Woman shoots intruder, 21 minutes after calling 911...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see this story on the martial arts side, I may have missed it, so I thought I would post it. Since there are second ammendment issues, as well as law enforcement issues, I decided to post it here.

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture...uder-911-operator-says-do-what-you-have-to-do

A young mother in Oklahoma was home alone with her baby when she shot and killed an intruder. Sarah McKinley was on the phone with the 911 operator telling her that the man is trying to get into the house. She says to the operator, “I have two guns in my hands, if he gets in should I shoot him?” The 911 operator responds "I can't tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby." That’s just what this young mother did; she shot and killed the man as he made his way into the house, according to ABC News.

The interesting part is that she was on the phone with 911 for 21 minutes when the idiots finally managed to cross the doors threshhold, and she was forced to kill one of them. I don't blame the police here, most police will admit that they can't be everywhere when they are most needed. Good job on the part of the woman. This is just one reason that we need the 2nd amendment.

The 911 operator stayed on the phone for 21 minutes with McKinley and when Martin kicked in the door and came after her with a knife, McKinley shot the 24 year-old man.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Saw that. It reinforces the point that it's you job to protect yourself, not the polices.
Good for her.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good for her! Its good to see people fight back! As for the time....yeah, it can seem like an eternity for help to get there. I've been on the phone with people who're in situations like this or similar, so I can relate to the time. I'm not faulting the PD either. Where she lived, could be a small, rural town, perhaps only a few officers on, etc.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I agree with everyone here. I have heard, however, some conclusions thrown around on the local radio here in Seattle that I disagree with. Yesterday morning, there were some local guys talking about it on the radio and they basically set up a false dichotomy where gun control would mean that this women would not have been legally allowed to purchase a gun.

I completely understand that there are people in our country who believe that guns should be legally banned, I also believe that gun control to most people is about regulation and accountability. In other words, gun control does not necessarily equal anti-gun ownership.

I'm for more regulatory control over who can purchase weapons, but I'm also for lifting most of the existing bans that are in place, as well.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm for more regulatory control over who can purchase weapons, but I'm also for lifting most of the existing bans that are in place, as well.

My question would be how much more control do you want? And how would new gun laws effect all the illegal guns alreadyon the streets?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My question would be how much more control do you want? And how would new gun laws effect all the illegal guns alreadyon the streets?

Not sure how it is were you ar, but around here, I think they pass them out at birth.

It certainly could be better. However, the lady did not empty 30 rounds into the perps from an M16, she had a pistol and a shotgun...

And yes, 21 minutes can be freakishly long when you have people beating down your door... heck, 5 minutes are an eternity when you are laying on the pavement waiting for the ambulance...and yet, I think response times of an hour are absolutely not unheard of.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure how it is were you ar, but around here, I think they pass them out at birth.
Not here we have very strick gun laws and we still have one of the top gun crime rates in the US. Thats the point what gun law can you create that will make a criminal turn in his illegal gun when its already a crime for him to have one in the first place?

It certainly could be better. However, the lady did not empty 30 rounds into the perps from an M16, she had a pistol and a shotgun...

And yes, 21 minutes can be freakishly long when you have people beating down your door... heck, 5 minutes are an eternity when you are laying on the pavement waiting for the ambulance...and yet, I think response times of an hour are absolutely not unheard of.

Yeah an hour can be normal in some places. My good friend is a deputy in a rual county and Ive rode with him on midnight shift a few times and if hes up in the northern part of his county and gets a serious call in the southern part even running full lights and sirens it takes over an hour to get there. Hes usually the only deputy working in the county on midnights so if hes already on a call the wait gets even longer. Lucky for him he can go a whole week on midnights and never get a call all night.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've always been a sucker for happy endings.

As for the politics - I guess it depends on how you look at it. To some, guns can be a legal issue, to others, a tool. I'm all for either opinion.

Latest Discussions