Escape from Side Top Hold?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MJS said:
The new thread has been started!!

Mike
Thank you for starting that new thread. I've gone over there with some suggestions.

- Ceicei

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Thank you for starting that new thread. I've gone over there with some suggestions.

- Ceicei

You're welcome! :asian: I think that its great that both Mr. Tatum and Mr. Ryer take the time to put up those tips. I also feel the same about the grappling clips! If someone has the knowledge and time and are willing to do this, then IMO, its a huge benefit to everyone!

Mike

grappling_mandala

Green Belt
Reaction score
On escaping the head and arm with the roll, the initial bridge (lifting of the hips and arcing of the torso) is very important, your arms should have the top players torso wrapped securely and you should try to plant your hands above your head with the bridge. This will put the weight of the top player ABOVE your head, and off your chest. This is the point in which you should roll, once the weight of the top player is bridged above you.

If the roll is not successful, before your butt touches the mat, release your grip and pull your bottom arm out turning to your side like in the video. Classic bi-directional escape. A third direction if your arms are secured tight by the top player is to frame against their chin to create space, look to hook their head with your leg... a classic escape, works a lot on novice grapplers, more experienced people you get armbared when you frame.

You should be bridging or shrimping your hips as you continue to try and get your bottom elbow free, or roll the top player.

Also if you can get your hips turned but can't get your bottom elbow out take your top leg and hook it over their hip, this way you are on your way to their back, and you gain additional leverage thru the use of your leg/hips to get your elbow free.

All this talk about getting the elbow free is because the elbow is essential for them to control if they want to hold you down in the classic head/arm position. If they only have your head you will get their back every single time.

my .03 cents.

Dave Copeland SBGi - Beaverton

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks andrew for the video clip...............it was great. Im a visual learner, and even thought the posts are helpful.........for a beginner reading these it is very hard to try and visualise the techniques being described!!!

A

Aaron Little

Raisin,

I made that as an answer to Sarah’s question. There is a thread called grappling clips that is in reference to my creating some technique of the week video clips. Check it out and post there if you have any suggestions.

Latest Discussions