Ever wonder why a group of cows align themselves with one another?

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe this question hasn't plagued you since the age of 5 like it has me. But I've always wondered why a herd of cows will face the same direction. Horses often do, too. I can't say I've ever seen cats or chickens do so.

Apparently, cows have a magnetic compass. They align themselves with the earth's north-south magnetic poles.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080826/ts_afp/usscienceanimal;_ylt=AoJqNBQE5LrumIVwHJklYRCGOrgF

Now, aren't you smarter than before?

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heard this on the radio this morning...I think it is kinda cool. I also believe there are many similar things in nature that we are just now learning.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Heard this on the radio this morning...I think it is kinda cool. I also believe there are many similar things in nature that we are just now learning.
It really is interesting. I'd like to know how dogs find their way home when they have been stranded/lost miles away.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been driving past cattle pastures to get to class for years and have also noticed they will gather when a storm is on the way. Sometimes in a particular corner of the pasture, sometimes in other places. It's fascinating.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think I could've lived the rest of my life not realizing that I didn't know this ... and died a happy man.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now I have to wonder about the cows who do not face the same direction as the rest of the herd. Is that because they are rebels, revolutionaries, or just let their nose lead them to another grassy patch?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now I have to wonder about the cows who do not face the same direction as the rest of the herd. Is that because they are rebels, revolutionaries, or just let their nose lead them to another grassy patch?
Probably it's because they ate a small piece of broken barbed wire that screwed up their magnetic properties. :idunno:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought it was for better cell phone reception? :idunno:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really is interesting. I'd like to know how dogs find their way home when they have been stranded/lost miles away.

I find it really interesting too and I've always wondered about the dogs who travel ungodly miles to find their lost families.

See, this is why I eat beef. These things are creepy and can't be trusted.

:lfao:

Ummmm....those are the *slow* cows. :D

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
I always thought they just turned their bums to the wind to keep warm!!

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So, if I dunk my Oreo cookie in a glass of milk from a magnetic cow, will it rotate clockwise or counterclockwise?

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, if I dunk my Oreo cookie in a glass of milk from a magnetic cow, will it rotate clockwise or counterclockwise?
If it's raw unpastuerized milk, the oreo cookie will rotate clockwise. If you are using processed, homogenzied, pasteurized milk, the cookie will sink. :D

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been driving past cattle pastures to get to class for years and have also noticed they will gather when a storm is on the way. Sometimes in a particular corner of the pasture, sometimes in other places. It's fascinating.

I saw this the other day as a rain storm approached the cows all turned to face away from it. Very interesting.
icon6.gif

Latest Discussions