Extentions

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
I'm only here to learn as many ideas as I can and have good intellectual conversation with fellow brother and sister Martial Artists and Fighters.

Sorry if I made any one feel uncomfortable.
Doesn't sound like you're here to learn something, it sounds as if you're here to tell us something about how we're not training properly doing all those worthless sets, forms, and extensions.

Dark Lord

OP
B

BlackPhoenix

Where the hell did you get that idea. I don't care how any of you train...That's your own business. At first if you remember I started out about my own idea of extentions ( whatever ) and ask other opinions. Then I get attacked for it. It's to bad that you have to take it to heart that I have some of my own beliefs or outlooks on Kenpo. Your making a bigger deal out of it than you have too.

PS...I didn't say **** about the forms either !!!

Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Doesn't sound like you're here to learn something, it sounds as if you're here to tell us something about how we're not training properly doing all those worthless sets, forms, and extensions.

Dark Lord

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Well, I tried saying this politely. Now, let thine own words confound thee, form thy firstest postest onest thiest threadest:

"I see the EXTENTIONS taught in Kenpo as system filler or busy work. Let's face it...I always believed that if you can't down an opponent by the time you've reached a profecient level even around let's say Green Belt or even less than that...Purple Belt. You should'nt be waring any rank. EXTENTIONS are for people who can't think for themselves under pressure. If you understand and know the system you can come up with your own stuff. It does not take a rocket scientist to know to just keep on hitting/striking your opponent again or keep attacking your opponent if he or she does'nt go down or stay down. But..."

Why hell, no suggestion there that others are ignorant.

So, back at ya, the intelligent statement in this quote: "But...."

Worster still, you've got pieces of the truths, and you fantasize that they are all that there is. Not so bad, I too have pieces of the truths--but I don't believe that they are the sum total of reality, good for me.

It's OK. Like a lot of people, you simply don't understand why you're training. Are you looking in the mirror sufficiently?

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
Where the hell did you get that idea. I don't care how any of you train...That's your own business. At first if you remember I started out about my own idea of extentions ( whatever ) and ask other opinions. Then I get attacked for it. It's to bad that you have to take it to heart that I have some of my own beliefs or outlooks on Kenpo. Your making a bigger deal out of it than you have too.

I realise that I am very new on this forum. But I have to get this of of my chest. I think that this guy "Dark Kenpo Lord" is really caught up in his own hype. No body can talk to this guy about anything. I wonder how he fends in the real world. Dose'nt he have the brains enough to think that mabey some people ask the questions just so other people can learn from them. A person like "Dark Kenpo Lord" only intimidates lower ranking or begining practitioners from asking anything. If someone asks a question just answer it. That's simple enough. We should all try to learn from each other

In your own words, you seem concerned how others are being taught or trained by asking questions so that others may learn from them. I didn't see anyone asking the question but you, and you've already formed your beliefs about why and how, so why is it a concern to ask the question, unless there's an ulterior motive. Be well Black Phoenix, enhance your calm. Why am I even taking up real estate in your head to make posts about me?

Dark Lord

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
I want to know the secret techniques that Kumu-Palani taught him, but that would involve a couple pitchers of beer and a guitar. Frank says he would've show'd me, but I can't play the guitar worth beans!

:cheers: :idunno:

Seems to me that there are lots of "secrets" :boing2:

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
How are you doing...

I started training in Mr.Parker's American Kenpo when I started Kanzen Kenpo in 1990. My Rank Is'nt that important. But it's 2nd Degree. Recieved from Kumu Palani in 1999. I've also trained in Tracy's Kenpo, Kanzen Kenpo, Shotokan, Shuri-Te, Ju-Jitsu, Aikido, Boxing & Wrestling. I started combative forms of training/martial arts around 1980.

To some degree my best teacher though was the streets. There's no substitute for experience and applied knowledge.

With all respect...I did not have any intention of telling anyone my rank or level of expertise because I'm not here for avy level of braging rights about rank. I'm only here to learn as many ideas as I can and have good intellectual conversation with fellow brother and sister Martial Artists and Fighters.

Sorry if I made any one feel uncomfortable.

Dude, it has nothing to do with bragging. What it has to do with is the way you came off to people....A huge mystery about your time in, rank, dislike for things in the system, etc. But you make it sound in your posts that you have this overwhelming experience. I cant speak for anyone else, but I was curious about your training. And I can see that some others appeared to be curious as well.

Thank you for the reply.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
You still don't understand what I'm trying to say...Do you?

Well thats too bad that you dont see the importance of the extenSions!

Mike
[/QUOTE]

One thing I know, is that I dont understand the meaning behind this post??????????

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:

Where did we get that idea?? Hmmm...do you really want me to go back and tell ya???

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:

BTW. I'll tell you what 'HUK' told me when I asked him about these two sets at a seminar about a year ago. "THERE IS NO CO-ORDINATION SETS 1 & 2 !!!" . He said it was busy work and filler and not only to me, but to a few of us Black Belts. I will only learn from 1st generation students of Mr. Parker. But like I said before brother..."I LOVE KENPO!!!"

Opps...Sorry but...Wrong!!!

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
BTW. I'll tell you what 'HUK' told me when I asked him about these two sets at a seminar about a year ago. "THERE IS NO CO-ORDINATION SETS 1 & 2 !!!" . He said it was busy work and filler and not only to me, but to a few of us Black Belts. I will only learn from 1st generation students of Mr. Parker. But like I said before brother..."I LOVE KENPO!!!"

With all respect...I did not have any intention of telling anyone my rank or level of expertise because I'm not here for avy level of braging rights about rank. I'm only here to learn as many ideas as I can and have good intellectual conversation with fellow brother and sister Martial Artists and Fighters.

Now those 2 statements are probably 2 of the most contradicting ones that I've seen you say so far. In one breath you say you only want to learn from 1st gen. students of Parker, but in the second quote you say that you want to learn as many ideas from your fellow martial artists???

Again...Hmmm...makes one wonder.

Mike

OP
B

BlackPhoenix

No matter how much individuals know. You can still learn thing from everyone. There is no contradiction here. The American Kenpo ciriculum that I've learned from any senior instructor is what I teach to my students. But there are still alot of students of the art in Kenpo who will one day evolve the art. So therefore I choose to keep an open mind and respect others beliefs at the same time in keeping my own. Hell...I learn from my students.

MJS said:
Now those 2 statements are probably 2 of the most contradicting ones that I've seen you say so far. In one breath you say you only want to learn from 1st gen. students of Parker, but in the second quote you say that you want to learn as many ideas from your fellow martial artists???

Again...Hmmm...makes one wonder.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
No matter how much individuals know. You can still learn thing from everyone. There is no contradiction here. The American Kenpo ciriculum that I've learned from any senior instructor is what I teach to my students. But there are still alot of students of the art in Kenpo who will one day evolve the art. So therefore I choose to keep an open mind and respect others beliefs at the same time in keeping my own. Hell...I learn from my students.

Well, you sure did seem to make it clear that you only wanted to learn from certain people, but hey, whatever make ya happy I guess. And the slam on DKL.....well, you talk about people having an ego.....I think you should check YOUR ego!!!!

Mike

jaybacca72

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
personally i do the extensions and feel they made me a more rounded kenpo person,but i don't make my students learn them. after awhile people start to get lazy in thier kenpo training and that seems to be around the time the extensions are introduced in general not all kenpo people. it was also a marketing idea to keep people training in the art,not all people are leaders and many like to be shown stuff and not i have to put alot of thought into it.
and as for blackpheonix he probably understands kenpo better than the majority of the kenpo people on this board and has had access to information that many kenpo people would envy. he is sometimes a wild horse,but a great kenpo player who can apply what he knows but learning from only 1st gen blacks well that is not so,i gave blackphoenix his black and 2nd black and i am no 1st gen black under mr.parker. i think you people misunderstood what he is doing,balckphoenix is just fishing for info and dark lord of kenpo well you buddy are just an ***.

much later
jaybacca :partyon:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jaybacca72 said:
and as for blackpheonix he probably understands kenpo better than the majority of the kenpo people on this board and has had access to information that many kenpo people would envy. he is sometimes a wild horse,but a great kenpo player who can apply what he knows but learning from only 1st gen blacks well that is not so,i gave blackphoenix his black and 2nd black and i am no 1st gen black under mr.parker. i think you people misunderstood what he is doing,balckphoenix is just fishing for info and dark lord of kenpo well you buddy are just an ***.

Dude, I really hope that you're not serious with this post???? Just fishing for info??? Come on man, go back and re-read his posts. He comes off like hes the king of all Kenpoists and that his knowledge surpasses everyone else. As for DKL...I dont think that was called for at all!!! Maybe you should speak for yourself!!!

Mike

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Perhaps it might be better to simply get on these forums, state who you are in your own name rather than an alias, explain what you think is true, ask the questions you really want to ask, and avoid presenting truisms and generalities as Deep Thoughts, rather than assuming a position of automatically-superior knowledge and trying to trick the poor, benighted masses into some recognition.

That way, everybody with a functioning brain would know what axe everybody else is grinding, and we could debate/discuss the issues, rather than spiraling around and around and around in these endless combinations of silly personal attacks and tiresome, "I never said what I said," assertions.

For example, I believe that the sets, forms, extensions are of immense value, and I think it is fundamentally a mistake to edit them out of, "the kenpo system," whatever you happen to think that system is and however you think it got put together.

(Another essay-question issue to debate, sometime: Mr. Parker as genius editor, rather than "author," in the usual sense; read Michel Foucault, "What Is an Author?" research best-available facts about who wrote which parts of kenpo system. Examine ways these "individual," aspects were written into aa complete system. Discuss.)

I also think that there is an extraordinary contradiction, one worth examining, between saying that one works the extensions to become a better-rounded kenpo guy, but one does not teach them to students.

I think such a statement indicates something that I've previously described as, "Burning bridges that your students need to cross."

There it is. Ya says what ya thinks, ya tries to explain why ya thinks it, ya don't pretend to be innocently inquiring. It's plain, it's fair, it might just start a real discussion, and above all--it's simpler than all the tricksy stuff.

OP
B

BlackPhoenix

Sorry guys..what I meant was that in the past few years I have not had alot of opportunity to train with my personal instructor "JAYBACCA". So I have had to leave the nest so to speak temporyly and seek out my info from 1st generation people/Instructors.

P.S. You should all try Zac Whitson's Kenpo Counterpoint training tapes or seminars. Totally awsome stuff and info.

jaybacca72 said:
personally i do the extensions and feel they made me a more rounded kenpo person,but i don't make my students learn them. after awhile people start to get lazy in thier kenpo training and that seems to be around the time the extensions are introduced in general not all kenpo people. it was also a marketing idea to keep people training in the art,not all people are leaders and many like to be shown stuff and not i have to put alot of thought into it.

much later

OP
M

MisterMike

jaybacca72 said:
........ i think you people misunderstood what he is doing,balckphoenix is just fishing for info and dark lord of kenpo well you buddy are just an ***.

much later

I know a lot of Kenpo people who are quite "rounded." --Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I don't think the extensions were a marketing idea though. Perhaps naming them "Extensions" was, but the content makes the system what it is. I'd say the marketing kicked in when they went from 4 belts(32 system) to 8(16/24 system) so customers would have more frequent tests/rank promotions.

Of couse I may be wrong and it was much earlier than that...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
I'd bet money you wouldn't say that to my face.

Dark Lord

I'd bet money on that too!!

Mike

Latest Discussions