to kill the other. Death is most oftenaccidental (or unintentional). If you never give up, you can feedsomeones fire. Say youre laying on the ground with a concussion, andyou kick the guy in the leg while hes posturing and declaring himselfvictorious. Now your dinky fight can escalate to someone giving youbrain damage because you didnt give up 20 seconds ago when he wassatisfied. Expect to be hit is a given. The mindset of a warrior orsoldier in a warzone is to survive and to follow orders - In war, youarent dealing with fights. You can repeat a mantra in training, itwont do much to your emotional state. If you genuinely adopted thatemotional state, youd go kick a wall, leave the gym, arm yourself,wait outside, and murder your sparring partner in front of everyonewhen he leaves to go home and embrace the consequences of youractions. Theres your warrior mindset. At best youre making yourselffeel like youve cheated your way to winning in a sparring bout bythinking one word. Neuro Linguistics dont quite work thatway.

Inthe midst of all this, you must also keep calm. Your personalcalmness can infect those around you which may be enough to make yourattacker(s) leave you alone. More importantly, being calm makes youless likely to make poor decisions and enhances your awareness.Calmness and awareness can be instilled through meditation.Meditation is covered in the FASD Survival FitnessManual.

Calmnessis a point of view. I cant argue with a point ofview :)

1.302Your Ultimate Aim In A Street Fight

Toincapacitate your opponent in the fastest possible way, whileincurring the least possible damage to yourself.

Again,wont argue with opinions. But the other guy feelssimilarly.

Note:Incurring the least damage to yourself is not limited to personalphysical well-being. It also covers your emotional damage, damage toloved ones, property etc. and entails any legal ramifications thatmay follow. The amount of damage you inflict on your opponent shouldbe 'capped' at what is needed to stop him/her/them from being athreat.

Well,since this is just a mundane fight, the chances of there being damageto your emotions, loved ones, property, or legal ramifications arelimited. Unless it gets off the handle at some stage. By the soundsof it, this manual would get you escalating the situation by tryingthings like spitting at people or screaming at them.

Toincapacitate your opponent basically means to leave him on the groundfor long enough for you to escape. This is achieved by using one ormore of four basic strategies. They are presented in order ofpreference, which means that you should always think to applystrategy one first. If that is not possible, then move onto strategytwo and so on. Moving through these strategies can happen extremlyfast, and resorting back to any of them when the opporunity presentsitself is what will give you the best chance ofvictory.

Again,i cant and wont argue with points of view. Nothing wrong with thispart.

BasicStrategy One: Disable with a weapon

BasicStrategy Two: Disable from behind

BasicStrategy Three: Disable from the front

BasicStrategy Four: Disable on the ground

Strategy1 is inherently violent. Itd depend on the situation, of course,however if you get into an unarmed fight, and you are reliant on aweapon to not just freeze up, you should probably let them hit you,take a fall, and live with the ego drop. This is where the word'fight' may have a different meaning than you think it does.Dangerous violent actions dont often come in the form of fights. Ifyou have some vague amount of confidence in your unarmed training,think of it like a game. Thats all it is, most of the time. In thefights that are life threatening, its gonna be multiple people andescape is your best defense. If escape is impossible youre in for afight where no training will give you much of an advantage.
Strategy2 doesnt really make much sense. Youre defending yourself from behindsomeone? If youre behind someone, youre already in a position toleave.
Strategy3 is kinda the definition of fighting.
Strategy4 is also kinda the definition of fighting.
Also,youve pretty much just described your average UFC Bout, if youdisambiguate disabling from behind as being a submission locked infrom behind.

Whilstadapting these strategies you use what is known in FASD (First ActionSelf Defense) as Position and Disable. Position refers to adoptingand keeping advantages positions in order to Disable. Once inPosition, Disable techniques are used to incapacitate your enemy.Disable techniques are grouped into the followingcategories:

Sure.Again, wont argue with viewpoints.

Choke.Choke your opponent until he's unconscious

KO(Knock Out). Strike your opponent to the point where he can't getup

Break.Incapacitate your opponent by breaking one or more of hisbones

Eyes.Take out your opponents' vision either directly orindirectly

Chokingcan be hard to do without the element of surprise or without firsthaving an extensive engagement.
Knockingpeople out can be very difficult if theyre among the many people whocouldnt care less about getting hit. Theres alot of people like that,and alot of the time, theyll be glad for a chance to fight someonewho can hit hard for a change.
Peoplecan keep fighting with broken bones of all sorts, and often breakingbones leaves you vulnerable to be hit.
Targettingthe eyes isnt very reliable. As much as impeded vision gives you anadvantage, it could also make someone go from wanting to fight you towanting to murder you for damaging their eyesight.

GroundAnd Finish. Put him to the ground and then incapacitate him there.The best way to finish is to KO him by stomping since you wont haveto crouch over him, unless you take him down using a lock in whichcase you may as well take him out with a break. There are others waysalso. To prevent being Taken Down, if he is on the ground and youwant to attack, its best to come in from theside.

Stompingis a great way to accidentally kill someone, as mentioned before.That wont knock them out, itll bash their head into the concrete.Also, youre wearing shoes under most normal circumstances. But then,if you have someone down and unable to defend themself, youve alreadywon, from a self defense angle. From a more thuggish angle, a simplestomp works, but there are a fair few 'better' ways to top itoff.

Thereany many different ways to Position, the preference of which isdifferent depending on which strategy you are using. Likewise, thepreference of which Disable you use is dependant on the Position youare using.

Imwilling to bet youve overcomplicated alot of angles and positions inrelation to the other person :)
Forwhat its worth, ive done that. I experimentally codify systems forfun some days when i have nothing else to do. Ive beenthere.

1.303Go Hard And Don't Let Up

Whenyou strike, hit hard, every time, and never let up or give him timeto recover. Always be on the attack, and attack hard. Go 100% fromyour first strike until he is disabled. The fight should be finishedin under 10 seconds, preferably in 3. Any more than this and youreither on the floor grappling or you must use longer fightingstrategies.

Thefight can also be finished in 10 or 3 seconds if he just does thesame to you. Youve pretty much just declared that your strategy iswhat people do when they have no idea what theyre doing. Chargeheadlong into danger with full out aggression hitting nonstop as hardas they can, tangling together, ending up in either a standing orgrounded grappling match, then finishing quickly. Takes about 3-30seconds. Incidentally, its not a bad strategy. But theres a lot moreto methodology than just saying go in there 100%. If it were thatsimple, you could have just pasted that on your inside cover and soldit for a dollar.

Thereis no room for compassion until after he has been disabled. It istrue that if you give him 'time to breathe' and room to escape he maydo so, but if he chooses not to then you have just allowed him timeto recover. Also, it gives him the chance to escalate the situationeg pulling out a weapon, getting friends etc. People, like animals,are most dangerous when they feel cornered, so do not give him thechance to get more dangerous than you. Compassion is a wonderfulthing in life, but there is no room for it in a life threateningsituation. The risk is not worth it. Once you have disabled him youcan show your compassion by calling him an ambulance or rendering himfirst aid.
Chancesare, you wont be thinking about any of that, even in a mundane fight.Even if you were, since its just a fight, provided you havent triedto use a weapon, or attacked his eyes, or tried to stomp on him, hemay well just concur defeat. *shrugs*

Note:This does not mean that you are attacking your opponent until hislife is threatened. In reality, you should not need to render himfirst aid or call him an ambulance. The word disabled in this contextis to the point where he can not harm you. It is not to mean that youare actually beating him until he is disabled. He only need bedisabled for a length of time for you to be able to get away safely.However, different situations will require different outcomes so itis up to you to make the decision of 'how far yougo'.

Mate,you just told us to stomp on their heads. And you wont decide how faryoull go. If youre trained to stomp heads youll stomp heads. If yourenot trained to stomp heads, everyone knows how to do it, and if theytreat a mundane fight like its life or death when it often isnt,theyll do it anyway because everyone knows how to stompheads.

1.304The Element Of Surprise

Wheneverpossible, use the element of surprise. This is more commonly done atthe very start of a fight, but can also be utilised during a fight.The most obvious form of this is to attack when he is not ready. Thismay mean attacking from behind or distracting your opponent themoment before you attack. The distraction can be caused by you e.g.screaming, spitting in his face, throwing something at him etc. or bytaking advantage of situational distractions i.e. as soon as heshifts his attention to something other than you, even for a splitsecond, attack. Taking opportunity to make the first effective attackwill increase your chance of winning at multitude.

Ifyou scream, hell get angry. If you spit, hell get angry. If you throwsomething at him, hell get angry. By that i mean, while youre wastingenergy, hell keep attacking you with an added hint of anger becausein his mind, if you scream, its annoying. If you spit, you could bediseased. If you throw something at him, thats a hinderance. Even ina mundane fight, they wont just stop because you do something weird.And thats all youve listed here.

Methodsof surprise while fighting are more indirect and can include thingslike getting behind him (be sure to protect your own back at alltimes) or altering his vision. You could drop under his line ofsight, attack his blind spots, manoeuvre so objects and/or the sunblocks his sight, strike his nose (which will make his eyes water),throw something in his eyes eg sand (if throwing sand or similar, beaware of wind direction, you don't want it to blow back into you),knocking his glassed off, physically forcing his head down so he cantsee, using his arm to block his view (trapping) etc. In contrast, youmust discipline yourself not to get distracted. Never look away fromhim and always be mindful and alert.

Yeah,get behind him. Simple as that. :p
Ifyou go down under his line of sight, since he isnt retarded, hellthump your undefended head like a nicely poised ball.
Ifhe cant see, hell just keep going. Do you stop walking down thestreet because you have the sun in your eyes, or do you just keepwalking and tuck your chin down a bit?
Thenose is an incredibly unreliable target, and lavishlyoverrated.
Throwingsand and stuff is fine. Bravo! ...Unless they ignore it because theydont care.
Physicallyforcing someones head down is harder than you might think it is whentheyre trying to hit you repeatedly.
Usinghis arm to block his view. Simple as that. :p Sure, right.
Itsimpossible to discipline yourself not to be distracted. Chances arethough, as in all violence, youll have tunnel vision. The other guywill probably have more tunnel vision than you do, since youre busytrying to be positioned correctly.

Allstrategies, positions, disablers etc. are intertwined. You will useany number of them in an infinite number of combinations in order toachieve your ultimate aim during any singlefight.

...Sure.

Trainingin how to do this is what the rest of this manual is focusedon.

:drinkbeer

Well,i could be less polite about it.

EDIT: Storing this in notepad murdered the formatting of the first and second word of each line. Just incase anyone was wondering what happened there.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just to add to some of Cyriacus' comments, and because I will argue with opinions....

1.301 Adopt The Correct Mindset

Know in yourself that you are going to win. Having the correct winners mindset is often enough on its own to win a fight, however, you need to keep it balanced. Never under or overestimate your opponent or yourself. Fight as best you can every time.

Treat every fight as if you're fighting for your life. Never give up and expect to be hit. It is the mindset of a warrior, or soldier at war. You can cultivate this mindset in training firstly by channelling your anger when Sparring. If you find it hard to channel your anger, or you're generally not an angry person, try repeating the mantra 'KILL KILL KILL' in your head as you attack. Some people don’t like doing this because they feel it will change them internally and they do not wish to have a killer mindset. This is not true. In fact, I have found that by releasing your anger in this way, you are more calm in your normal course of life. It is in fact a healthy release of emotion.

Er... no. Everything written here... no.

In the midst of all this, you must also keep calm. Your personal calmness can infect those around you which may be enough to make your attacker(s) leave you alone. More importantly, being calm makes you less likely to make poor decisions and enhances your awareness. Calmness and awareness can be instilled through meditation. Meditation is covered in the FASD Survival Fitness Manual.

Calmnessis a point of view. I cant argue with a point ofview :)

While a sense of calmness is personal and relative, the idea of "your personal calmness can infect those around you" (when we're dealing with an assault in progress) is just plain fantasy. Additionally, calmness (in high stress, adrenalized situations) isn't instilled via meditation, it's instilled through repeated drilling methods. So, again, this is, at it's heart, wrong.

1.302 Your Ultimate Aim In A Street Fight

To incapacitate your opponent in the fastest possible way, while incurring the least possible damage to yourself.

Again,wont argue with opinions. But the other guy feelssimilarly.

Oh, I'd argue that opinion!That is far from your "ultimate aim" in street violence... and is all about the idea of "winning" against someone. Your ultimate aim is to escape (safely) and get away. By having the idea of "incapacitating" your opponent as part of the primary ideal, you've missed the point and reality.

To incapacitate your opponent basically means to leave him on the ground for long enough for you to escape. This is achieved by using one or more of four basic strategies. They are presented in order of preference, which means that you should always think to apply strategy one first. If that is not possible, then move onto strategy two and so on. Moving through these strategies can happen extremly fast, and resorting back to any of them when the opporunity presents itself is what will give you the best chance of victory.

Again,i cant and wont argue with points of view. Nothing wrong with thispart.

There's a lot wrong with that part... firstly, that the necessary step is to leave the opponent on the ground is again taking things to a point that is unnecessary, and can have you too focused on a single outcome, ignoring the realities of the situation. From there, your entire list of what the "strategies" that should be employed are, and the order, is irresponsible, unrealistic, and, again, borderline (if not outright in some locations) illegal.

Basic Strategy One: Disable with a weapon

Basic Strategy Two: Disable from behind

Basic Strategy Three: Disable from the front

Basic Strategy Four: Disable on the ground

Yeah, those ones. Cyriacus dealt with them well, but I just wanted to ensure that they were part of this post as well, to show just how bad your advice is.

Whilst adapting these strategies you use what is known in FASD (First Action Self Defense) as Position and Disable. Position refers to adopting and keeping advantages positions in order to Disable. Once in Position, Disable techniques are used to incapacitate your enemy. Disable techniques are grouped into the following categories:

Sure.Again, wont argue with viewpoints.

And, again, I will. This is how to win an MMA-style match, not how to apply self defence strategies and tactics. Everything here smacks of coming from a lack of education in real violence, self defence, and a lack of understanding of sporting methods, such as MMA. Moving to an advantageous position (in self defence) is not the same as moving to one in a competition format, and is not about being able to "incapacitate" the opponent.... it's about escaping safely.

As I said earlier, I don't think there's any real basis to your ideas, other than fantasy. To give an idea of where you're coming from (in combative terms), I would suggest people look over your videos... but, for those that don't like to click on links, I'm going to show just one here. It's on "Chokes", and it is filled with dangerous, poorly applied methods, a lack of knowledge of each choke shown, ineffective defences, a complete lack of ability to apply anything at all.

Hmm, actually, just went to do so, and it appears you've disabled the channel....

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
See, now i cant help myself. The following is me adding to your comments whilst being in a bit of a time constraint, and not spending the time editing all the relevant previous quotes in together. :)

Oh, I'd argue that opinion!That is far from your "ultimate aim" in street violence... and is all about the idea of "winning" against someone. Your ultimate aim is to escape (safely) and get away. By having the idea of "incapacitating" your opponent as part of the primary ideal, you've missed the point and reality.

Additionally, incapacitating people isnt especially easy. Im going to reference MMA here: Person A does X, person B responds with Y then follows up with Z. Thats sparring for you. X is ineffectual due to Y and Z is effective. Fighting =/= Sparring, and thats still keeping myself from exploding with a rant about how fighting is relatively safe. A question to all: Are you slow, stupid, and monolinear? If so, good for you. If not, name someone you know personally who does not suffer from any defect making them that way who is.

There's a lot wrong with that part... firstly, that the necessary step is to leave the opponent on the ground is again taking things to a point that is unnecessary, and can have you too focused on a single outcome, ignoring the realities of the situation. From there, your entire list of what the "strategies" that should be employed are, and the order, is irresponsible, unrealistic, and, again, borderline (if not outright in some locations) illegal.

Even if they were legal, its something ive seen in alot of people. They overreact to not knowing what to do and go to what they perceive as being extremes to make up for it.

And, again, I will. This is how to win an MMA-style match, not how to apply self defence strategies and tactics. Everything here smacks of coming from a lack of education in real violence, self defence, and a lack of understanding of sporting methods, such as MMA. Moving to an advantageous position (in self defence) is not the same as moving to one in a competition format, and is not about being able to "incapacitate" the opponent.... it's about escaping safely.

And even if it were, position isnt overly important so long as you can reach them. Position is overanalysed so that it can be codified. Range and angle matter, but you dont really need to think about them so much as long as youre aware of them.

As I said earlier, I don't think there's any real basis to your ideas, other than fantasy. To give an idea of where you're coming from (in combative terms), I would suggest people look over your videos... but, for those that don't like to click on links, I'm going to show just one here. It's on "Chokes", and it is filled with dangerous, poorly applied methods, a lack of knowledge of each choke shown, ineffective defences, a complete lack of ability to apply anything at all.

Hmm, actually, just went to do so, and it appears you've disabled the channel....

[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

:drinkbeer

OP
First Action

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Re-write... I look forward to suggestions on second round revisions.

Also, please read this post... http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sh...vest-your-knowledge-Help-me-improve-my-system

---

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Thisis the strategy to adopt while fighting. It assumes that all otheravenues of escape have been exhausted and you are 'forced' to fight.Escape is always your primary goal and every opportunity for escapeshould be taken as soon as it presents itself.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1.301Adopt The Correct Mindset[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Itis common to be afraid in a situation where you are forced to fight,but try to stay calm. Your personal calmness can infect those aroundyou which may be enough to make your attacker(s) leave you alone.Calmness and awareness can be instilled through meditation.Meditation is covered in the FASD Survival Fitness Manual.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Onceyou are engaging in a fight, do not give up. It is not realistic toimagine that you will come out unscathed, but have confidence inyourself that you are going to win. Once you give up in your mind,you have already lost. Never under or overestimate your opponent oryourself. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1.302Your Ultimate Aim In A Street Fight[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Toescape to safety with the least amount of damage to yourself and yourloved ones.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Note:Incurring the least damage to yourself is not limited to personalphysical well-being. It also covers your emotional damage, damage toloved ones, property etc. and entails any legal ramifications thatmay follow. The amount of damage you inflict on your opponent shouldbe 'capped' at what is needed to stop him/her/them from being athreat. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Note2: This manual covers themethod of escape referred to as Fighting. All other physical methodsof escape are covered in the Survival Fitness manual.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Inextreme/life threatening circumstances, you may find itnecessary to incapacitate your opponent. This is achieved by usingone or more of four basic strategies. They are presented in order ofpreference, which means that you should always think to applystrategy one first. If that is not possible, then move onto strategytwo and so on. Moving through these strategies can happen extremlyfast, and resorting back to any of them when the opporunity presentsitself is what will give you the best chance of victory.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]BasicStrategy One: Disable with a weapon[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]BasicStrategy Two: Disable from behind[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]BasicStrategy Three: Disable from the front[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]BasicStrategy Four: Disable on the ground[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Whilstadapting these strategies you use what is known in FASD (First ActionSelf Defense) as Position and Disable. Position refers to adoptingand keeping advantages positions in order to Disable. Once inPosition, Disable techniques are used to incapacitate your enemy.Disable techniques are grouped into the following categories:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Choke.Choke your opponent until he's unconscious[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]KO(Knock Out). Strike your opponent to the point where he can't getup[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Break.Incapacitate your opponent by breaking one or more of his bones[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Eyes.Take out your opponents' vision either directly or indirectly [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]GroundAnd Finish. Put him to the ground and then incapacitate himthere. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Note:The above disable techniques have the ability to cause permanantdamage, including brain damage and even death. Please review the Useof Force chapter. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Thereany many different ways to Position, the preference of which isdifferent depending on which strategy you are using. Likewise, thepreference of which Disable you use is dependant on the Position youare using. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1.303Go Hard And Don't Let Up[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Whenyou strike, hit hard, every time, and never let up or give him timeto recover. Always be on the attack, and attack hard. Go 100% fromyour first strike until he is disabled. The fight should be finishedin under 10 seconds, preferably in 3. Any more than this and youreither on the floor grappling or you must use longer fightingstrategies.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Thereis no room for compassion until after he has been disabled. It istrue that if you give him 'time to breathe' and room to escape hemay do so, but if he chooses not to then you have just allowed himtime to recover. Also, it gives him the chance to escalate thesituation eg pulling out a weapon, getting friends etc. People, likeanimals, are most dangerous when they feelcornered, so do not give him the chance to get more dangerous thanyou. Compassion is a wonderful thing in life, but there is no roomfor it in a life threatening situation. The risk is not worth it.Once you have disabled him you can show your compassion by callinghim an ambulance or rendering him first aid.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Note:This does not mean that you are attacking your opponent until hislife is threatened. In reality, you should not need to render himfirst aid or call him an ambulance. The word disabled in this contextis to the point where he can not harm you. It is not to mean that youare actually beating him until he is disabled. He only need bedisabled for a length of time for you to be able to get away safely.However, different situations will require different outcomes so itis up to you to make the decision of 'how far you go'.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1.304The Element Of Surprise[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Wheneverpossible, use the element of surprise. This is more commonly done atthe very start of a fight, but can also be utilised during a fight.The most obvious form of this is to attack when he is not ready. Thismay mean attacking from behind (for example, if you are aiding aloved one who is under attack) or distracting your opponent themoment before you attack. The distraction can be caused by you e.g.screaming, spitting in his face, throwing something at him etc. or bytaking advantage of situational distractions i.e. as soon as heshifts his attention to something other than you, even for a splitsecond, attack. Taking opportunity to make the first effective attackwill increase your chance of winning at multitude. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Methodsof surprise while fighting are more indirect and can include thingslike getting behind him (be sure to protect your own back at alltimes) or altering his vision. You could drop under his line ofsight, attack his blind spots, manoeuvre so objects and/or the sunblocks his sight, strike his nose (which will make his eyes water),throw something in his eyes eg sand (if throwing sand or similar, beaware of wind direction, you don't want it to blow back into you),knocking his glassed off, physically forcing his head down so he cantsee, using his arm to block his view (trapping) etc. In contrast, youmust discipline yourself not to get distracted. Never look away fromhim and always be mindful and alert. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Allstrategies, positions, disablers etc. are intertwined. You will useany number of them in an infinite number of combinations in order toachieve your ultimate aim during any single fight. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Training in how to do this iswhat the rest of this manual is focused on. [/FONT]

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, your trying to paste in what we've said without understanding how it fits with everything else. For example, you've changed the "ultimate aim" to incorporate the idea of escaping safely, but then still have your main methods being the same as before, including attacking with a weapon, attacking from behind... does that really sound like a self defence situation to you? All in all, it's still based in a lack of experience and understanding, and my advice is to abandon it until that is changed.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Re-write... I look forward to suggestions on second round revisions.

Mate, no offense, but just ammending things over and over doesnt make it better. Alot of it is just overstating the effectiveness of what youve mentioned so far, and as Chris said, youre just tacking on other peoples comments. And even they arent entirely accurate, since im fairly sure im not the only person whos not telling you the alternatives because were not your personal trainers.

As for your other thread ([h=2]I want to harvest your knowledge/Help me improve my system)[/h]
So you want us to tell you how to make your system? Mate, i can make my own systems. Why should i help to make yours, and why should someone else? Id rather feel sorry for someone who reads something youve put together like this and takes it as something worth learning.

Im going to reply to your other thread here, since it will lack context if i reply to this thread there.
Your sources of information are horribly flawed.

A training manual cant be perfect, but it can be useful. This isnt useful. Opinions and schools of thought might differ, but by that logic, your system is flawless elite military self defense because opinions and schools of thought are allowed to differ, and so forth. Reality is, some stuff just isnt useful. Round peg meets small square hole.

"So what I would like to do is post this training manual on this forum, so that the wealth of knowledge here can help me in making it better. Perhaps a chapter every other day. I would like feedback on all aspects. For example (but not limited to)"

So you want US to write your book for you? Us to correct all your mistakes, and guzzle our life experience, knowledge, and training into it just for your benefit? Why? The better option would be for you to stop trying to make a book thats been done multiple times by people vastly more qualified whove already covered all the important stuff.

"
- Different schools of thought on theories
- Improvement of technical descriptions
- If you think that something just flat out is not right (preferably accompanied by how to improve it/what is right)
- If you think something is good but you have an improvement
- Gramatical errors (US English)
- Anything you think I should add or remove"

Ive been trying not to be rude, but ive got to break that flow briefly.
Different schools of thought only apply to the means, not the end.
Improving the methods would be better than improving your descriptions.
As to everything else except the grammar part, you can accomplish all of them by removing the manual from existence.

"I will then use the information I feel valid to re-write the manual (Ill post the revisions)."

The information you feel is valid? Thats reassuring.

"Basically any constructive information you have."

Constructive meaning that you agree with, or feel is valid?

"
The system has not been created in the mind of replacing formal training or established 'styles'."

That should go without saying - Its not Karate, therefore it isnt replacing Karate. It isnt Judo, therefore it isnt replacing Judo. If it cant stand on its own two legs, its nothing in and of itself.

"
Rather, the aim is for the participant to be able to learn the basis of fighting techniques in a short time, and then, if he/she wishes, can continue to train himself and his loved ones. It is hoped that from these base techniques that he/she will be able to adapt and apply the principles to other situations."

Well, so far, i can think of countless ways of teaching people how to fight that can be done without the need for an entire manual. If thats what makes up a system, give me a piece of notebook paper and a pen. Dont actually give me one though, because i dont know you.

"
If it is ok, can you suggest a single place where I can post these chapters. It covers a fairlry wide range of subjects and I think it would be better if they where all in one place rather than all over the forum. "

Well, theres the recycle bin.
Or possibly dropbox, if you actually want to waste your time trying to get people to do your job for you.

OP
First Action

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I realize that the tone of the comments are not at all flattering to me, and even emotionally driven, so I apologize if I have offended/angered anyone. Its was not my intention.

In any case, you guys have given me alot to think about.. and your advise also carries on indirectly to other unrelated projects

So under advise given im going to lay off the project in this forum

Thanks for your time

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We're not emotionally invested one way or the other, you realize... so no, we haven't been acting (posting) emotionally. In fact, we've been rather clinical in our observations. But, that said, you have still not answered the most important questions (well, any questions, really), namely what experience or background do you have to think you're in a position to offer the type of advice and instruction you're trying to? Additionally, our advice wasn't to stop you pursuing your book and research here (although the way you e gone about it is hardly going to have anyone want to help you), our advice is to spend the necessary time learning first. At the moment, what we see is someone with no clue, a head full of fantasy, no real background, no credibility, little to no skill, trying to put themselves in a position as a source of legitimate, valid information... and, I gotta tell ya, that you ain't.

In essence, our advice is simple. Stop. Stop putting out books filled with bad advice, dangerous ideas, and misinformation. Stop believing you have something to offer (as a teacher), because you really don't. Stop trying to get others to fill in the blanks for you, go to a proper school for that. I asked where you are (geographically) so we could help with that, again, no answer from you. Pull down your website and Facebook page, they're just feeding a delusion. But above all, stop. Stop so you can get a clean start.

I really don't want to go through another Destroyer Style or Zenjael saga again...

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I realize that the tone of the comments are not at all flattering to me, and even emotionally driven, so I apologize if I have offended/angered anyone. Its was not my intention.

In any case, you guys have given me alot to think about.. and your advise also carries on indirectly to other unrelated projects

So under advise given im going to lay off the project in this forum

Thanks for your time
Emotionally?
For what its worth, i for one dont get emotional about forum threads :)

Well, have fun drifting around seeking a receptive audience rather than a qualified one! (Thats not a promotion of this site - More a comment about where youd find a receptive audience.)
Thats a prediction, more than anything.

I really don't want to go through another Destroyer Style or Zenjael saga again...

But theyre so much fun!

Latest Discussions