Eye gouging thread

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Humans are not pure carnivore such as a lion/tiger etc. Our teeth are not designed to just bite and tear flesh. If you just open up and clamp your mouth on something, you may cause pain but you are not going to get much panic reaction from it. The purpose of biting is to cause panic in the other person and their instinct is to just get away. The time I was bitten in a fight, the person didn't know what they were doing and just clamped on and down, and it didn't even break the skin. Just an annoyance and made me want to hurt them more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL24yv5bJaA&feature=plcp

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion polite and respectful.

jks9199
Asst. Administrator

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
meh, they get KO'ed by equally experienced fighters in the ring and not usually from slobs nor masters of play fighting.

The point being that they do get KO'ed: they clearly didn't slip the punch that knocked them out. They might not slip the eyepoke-in fact, as I pointed out, boxers get thumbed in the eye from time to time, in the boxing ring.

As for "equally experienced," every one of the men Mike Tyson knocked out in his run up to the championship had far, far more experience than he did, both as amateurs and professionals. Of course, some of those "real fighter, Pro Boxer, superior power, speed and precision" guys were what's commonly referred to as 'tomato cans," but some of them were pretty fair boxers.

Of course, it was a "tomato can" named Buster Douglas who laid Tyson low the first time....:lol:

I don't remember that Old-timer, but I don't doubt eye gouging works. Especially for oldguys. But don't try to compare the speed, power and precision of a Pro Boxer with that of a play-fighter. Wonder who's going to be faster, more powerful and more precise?

The one who is faster, more powerful and more precise is going to be faster, more powerful and more precise-doesn't necessarily have to be the "Pro Boxer," and doesn't necessarily mean they'll be the winner-I've beaten lots of people in contests like boxing who were faster or more powerful than I was-and certainly more precise.

In any case, I certainly meant no disrespect by pointing out that you might not be old enough to remember the whole "thumbless gloves" movement, short-lived as it was (thumbless gloves suck!)-the Hearns-Leonard fight, and Sugar Ray's first retirement both took place in 1981. My son was born in 1983, and he's now a grown, married man of nearly 30, who obviously can't remember that fight taking place, or the subsequent events. I, btw, was 21, and still boxing and kickboxing myself......

USA Boxing, of course, the governing body for amateur boxing and Olympic style in the U.S., mandates the use of thumbless gloves, nowadays-or those gloves with the thumb stitched onto the main body of the glove, which seems to be what most guys use.

What kind of gloves do you use?

Sorry but I would be a really big sucker if I need to pay someone to teach me how to eyegouge. Do you pay for tactical biting lessons too? With or without dentures?

No-it's axiomatic-if it's worth doing, it's worth learning to do correctly and practicing for. You know how to speak, without stuttering or lisping, I'm assuming, but if you were going to give a speech, you'd polish the language and practice it. It's really the same for anything.

Oh, "dentures." See, there ya go-I haven't been disrespectful of you at all-merely as derisive as I normally am to everyone. Of course, I also still have almost couple of dozen teeth in my mouth, for now....:lfao:

Last edited:

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This sounds like what schools do in order to milk the most money out of their students by creating some elaborate diagram on how to poke someone in the eye.

This is your response when someone advocates a tactical approach? Have you ever used strategy before?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess this is where the TMA and SD people are heading, now that all the young blood are switching or flocking to MMA right? Tactical biting 101 and making it sound like every situation will be a life or death one.

My school is traditional and has around 160 students. The local MMA gym has 20. So no, not everyone is flocking to MMA gyms. When is the last time you even set foot in a traditional school?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My school is traditional and has around 160 students. The local MMA gym has 20. So no, not everyone is flocking to MMA gyms. When is the last time you even set foot in a traditional school?

and those that do go to MMA gyms aren't all the 'young ones', it has something for everyone if that's what they want to do.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Exactly. I'm not knocking MMA at all. People join different gyms or dojo for different reasons.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you know the situation of this fight? What were the rules being used.

I don't, but what other rules in a standup fight are there when 2 styles are pitted against one another with a camera there? Just no biting, no eye gouging nor other anti-rape techniques. And don't get knocked down nor KTFO.

How much experience did the boxers have versus how much experience did the karetekas have?

Who knows, that could be 5 months of Boxing right there, vs. 5 years of Karate or vice versa. What's obvious though is that the Boxers train and spar often and for full KO's (which is standard for most Boxing gyms) while the Karate practices a lot of forms and pretend-fight only.

For the first question, since most of the boxers punches were light except for a few, im assuming that it was supposed to be light fighting, and the boxer put in the harder punches through either a lack of self control or to be an a$$.

No, the Boxer cracked him hard with a lead hook at the 15sec mark. The first 14 seconds was the feeling out process where he wasn't committing fully yet until he figured out the Karateka's timing, tendencies, etc. This is standard for most experienced fighters. He was jabbing and even missed with the 1st lead hook.

And why would a fight be "LIGHT"? You're out to knock the other guy out. The camera, count and the style vs. style should be a good indication that this was a lot more serious than friendly, light sparring.

For the second one, one of them obviously didn't have a lot, since he was a white belt, and it's perfectly possible the other one was too.

The setting looked more like a Boxing gym than a Karate dojo. It's customary and a show of respect for visiting Karatekas to wear WHITE belts when visiting other dojos. Also, most competitors like to downplay their rank. I know I do.

Regardless, it's a fight. No one forced these Karatekas to fight. All 3 of them kept going with their tap-tap fighting while getting cracked in the head over and over. This is what sparring light all the time and never for KO's will get you.

Finally, if the rules were that they were supposed to spar full contact/hard contact, then I'm going to assume the karetekas, through personal experience or the system, haven't fought full contact before.

That is just as bad, maybe worse, as always doing full contact IMO,

No Boxing gyms nor fighting gyms nor MMA "always" go "full contact". This is almost impossible. All the noobs and women would get KTFO every class, go to work with black eyes and concussions....and cancel their membership. The gym will go out of business.

Boxers goes for KO's most often, but not everyone is forced to spar. Some gyms have designated, sparring time or sparring class while the regular class is more on everything else but no sparring.

but there are times when you cant/shouldnt do that (when hitting vitals, or versus beginners).

Well we don't hit the back of the head, spine, kidneys, nutsack and such. Kidneys, chest, ribs, face, temple, etc. are fine. Sometimes throats are hit, but they don't land well to do that much damage. Sometimes I do crack beginners in my gym who goes crazy with the power, to get them to calm down.

But this video is a fight between schools of 2 different styles. In a fight, I'm going to try to hurt my opponent and knock him out. He shouldn't be stepping up if he's a noob.

After getting punched that hard for the first time, you'd think the Karatekas would start fighting back, hard. They didn't. The 2nd and especially the 3rd Karateka, had all that time to see that the Boxer were throwing full punches, yet they can't break out of their tap-tap fighting style.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The point being that they do get KO'ed: they clearly didn't slip the punch that knocked them out. They might not slip the eyepoke-in fact, as I pointed out, boxers get thumbed in the eye from time to time, in the boxing ring.

You just discovered that Boxers do get KO'ed and that slipping is not 100% effective at all times? :lol:

The one who is faster, more powerful and more precise is going to be faster, more powerful and more precise-doesn't necessarily have to be the "Pro Boxer," and doesn't necessarily mean they'll be the winner-I've beaten lots of people in contests like boxing who were faster or more powerful than I was-and certainly more precise.

I said, Pro fighter vs. Play-fighter.

Oh, "dentures." See, there ya go-I haven't been disrespectful of you at all-merely as derisive as I normally am to everyone. Of course, I also still have almost couple of dozen teeth in my mouth, for now....:lfao:

I'm just playing too 'bro. Can I call you 'bro btw? Reason I asked is b/c someone went all psycho on here when I called them homey.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yep, didn't bite correctly to cause a panic reaction. Once again you are negating things you have no proper training on or understanding of. That's ok, just realize that there is more out there than "boxing" for effective tools to use.

Haha, are you serious? The fatguy bit off a piece of his ear! Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

And no, I'm still not going to pay someone money to teach me how to bite another person.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Ok you got me on a technicality where I should have stated, most of the younger crowd instead of implying all. It's like filing court documents in here. :D

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im not going to use the quote function for this one, since my overall response can be narrowed down to a few statements, but this is in reply to Mz1's reply to my reply lol
1: You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about the rules of the fight, how the fight came about, and the rankings of the individuals (yes, I was doing the same thing, but my point here is that neither of us know the full situation, so an argument about that will go nowhere)
2: I didn't say that always fighting full-contact is a thing, I just said that never fighting full-contact, or at least close, is worse than always doing it. I've heard at least one school that does only full contact once the fighters have enough experience, and many schools that do the opposite, and I approve of neither (for the most part).
3: I completely agree...regardless of whether or not the fight was supposed to be a light, friendly match from one style to another, when the karetekas saw the boxers were punching hard, they should have responded in kind. The fact that they didn't, despite my statement #1, leads me to believe that either they really were white belts, or that their school is one of the "no full or semi-contact sparring"/"only point sparring" schools.
4:You still ignored the question about "Yea, at least we found something that you're good at.". How would you know what I am or am not good at/what is it that you think I'm not good at?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok you got me on a technicality where I should have stated, most of the younger crowd instead of implying all. It's like filing court documents in here. :D

I didn't get you on a technicality. I got you period. Your statement is false.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Haha, are you serious? The fatguy bit off a piece of his ear! Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

OK. This, I agree with. Adrenaline will definitely negate the experience of pain to where pain reactions may not be that effective. But what I am talking about is what does a person do after he bites or eye gouges someone? On their own, they may not be enough to stop a committed attacker. They must be used as a set up for something else. You teach eye gouging or the like so you can teach what to do right after that. It gives people a reference point as they will instinctively bite or scratch when in desperation. Practicing such things and their follow ups in the dojo will make you more likely to recall those movements through muscle memory if you ever find yourself in that situation for real.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You haven't actually provided any reason for anybody to believe that "most" is any more accurate than your earlier (false) claim.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK. This, I agree with. Adrenaline will definitely negate the experience of pain to where pain reactions may not be that effective. But what I am talking about is what does a person do after he bites or eye gouges someone? On their own, they may not be enough to stop a committed attacker. They must be used as a set up for something else. You teach eye gouging or the like so you can teach what to do right after that. It gives people a reference point as they will instinctively bite or scratch when in desperation. Practicing such things and their follow ups in the dojo will make you more likely to recall those movements through muscle memory if you ever find yourself in that situation for real.

No thanks, I'll just stick to kneeing and elbowing my opponents in the face, which I'm already good at and have done it in real fights in the cage and in the street.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No thanks, I'll just stick to kneeing and elbowing my opponents in the face, which I'm already good at and have done it in real fights in the cage and in the street.

Jolly good.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Ok. You do that then.

Latest Discussions