Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Let me know what ya think ? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Native

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's for lookin' good!

This has always been my favorite weapon to practice with. I'm not nearly as acrobatic with it as you are, but it's still a lot of fun. Nice tricks.

OP
T

thexxx1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Very decorative. What's it for?
Basically if i can keep control of the weapon when its not in my hand. i can keep control of the weapon when it is in my hand. i know where my weapon is going and what its doing no matter what's happening around it.

As well as it looks cool :p

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's for lookin' good!

This has always been my favorite weapon to practice with. I'm not nearly as acrobatic with it as you are, but it's still a lot of fun. Nice tricks.

It does look good, and I don't mean any disrespect. We don't use nunchaku in our tradition, only the bo, sai, and tonfa. But I have been shown how nunchaku work, and it doesn't involve twirling them.

However, as style, it's the shizz, no doubt. And I've been to many tournaments where 'freestyle' or 'creative' weapons katas with music and so on are much appreciated.

I wonder what good it would be in a self-defense situation, presuming that one happened to have two sets of nunchaku on hand when needed?

Anyway, it's definitely fun to watch.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Basically if i can keep control of the weapon when its not in my hand. i can keep control of the weapon when it is in my hand.

Well, not to be disagreeable, but technically when a weapon is out of your hand, it's out of your control. I get what you mean, and I think I follow your logic, but I wonder if someone with, say, a bo, wouldn't just snatch those things out of the air while you're throwing them in the air.

OP
T

thexxx1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, not to be disagreeable, but technically when a weapon is out of your hand, it's out of your control. I get what you mean, and I think I follow your logic, but I wonder if someone with, say, a bo, wouldn't just snatch those things out of the air while you're throwing them in the air.
In a real situation they wouldn't leave my hand haha. The practice i do, i get as much controlled motion out of it as possible when i use them. This just leads to better control with the more simple, useful, moves when i actually need them. The freestyle aspect gives me a better reaction time that using a set kata like traditional. Because i'm making it up as i go along, which is wat would happen in a real fight.

Just like if i can do a jump kick successfully, (For the most part) I can do the grounded kick much easier. The higher level nunchaku strikes i can do, the easier the low level strikes are to accomplish.

Native

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Reminds me of XMA weapon performances. Not really intended for self defense, but requires a great deal of skill and I admire it on that front. I'm sure there has been a lot of "discussion" on the merits of XMA acrobatic skill and it's application to SD on this forum. At the very least I think you have great control of the weapon, so that would help in a SD situation. But I can't imagine those techniques being very helpful.

OP
T

thexxx1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Reminds me of XMA weapon performances. Not really intended for self defense, but requires a great deal of skill and I admire it on that front. I'm sure there has been a lot of "discussion" on the merits of XMA acrobatic skill and it's application to SD on this forum. At the very least I think you have great control of the weapon, so that would help in a SD situation. But I can't imagine those techniques being very helpful.
I was an XMA state champion for Ohio, so yes there are big XMA influences in my style. And also you're right. these moves themselves have no value in a fight. but the skill it takes to do them, carrys over into all my other moves as well

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In a real situation they wouldn't leave my hand haha. The practice i do, i get as much controlled motion out of it as possible when i use them. This just leads to better control with the more simple, useful, moves when i actually need them. The freestyle aspect gives me a better reaction time that using a set kata like traditional. Because i'm making it up as i go along, which is wat would happen in a real fight.

Just like if i can do a jump kick successfully, (For the most part) I can do the grounded kick much easier. The higher level nunchaku strikes i can do, the easier the low level strikes are to accomplish.

OK, that makes sense. From what I've seen, nunchaku are less striking weapons than they are trapping weapons (ie, used to entangle weapons, hands and feet and then throw, break, or otherwise disable them), but I know that striking has become the 'modern' way that nunchaku are presumed to be used.

And I have no doubt that using them the way you do would increase hand-eye coordination considerably.

OP
T

thexxx1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK, that makes sense. From what I've seen, nunchaku are less striking weapons than they are trapping weapons (ie, used to entangle weapons, hands and feet and then throw, break, or otherwise disable them), but I know that striking has become the 'modern' way that nunchaku are presumed to be used.

And I have no doubt that using them the way you do would increase hand-eye coordination considerably.

Well in a way yes. you can wrap them around hands, feet, other weapons, etc. But with a heavy enough pair of nunchaku the more reasonable, fast approach would be to strike with it rather than waste time tangling someone up with the weapon. All a matter of the situation i suppose though.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well in a way yes. you can wrap them around hands, feet, other weapons, etc. But with a heavy enough pair of nunchaku the more reasonable, fast approach would be to strike with it rather than waste time tangling someone up with the weapon. All a matter of the situation i suppose though.

I can only compare it to some comments I've read about a weapon I do know something about, the sai. I've actually heard people comment about how a particular brand is not sharp at the end (it's not supposed to be sharp) and how it's not balanced for throwing (you don't throw it). The sai is for smashing, trapping, blocking, and punching; it can be used to stab, but it does not need to be sharp to do that. I have been informed that the 'real' traditional use of the nunchaku was similar; one used it to block, trap, and punch with; but not as a striking flail weapon. However, I'm no expert on nunchaku. All I can apply it to is what I know and how easily I could take those away from you with a bo or sai. Granted I would not like being hit by them. :) Anyway, carry on; there's no doubt you possess skill at what you're doing.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was an XMA state champion for Ohio, so yes there are big XMA influences in my style. And also you're right. these moves themselves have no value in a fight. but the skill it takes to do them, carrys over into all my other moves as well

I do have to give you credit where credit is due.

You certainly have very good hand-eye coordination, and a good sense of timing, otherwise such performances wouldn't be possible. Furthermore, you seem to have a level head on your shoulders, in that you acknowledge that these are for show, and not for combat. Certainly, the coordination that you developed while doing this kind of practice can help you with your other areas of training.

As long as you keep a reasonable perspective on freestyle nunchaku performances, then more power to you.

While I do train in kobudo, I do not train in the use of the nunchaku, simply because they don't mesh well with my philosophy.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The freestyle aspect gives me a better reaction time that using a set kata like traditional. Because i'm making it up as i go along, which is wat would happen in a real fight.

I'd be curious to know what is the base of your training with nunchaku? Have you trained the weapon in the traditional fighting techniques? Do you understand it on that level? Have you built your nunchaku tricking on top of a thorough knowledge of the traditional and practial use of the weapon?

The reason I ask is because, if not, then your comment above does not hold water. If all you know how to do is "make it up as you go along", then the weapon is only a stage prop and you only know showmanship. You don't understand the real techniques and methods that make the weapon useful.

If, however, you have a thorough understand of the proper way to use the nunchaku as a weapon, then whatever tricking you do on top of that may hold water, with regard to your above comment.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only compare it to some comments I've read about a weapon I do know something about, the sai. I've actually heard people comment about how a particular brand is not sharp at the end (it's not supposed to be sharp) and how it's not balanced for throwing (you don't throw it). The sai is for smashing, trapping, blocking, and punching; it can be used to stab, but it does not need to be sharp to do that. I have been informed that the 'real' traditional use of the nunchaku was similar; one used it to block, trap, and punch with; but not as a striking flail weapon. However, I'm no expert on nunchaku. All I can apply it to is what I know and how easily I could take those away from you with a bo or sai. Granted I would not like being hit by them. :) Anyway, carry on; there's no doubt you possess skill at what you're doing.

Our instructor teaches nunchaku and sai in exactly the way you describe it, blocking, trapping etc. We don't do the fancy stuff, it's good but of no value to us I'm afraid other than to admire the skill.

OP
T

thexxx1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know what is the base of your training with nunchaku? Have you trained the weapon in the traditional fighting techniques? Do you understand it on that level? Have you built your nunchaku tricking on top of a thorough knowledge of the traditional and practial use of the weapon?

The reason I ask is because, if not, then your comment above does not hold water. If all you know how to do is "make it up as you go along", then the weapon is only a stage prop and you only know showmanship. You don't understand the real techniques and methods that make the weapon useful.

If, however, you have a thorough understand of the proper way to use the nunchaku as a weapon, then whatever tricking you do on top of that may hold water, with regard to your above comment.

i trained in nunchaku-do which is "the art of nunchaku". traditional fighting techniques. chokes. and all of that. i also take TaeKwonDo, and we learn traditional movements in that. Every freestyle move i do is based off of traditional movements.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is kind of what I think of when I think of nunchaku; but then, I study an Okinawan style, so I guess I'm more 'into' that. However, no disrespect of the OP; everyone just has different tastes.

[video=youtube_share;RY3Lmst2R_Q]http://youtu.be/RY3Lmst2R_Q[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions