Enter the Vegetable

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I was eating my cold noodle dish, I believe my my wife was eating Neng Myon, however it had a different name, it was in Chinese. But she was telling me it was Korean Cold Noodles and it is almost exactly the same as you described, with the meat, just no ice.

That is interesting, since I am pretty sure 'neng' is derived from one of the Chinese dialects for cold. Myon or a dirivative is all over the far east meaning noodles, as in Ra Men or Ra Myon.

EDIT: I got to thinking, often in Korean, they combine a Korean word with a Chinese word. Myon being pretty certainly of Chinese origin, neng must be Korean. It is also used for refrigerator, a refrigerator being a neng jang go.

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That is interesting, since I am pretty sure 'neng' is derived from one of the Chinese dialects for cold. Myon or a dirivative is all over the far east meaning noodles, as in Ra Men or Ra Myon.

May have been written out in English as Neng Myon, I don't know, she read the Chinese and she is a native Mandarin speaker, I shall have to ask her what it is called when I get the chance and tell you how she pronounces it in Mandarin

And noodle to her is not "men" it is miàntiáo and Korea is hánguó so there may be a dialect difference, I shall check

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
May have been written out in English as Neng Myon, I don't know, she read the Chinese and she is a native Mandarin speaker, I shall have to ask her what it is called when I get the chance and tell you how she pronounces it in Mandarin

And noodle to her is not "men" it is miàntiáo and Korea is hánguó so there may be a dialect difference, I shall check

Interesting again. The Koreans name for themselves is 'han gook.' The Vietnamese name for Koreans is (nguoi) dai han. 'Nguoi' used that way is a classifier for people.

'Men' is the word the Japanese use for noodles as in the grocery store la men noodles.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Actually Mandarin for a Korean person is hánguóren

Now this is a guess based on trusting a google search, but I think Korean, meaning Korean person, in Cantonese is Hon Gwok Yan

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I mentioned it to my wife her first reaction was surprise. Thinking for a few moments, she allowed as how SHE would like to try it. We've been married 37 years and it turns out I never knew her. Kind of sad when you think on it. ;-)
Sound awesome, a brand new woman to court! ;)

Latest Discussions