Fallen Officer had Failed Integrity Test - Seattle Police in the news again

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yesterday on the drive home I first heard about this story. As far as I can gather, a long time police officer had a drug problem and was suspected of lifting evidence. So, an "integrity test" was set up where he was put in the same vicinity as a purse that had a known amount of cocaine in it (not sure which variety, but I heard it was a rock). So, the purse finds its way into evidence, but the rock does not and he's arrested by his own. He is booked and then released after 30 minutes or so, where he returns home, gets his personal gun out, goes out to a trail and kills himself.

Questions I have, and I'd really like to hear from the LEOs on the board. What is up with the "integrity test?" Is that common? Is it normal for a department to investigate one of their own? Doesn't it seem like entrapment? Do police agencies have drug rehab policies?

I'm wondering how it would be handled elsewhere. In my non-LEO working career, if I suspected one of my employees has a drug issue, I wouldn't set them up. While they could very well end up being terminated, the first steps in many companies is to refer the person to rehab and perhaps place them on some kind of leave of absence (sometimes paid and sometimes more like a suspension).

There's a lot about this story that I don't understand. Ultimately, I'm just looking for someone to help me put things into context. I want to be clear, I'm not trying to suggest that something was done incorrectly. It's just outside of my experience, and was handled in what to me seems a strange manner.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Arrested-SPD-officer-accused-of-stealing-drugs-136751743.html

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That sucks a similar thing happened to an academy class mate of mine. He hurt his back and was given pain prescriptions and got hooked on them. When he stopped getting perscriptions from the docs he started buying them on the street. That led to Heroin use since its almost identical to Oxycontin and cheaper. That led to him eventually stealing property and drugs. Long story short he was arrested and fired. I spoke with him a few months ago he has got himself clean and now is working as a drug abuse counsler.

As far as integrity tests Ive seen it happen before I dont know how wide spread it is but I know it happens. I assume it happens alot more in larger departments that have the manpower for it. We have an internal affairs unit here that does all that stuff. My unit has assisted a neighboring agency during an internal investigation on a officer that lived in our city. They suspected he was stealing guns from property and selling them. He was caught and is in jail now.

As far as drug tratment for LEO as far as im aware if you come to your command staff admit you have a problem and ask for help they cant fire you because you fall under person with disabilitys act or something like that. If they catch you before you come clean then they can do as they please with you.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Entrapment is enticing a person to commit a crime when they would not normally have, just to be able to arrest them. Normally, you may provide an opportunity, but must not suggest in any way that a person commit a crime. They have to take an action to commit the crime, and law enforcement can only provide the opportunity. No suggestions. Google it for more information. But basically, providing an opportunity only, is not entrapment.

I have no idea which if any departments might do that as a routine matter to randomly test officers. I doubt many would. Normally, afik, departments will only run an operation like that based on suspicion/complaint, which seems to be the case in the OP's post. Sad the officer decided to take his own life.

As to being able to turn yourself in for treatment, I know some departments do that. I don't know if it is a wide spread practice or not. From my personal experience with drug abusers, I would be concerned about their ability to stay drug free. You can't just treat the drug abuse without treating the cause for the abuse. That is possible, but can be very complicated too. That said, I am sure there must be examples of officers who turned themselves in, got treated/detoxified, and stayed drug free.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not entrapment.

Some departments have what I'll charitably call aggressive internal affairs divisions or units. They will do things like set up situations hoping to snare someone. Others only do something like that in response to specific information; that's what seems to apply here. They had specific information, and acted on it. Unfortunately and tragically, it was accurate.

Most departments have some form of employee assistance program, including drug and alcohol treatment availability. However, generally, the employee has to seek help before they get caught...

As to who investigates potential crimes, it depends. Most departments have an Internal Affairs function. It may be a designated command staff member, it may be a standing "professional integrity" unit. A lot depends on the size of the department. Departments will sometimes reach out to another nearby department or to the state police or even the FBI for assistance, as well, if they can't do it in-house for some reason. And the state police or attorney general and/or the FBI can investigate a department, as well. There's one department in my area that's been effectively shut down by the FBI at least twice...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm wondering how it would be handled elsewhere. In my non-LEO working career, if I suspected one of my employees has a drug issue, I wouldn't set them up. While they could very well end up being terminated, the first steps in many companies is to refer the person to rehab and perhaps place them on some kind of leave of absence (sometimes paid and sometimes more like a suspension).

There's a lot about this story that I don't understand. Ultimately, I'm just looking for someone to help me put things into context. I want to be clear, I'm not trying to suggest that something was done incorrectly. It's just outside of my experience, and was handled in what to me seems a strange manner.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Arrested-SPD-officer-accused-of-stealing-drugs-136751743.html

I don't think the key difference is LEO vs. non-LEO.

Rather, I believe the practice stems from the BFOQs of the job. It wouldn't be good management practice for you or I to put our employees through such an integrity test, because our employees are not required to manage controlled substances as part of their job responsibilities. Some jobs do have that requirement...not just peace officers, but also nurses, pharmacists/pharma techs, manufacturer's reps, etc.

In this story, there is more than just a worker with a drug problem. This is a worker who is required to handle controlled substances as part of their job (I'm sure accommodations could have been made for the worker had he asked for help, but it sounds like sadly he did not). Additionally, the worker's drug problem may have interfered with the prosecution of criminal cases. There is a bit more at stake here.

Typically in such a situation, there are also more resources (for the employee) available as well. Pharmacists, for example, have access to a drug counseling program that specifically deals with the risks of the profession, I would imagine an EAP for a police department would have something similar. However, the employee must voluntarily reach out for help before they get in to this kind of trouble.

Shame to hear the officer took his life :(

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday on the drive home I first heard about this story. As far as I can gather, a long time police officer had a drug problem and was suspected of lifting evidence. So, an "integrity test" was set up where he was put in the same vicinity as a purse that had a known amount of cocaine in it (not sure which variety, but I heard it was a rock). So, the purse finds its way into evidence, but the rock does not and he's arrested by his own. He is booked and then released after 30 minutes or so, where he returns home, gets his personal gun out, goes out to a trail and kills himself.

Questions I have, and I'd really like to hear from the LEOs on the board. What is up with the "integrity test?" Is that common? Is it normal for a department to investigate one of their own? Doesn't it seem like entrapment? Do police agencies have drug rehab policies?

I'm not an LEO, but I'll toss in my .02. :) To play devils advocate for a moment...the PDs around the world, routinely set people up with fake drug deals, prostitution stings, etc. In essence, they did the same thing to their officer, that they routinely do to unsuspecting citizens. If he was 'suspected' of stealing evidence, that sounds to me, that they didn't have 100% proof that he was doing it, thus the set up.

No doubt he killed himself because he probably feared the worst...that he'd lose his job....much like we've seen people run from the police, because they have a suspended DL.....so instead of stopping, and the worst that usually happens is a ticket and the car towed, now they face a slew of charges. With all of the assistance programs available, I'd find it odd to think that the PD wouldn't have helped this guy. I wonder if help was offered after he was arrested.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
CIA, yes.

FBI, not to my knowledge.

It's a side point and I don't want to distract the discussion, but imagine if your right hand was investigating a situation and left hand was creating it. It's mind boggling.

Latest Discussions