Extra Stuff

W

WhiteTiger

I would like to know, what sort of "Extra Stuff" anyone has added to thier programs, over and above the requirements for AK or Tracy's. You know to sort of fill the gaps, e.g. (groundfighting, katas, weapons, thowing and falling). We have recently added a joint lock (2) person kata to practice obtaining and transitioning differant holds and joint locks. We do 14 differant joint locks on each side ending in a throw. If you would like to see the Joint Lock Kata it is on Joe Simonet's Beyond Kenpo tapes. Excellent tapes by the way.

OP
E

Elfan

I do falling, throwing, weapons work, groundfighting in addition to what I supose you would call the "standard" AK Kenpo requirements. I don't look at it as fundamentally differnt stuff though.

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by WhiteTiger

I would like to know, what sort of "Extra Stuff" anyone has added to thier programs, over and above the requirements for AK or Tracy's. You know to sort of fill the gaps, e.g. (groundfighting, katas, weapons, thowing and falling). We have recently added a joint lock (2) person kata to practice obtaining and transitioning differant holds and joint locks. We do 14 differant joint locks on each side ending in a throw. If you would like to see the Joint Lock Kata it is on Joe Simonet's Beyond Kenpo tapes. Excellent tapes by the way.

Most all instructors have their own personal sets, forms and drills. That is what your thesis for black and above is for. Once you are able to engineer the movements of offensive or defensive material things will come in bunches. Always good to see and feel what other instructors are doing. I have a few extree two man sets that address other things then what original
2man does. However they are supplemental and do not replace the original.

:asian:

OP
C

c2kenpo

Originally posted by WhiteTiger

Is this assing to our school curriculum? Or to our individual training?
Big difference between the two.
Personally at our Purple and above group we begin to add groundwork and "insertions" but most of this we start to see as just part of the curriculum at that level.
The main thing I am adding to my Kenpo training is the CDT training system to balance out the "I can break your arm and nose and leg" and turn that into a one man situation that can be controlled and subdued without resorting to damage.

Two men or more...well.. why do you think I train kenpo?:D
Expand, Enunciate, Enlighten
Dave

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rainman

I have a few extre two man sets that address other things then what original 2man does. However they are supplemental and do not replace the original.

:asian:

More two man sets would be cool.

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
More two man sets would be cool.

Then make some up! There isn't some rule against creating your own forms. You could have a class where everyone partners up and makes their own two man form.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
personally, I'd like to see groundfighting added. I keep hearing that groundfighting is a part of kenpo, but I've never done it. I think if I ever ended up in a groundfight, I'd be totally lost.

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by nightingale8472
personally, I'd like to see groundfighting added. I keep hearing that groundfighting is a part of kenpo, but I've never done it. I think if I ever ended up in a groundfight, I'd be totally lost.

Doesn't need to be added- it already exits.:rolleyes:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
EXACTLY!!!

people keep saying that its already there, but a lot of kenpo schools don't actively teach it. they just say its there.

OP
E

Elfan

EXACTLY!!!

people keep saying that its already there, but a lot of kenpo schools don't actively teach it. they just say its there.

Perhaps you could talk to your instructor about working to fix that. Go out and learn "groundfighting stuf" and then bring it back to your school. Sounds like a fun project to me. :-D

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol. he knows how to ground fight.

its just not part of our curriculum (not required for belts) so it doesn't show up a lot in class.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this subject takes a special kind of instructor with knowledge in ground fighting. Not all material we do works on the horizontal plane. Contact manipulation must be learned, practiced, tested over and over before you get a true understanding about ground fighting. I throughly enjoy myself each time I go into my friends class. He is so technically sound as is his students. If anyone would like to check him out pm me for his website. I will not just give it out right here.

OP
E

Elfan

lol. he knows how to ground fight.

its just not part of our curriculum (not required for belts) so it doesn't show up a lot in class.

Well start bugging him for some more. ;-) Instructors can't improve the classes if you don't tell them what you want ;-)

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have my students practice juggling rabbid ferrets.
I feel that we, in American Kenpo, do not juggle small ferral animals nearly enough. It's a gapping hole in our curriculli!!! Think about it! It's been said for eons that 90% of all fighters "Go Ferral". Therefore the only logical plan of action: "Ferret Juggling"!!!! OH... I know, what about wolverines...etc. Wolverines are on the endangered list, not enough of them about. SOooo...what about our forms in which we are going through the motions of a good ole badger fight, well... it's not "realisitic" on today's streets, so it's out of our curriculum. Ferrets are where it's at!!!!
Cats are OK, but they make better projectiles really... landing claws first like they do.... but have you ever tried to shake off a rabbid ferret? It's quite the exerience. OH sure, the doctor's bills from all of those rabies shots gets expensive...but a martial artist has to pay ones dues if he's to survive his next rabid ferret attack!!! It's most crucial though to have your ferret attack you in a realistic way while you are juggling them. Don't want to train 'wrong'. Next week I'll be teaching a seminar on choke-holds on small forest creatures.
Don't laugh.... it's true! You ever try to strangle a possum? Sure the approch is easy with them going belly up and all, but then there's the grip... those guys are oily! And don't even get me going about hedgehogs! The quils are terribly difficult to get out of a heavy canvas Gi, let alone your flesh on the inside of that Gi. I'm still working on my curriculum for dealing with the savage attacks from wide-mouth bass!! All too common these days, those uppity fish! Something must be done.
Something must also be done about those darned eel assualts too.
There are sooo many holes in our work...
Back to the drawing board!!!!!!!
Your Brorther (did you know that Llamas SPIT!!)
John
:idunno:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too much egg-nog!!!!
Y.B.
J

Attachments

• $man2.gif
    $man2.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 238

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John
I have my students practice juggling rabbid ferrets.
Your Brorther (did you know that Llamas SPIT!!)
John
:idunno:

Here in England, Ferret Juggling has been outlawed.

I did see a very funny movie called 'Kung Pow' where the hero defeated hoards of enemies with a pair of 'Gopher Chuks', but unfortunately, we dont have gophers in this country.

Hedgehog Shurikens are probably the best we could come up with, but I certainly wouldn't want to juggle with them.

Les

OP
J

Jill666

Oh Brother John-

I knew those ferrets had to have a better purpose than stealing my car keys and laying across my neck at night, promoting dreams of being strangled by a curiously furry constrictor.

By the way, the only thing more disturbing than that little stick figure you got is the "chorus girl" edition.

Latest Discussions