Extentions

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seig said:
I thought he said he got his second from Mr. Trejo.....:confused:

But it's 2nd Degree. Recieved from Kumu Palani in 1999. I've also trained in Tracy's Kenpo, Kanzen Kenpo, Shotokan, Shuri-Te, Ju-Jitsu, Aikido, Boxing & Wrestling

I went back and looked for his post. This is what he said. I'm confused now too??? :idunno:

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
Sorry guys..what I meant was that in the past few years I have not had alot of opportunity to train with my personal instructor "JAYBACCA". So I have had to leave the nest so to speak temporyly and seek out my info from 1st generation people/Instructors.

P.S. You should all try Zac Whitson's Kenpo Counterpoint training tapes or seminars. Totally awsome stuff and info.

Sounds to me like you're just trying to cover up a lie that you told before.

Mike

OP
B

BlackPhoenix

Kumu Palani was there at my school teaching a seminar that day. I was put to 2nd Jabacca was put to 4th. And I'm actually getting sick of this ****. This is a forum to discuss the system not each other. And come to think about...I don't even know why I'm getting dragged into people's ******** anyway. It's nobodys damn business who I trained with in the first place. Talk to me when you want to talk about our different trainging styles, the martial arts or street fighting.

P.S. You better not ever let me find out exactly who you are and where you are...Never call me a liar. Where I come from that no different than calling a Afro American ( You Know ). And yes I'm Afro America. And if you want to call me a liar again, put your money where your mouth is and I'll personally see if you've learned your lessons. But if you don't call me that again I'll disregard what you said then get on to a fresh start. I won't even ask for an apology.
MJS said:
Sounds to me like you're just trying to cover up a lie that you told before.

Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
Kumu Palani was there at my school teaching a seminar that day. I was put to 2nd Jabacca was put to 4th. And I'm actually getting sick of this ****. This is a forum to discuss the system not each other.

P.S. You better not ever let me find out exactly who you are and where you are...Never call me a liar. Where I come from that no different than calling a Afro American ( You Know ). And yes I'm Afro America.

Be careful of internet threats, because it crosses state lines it could lead to federal level or felony charges... and the "I was only kidding" argument doesn't work. So much for the control issue of MA... as well as the character issue from what I have seen. Sort of like calling Knights 'chivalrous' instead of trying to be chivalrous. So are you calling lumping the people questioning your integrity as jerks AND racist now?

My question is this. In my practice of Kenpo, since it was blended so much with FMA, the specific term EXTENTIONS doesn't really come up: What do you mean by it, and what does the practice of it try and develop?

OP
B

BlackPhoenix

This is a good point also.

MisterMike said:
I know a lot of Kenpo people who are quite "rounded." --Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I don't think the extensions were a marketing idea though. Perhaps naming them "Extensions" was, but the content makes the system what it is. I'd say the marketing kicked in when they went from 4 belts(32 system) to 8(16/24 system) so customers would have more frequent tests/rank promotions.

Of couse I may be wrong and it was much earlier than that...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
Kumu Palani was there at my school teaching a seminar that day. I was put to 2nd Jabacca was put to 4th. And I'm actually getting sick of this ****. This is a forum to discuss the system not each other. And come to think about...I don't even know why I'm getting dragged into people's ******** anyway. It's nobodys damn business who I trained with in the first place. Talk to me when you want to talk about our different trainging styles, the martial arts or street fighting.

No, what matters is that you talk in circles. You tell so many LIES that its starting to catch up to you.

P.S. You better not ever let me find out exactly who you are and where you are...Never call me a liar. Where I come from that no different than calling a Afro American ( You Know ). And yes I'm Afro America. And if you want to call me a liar again, put your money where your mouth is and I'll personally see if you've learned your lessons. But if you don't call me that again I'll disregard what you said then get on to a fresh start. I won't even ask for an apology.

LOL! LOL! Big tough words, from a very little man!!

Mike

OP
B

BlackPhoenix

There were originally 32 extentions taught. And my sources say that Mr. Parker did'nt even make all of them up. It's pretty much the same thing as believing Mr.Parker wrote everything in the "Infinite Insights into Kenpo" books. Or that Kenpo invented marriage of gravity torque or back up mass. And what everyone has heard a million times..."What the hell are you doing...Mr. Parker did'nt teach it that way !!!"

Like I said Before...Extention's can be fun to learn and you can learn a few different new ways to move, Etc, Etc. But It comes down to this. You've got to put up or shut up. The Extentions may make you a little bit well rounded as a Kenpo Practitioner. This may be true. But I do not believe they will make you a better fighter on the street. One may do line drills in the Dojo and may take strike of about 50% power. This has to be intensified. Just because we do Karate or Kenpo should not make you think that you can take the punch from a well rounded boxer or and experienced street fighter. Mr. planas also said that the guy on the street breaths, kias, moves, kicks, punches, claws, Etc. just like you do so therefore you better do it better and harder than he or she can. If you study your base techniques in depth enough, whatever that may be...you will have the capability of creating your ow so called extension ( Prefix a Prefix ). Remember the techniques are mostly no more than ideas/concepts and lesson plans.

And I still do see that alot of the extentions are busy work of filler. I believe that we shoulde spend more time in developing stronger basics at any level and being truly spontaneous at base base techniques or part of.

P.S. I was not joking... If you can dish out disresecting another man we all have to take it back.

loki09789 said:
Be careful of internet threats, because it crosses state lines it could lead to federal level or felony charges... and the "I was only kidding" argument doesn't work. So much for the control issue of MA... as well as the character issue from what I have seen. Sort of like calling Knights 'chivalrous' instead of trying to be chivalrous. So are you calling lumping the people questioning your integrity as jerks AND racist now?

My question is this. In my practice of Kenpo, since it was blended so much with FMA, the specific term EXTENTIONS doesn't really come up: What do you mean by it, and what does the practice of it try and develop?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
There were originally 32 extentions taught. And my sources say that Mr. Parker did'nt even make all of them up. It's pretty much the same thing as believing Mr.Parker wrote everything in the "Infinite Insights into Kenpo" books. Or that Kenpo invented marriage of gravity torque or back up mass. And what everyone has heard a million times..."What the hell are you doing...Mr. Parker did'nt teach it that way !!!"

Your sources huh?? More mystery that surrounds the BlackPhoenix!! :boing2:

Like I said Before...Extention's can be fun to learn and you can learn a few different new ways to move, Etc, Etc. But It comes down to this. You've got to put up or shut up. The Extentions may make you a little bit well rounded as a Kenpo Practitioner. This may be true. But I do not believe they will make you a better fighter on the street. One may do line drills in the Dojo and may take strike of about 50% power. This has to be intensified. Just because we do Karate or Kenpo should not make you think that you can take the punch from a well rounded boxer or and experienced street fighter. Mr. planas also said that the guy on the street breaths, kias, moves, kicks, punches, claws, Etc. just like you do so therefore you better do it better and harder than he or she can. If you study your base techniques in depth enough, whatever that may be...you will have the capability of creating your ow so called extension ( Prefix a Prefix ). Remember the techniques are mostly no more than ideas/concepts and lesson plans.

This just goes to show the true lack of understanding that you have of the art!!!

P.S. I was not joking... If you can dish out disresecting another man we all have to take it back.

YOU have been disrespecting people from the first day you came to this thread, and now it appears that you took it a step further. I'm glad that you have gained the self control that the arts are supposed to teach. I can see that you are apparently lacking in that area as well as a few others.

Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:

Still haven't identified exactly WHAT extentions are. An example of one and how it is used might help me to understand. As far as joking, I didn't think you were joking, nor have I insulted you. You are stepping into dangerous liability and litigious ground with threats of violence and subtle accusations of racism, just sending up a red flag.

As far as who taught, wrote, created..... honestly as part of the FMA tradition, I will give credit where credit is due, but I am going to take it if it works for me and my goals.....

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Threats will not be tolerated.

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-Michael Billings
-MT Moderator-

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Perhaps it might be better to simply get on these forums, state who you are in your own name rather than an alias, explain what you think is true, ask the questions you really want to ask, and avoid presenting truisms and generalities as Deep Thoughts, rather than assuming a position of automatically-superior knowledge and trying to trick the poor, benighted masses into some recognition.

That way, everybody with a functioning brain would know what axe everybody else is grinding, and we could debate/discuss the issues, rather than spiraling around and around and around in these endless combinations of silly personal attacks and tiresome, "I never said what I said," assertions.

For example, I believe that the sets, forms, extensions are of immense value, and I think it is fundamentally a mistake to edit them out of, "the kenpo system," whatever you happen to think that system is and however you think it got put together.

(Another essay-question issue to debate, sometime: Mr. Parker as genius editor, rather than "author," in the usual sense; read Michel Foucault, "What Is an Author?" research best-available facts about who wrote which parts of kenpo system. Examine ways these "individual," aspects were written into aa complete system. Discuss.)

I also think that there is an extraordinary contradiction, one worth examining, between saying that one works the extensions to become a better-rounded kenpo guy, but one does not teach them to students.

I think such a statement indicates something that I've previously described as, "Burning bridges that your students need to cross."

There it is. Ya says what ya thinks, ya tries to explain why ya thinks it, ya don't pretend to be innocently inquiring. It's plain, it's fair, it might just start a real discussion, and above all--it's simpler than all the tricksy stuff.

Robert,

I 100% agree with you on this post. If it makes your Kenpo better, why wouldn't you want to practice the extensions? Good post!

:asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Michael Billings said:
Moderator Note:

Threats will not be tolerated.

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-Michael Billings
-MT Moderator-
No they will not.
Suspension Issued.
Seig
MT Admin

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:

So what you're saying is Frank didn't actually promote you did he, we just assumed by your statements it was him when it wasn't, he was just there teaching a seminar?

What are you gonna do if you find out who MJS is anyway?

Were you born in Africa as well, I know people from South Africa (born there), but they're white, does that not make them African American?

Amazing what a bit of semantics will lead people to believe.

Dark Lord

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
There were originally 32 extentions taught. And my sources say that Mr. Parker did'nt even make all of them up.

Like I said Before...Extention's can be fun to learn and you can learn a few different new ways to move, Etc, Etc. But It comes down to this. You've got to put up or shut up. The Extentions may make you a little bit well rounded as a Kenpo Practitioner. This may be true. But I do not believe they will make you a better fighter on the street.

BlackPhoenix-
These original 32 extensions, in my opinion, would be just like learning 32 new techniques. If you don't like them, don't do them. THAT's what it really "Comes down to". For that matter, if you don't like the techniques taught at Green Belt, don't do them. What's the difference?

I agree wholeheartedly with your point that each practitioner MUST work diligently to improve/evolve their execution of the fundamentals first... but I think that this is implicit in the systems we study. I know that in the style I study (AKKI Kenpo) you don't get from point A to point Z without going through the other 24 points in order and gaining what each point has to teach you FIRST. The belts should be a progressive ladder of achievement. SO by this rationale, once a person gets to the level at which they would begin to come into contact with the extentions...they SHOULD have already done their hard work on basics on up through the advanced material.

I should make a note: in the AKKI we do not make use of any 'extentions', though I know some... There's a reason behind this, but you'd have to ask someone much higher in the association to ask it... Believe me, I'm the least of my AKKI brothers. But I don't disagree with the use/study of extentions... it's just not the only way to get the job done I don't think.)
Extentions being "Fun" may be true, but it's beside the point. Does it matter if Mr. Parker or one of his more trusted/respected/loyal students did???? I personally don't think so. I hope you don't think that something got into the Kenpo required curriculum without Mr. Parker's sincere stamp of aproval. I'd think that that'd be good enough for me.
you can learn a few different new ways to move
I'd think that THAT is exactly the point. Beyond the first couple of belts, it's ALL "New ways to move", new vocabulary and the lessons they can teach you. In my mind, you are arguing against further vocabulary. As long as this further vocabulary doesn't violate...but reinforces...the Kenpo principles; it's all good.
The Extentions may make you a little bit well rounded as a Kenpo Practitioner. This may be true. But I do not believe they will make you a better fighter on the street.
OK... coming from a person who seems to feel that Kenpo is a good art, this statement doesn't really make sense.
You don't think that becoming a better or "More well rounded..Kenpo practitioner" will help make you a better fighter on the street?????? :shrug:
Then why are you studying Kenpo and taking it's lessons seriously.
From day one as a white belt on all we do is gradually become a more and more well rounded practitioner...one step, form, set, technique at a time.
What did you mean by this statement??? Maybe you could reword it??? :idunno:
Your Brother
John

jaybacca72

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
some times black phoenix gets to emotional about certain things and yes he does have control issues at times but he is definitely not a liar. frank was at his school for a seminar and the following day we had a grading,frank promoted me to 4th and promoted black phoenix to 2nd on my recommendation. as i said before i myself train all the areas in kenpo but don't force others to because most don't stay around long enough to truly get the whole picture because of life getting inthe way not the quality of training recieved. kenpo was an experiment for parker and his students were his guinea pigs.
later
jay
ps dlk i would say it to your face if you were in front of me if i thought you were being an ***.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jaybacca72 said:
some times black phoenix gets to emotional about certain things and yes he does have control issues at times but he is definitely not a liar. frank was at his school for a seminar and the following day we had a grading,frank promoted me to 4th and promoted black phoenix to 2nd on my recommendation. as i said before i myself train all the areas in kenpo but don't force others to because most don't stay around long enough to truly get the whole picture because of life getting inthe way not the quality of training recieved. kenpo was an experiment for parker and his students were his guinea pigs.
later
jay
ps dlk i would say it to your face if you were in front of me if i thought you were being an ***.

Is this necessary??????

so,i gave blackphoenix his black and 2nd black and i am no 1st gen black under mr.parker.

So which is it!!!!! :idunno:

i think you people misunderstood what he is doing,balckphoenix is just fishing for info

Could have fooled me!!!!

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
jaybacca72 said:
later
jay

You know, with this kind of attitude about non committment in people, why bother teaching at all? If Black Phoenix has hostility issues, he shouldn't be in any position in which he may exploit others to that end, nuff said.

Dark Lord

jaybacca72

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
that is exactly why i have not taught in 8 months by my choice,too many people saying they are doing more than they actually are. as far as black phoenix goes he is his own person with his own students,i take no responsibilty for what he does or says but he is my friend and i will stick up for him when i feel it to be necessary. i think i will just read posts for now and when some good conversation comes along maybe i will post.
later
jay

:partyon:

OP
B

Bruce Banner

hi mr black phoenix. how are you? i am fine. i just want to say that the extentions are really neat and i will learn them some day. i am learning my kenpo karate through the mail and i am going to be a karate man one day. i think that a good karate man should know as much about his karate is all i am saying. i am learning delayed sword and but it is tougher than wehn my mom made me learn piano. no offence if you play piano and all but i could not stick with it but i will stick with kenpo so when i get to the extentions i will learn them is all i am saying.

your friend
Bruce