9-year-old boy told he's too good to pitch

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.
The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.
"Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3553475

umm... wow...

Disbanding a team and banning a kid from pitching because he is "too good." Another team walking off and forfeiting because they think they will lose (way to teach sportsmanship coach)

KenpoGirl75

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When my daughter played tee-ball years ago, there was a 5 yr old on her team that could not only throw balls extremely well, but could pitch from the mound, and hit a pitched ball well into the outfield. His father was a pro ball player from Puerto Rico and had been working with his son since a very young age. Yes, the little boy was a danger to the other players (of which most of them could strike themselves out from the tee...lol), but rather than "punishing" him due to his skill level, they simply moved him up to the 6-8 yr old division.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
We must consider the self esteem of the other children....we can't have them feeling inadequate now can we?

....somebody just shoot me...please.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is what is wrong in Athletics today, we have to be able to let stars shine at any level. For those that believe everyone should win get out of sports, here there are winners and losers. Get a like and let the chips lie as they may.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is what is wrong in Athletics today, we have to be able to let stars shine at any level. For those that believe everyone should win get out of sports, here there are winners and losers. Get a like and let the chips lie as they may.

I agree and disagree....

If the league is a local, fun league, he should be pushed to be with kids that will help make him better. So if there are other options, maybe he should pursue them.

But at the same time, kids need to realize sometimes people are in fact better than you at something. Deal with it. You can still have fun.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the league is a local, fun league, he should be pushed to be with kids that will help make him better. So if there are other options, maybe he should pursue them.

Should he be? Or should be be allowed to play with his friends and class mates from school?

I would agree that he should have the option, but it should definitely not be forced. At that age a couple years makes a big difference, if he would prefer to play with kids his own age (it is a "fun" league) then that is where he should get to play.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can see allowing the boy to play in the next age bracket up so he can improve his skills and be more competitive, but I don't think he should be FORCED to do so.

I get sick of the "I'm ok, and your ok" philosophy that many have and punish kids for shining brighter than those around them. They should be encouraged more. Kids, also need to know that it's ok to be "Average" in life. Not everyone is a genius and not everyone is a pro athlete.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can see allowing the boy to play in the next age bracket up so he can improve his skills and be more competitive, but I don't think he should be FORCED to do so.

I get sick of the "I'm ok, and your ok" philosophy that many have and punish kids for shining brighter than those around them. They should be encouraged more. Kids, also need to know that it's ok to be "Average" in life. Not everyone is a genius and not everyone is a pro athlete.

This really is a no brainer in that the child should play in an age group above so that he will have competition suitable to his skill level. If he is so good that other teams are willing to forfeit a game then clearly he needs to be challenged at a level that will at least allow him to succeed and yet improve his skills. Clearly in this league his skill set is not being challenged.
icon6.gif

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We must consider the self esteem of the other children....we can't have them feeling inadequate now can we?

....somebody just shoot me...please.

As I think back to my childhood, I think a forfeit would have me feeling more inadequate than failing the challenge of hitting the best pitcher in the league.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I think back to my childhood, I think a forfeit would have me feeling more inadequate than failing the challenge of hitting the best pitcher in the league.
Same here. Forfeiting a game as a kid would have humiliated me and had every one on the team getting picked on for being "quitters" and anything else a group of 8 year olds could have thought up. Losing isn't nearly as traumatic to children as many would have us believe. If losing were, indeed, so traumatic as to cause permanent damage why do parents allow their children to play video games? How many times will a child fail a level of a video game only to hit the reset/retry button and move on through the game?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This really is a no brainer in that the child should play in an age group above so that he will have competition suitable to his skill level. If he is so good that other teams are willing to forfeit a game then clearly he needs to be challenged at a level that will at least allow him to succeed and yet improve his skills. Clearly in this league his skill set is not being challenged.
icon6.gif
I agree. I don't know how much better his pitch is than the other kids -- but if it's so much of a difference that other teams refuse to play when he's pitching (and not because they refuse to countenance breaking a rule, no matter how silly the rule is)... then he needs to play at a level that's appropriate to his skill. He's got the other 75% or so of the week, if not more, to hang out with his buddies in his own age group.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm flabbergasted to be honest. Come on America, what on earth is up with you?

Get a grip on the 'bulldoze flat the playing field' approach. It's not flat and never will be.

I'm somewhat flummoxed at the difference between the way the society is structured (Devil take the hindmost) and this overly wrapped-in-cotton-wool development in Rounders {which is a girls game by the way :snickers-and-runs}; it does noone any favours.

I was rubbish at a great many sports in my younger years. Football - hopeless. Rugby - too small. However, there were others where I was better than average. If Cross-country running, javelin throwing (bet they don't do that anymore :D!) or bowling at Cricket was on the cards then I was suddenly not the last to be picked.

Kids have different talents. Baseball is not the only game there is but if a kid is good, then don't punish him for being good any more than you would ridicule a kid for being bad at something. The team that packed up and left in the OP deserve to be thoroughly ashamed; not the kids, the ones who made the call.

EDIT: For crying out loud, Profanity Filter, "s n i g g e r s" is not a profane term! It means to laugh in a certain, teasing, way and has zero to do with African Americans :grr:. I replaced it with 'snickers', which is the noise a horse makes doing the same thing ...

Last edited:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many years ago, Kurt Vonnegut penned a story, "Harrison Bergeron", about a society which ruthlessly mandated a crippling form of 'equality'.... to be enforced by the Handicapper General. Well, maybe we are becoming that...

Maybe we will soon see the personal improvement seminar industry stood on its head, and instead we will see Devolution Seminars offered.... yes, a weekend with us and you will suck at everything, thereby fitting in and becoming more popular and acceptable.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Today's kids are getting bigger...stronger...and yet rules are made to NOT allow these kids to play for safety reasons for the smaller kids that wants to play.

Size does matter...speed matters here too! Is this a good rule? or a bad rule?

We will always face someone who is very Large...over grown kids?

Will these kids be band from most sports that involves smaller kids? ....Off course? is this right? ....always will be a debate because each one kid situtions could be very different.

Aloha ( NO two kids will have the same size and problems and must be determine one by one?)

Latest Discussions