England, land of surveillance cameras...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually it's not that, I've already tried to explain about the drunken culture we have here but I get accused of supporting the 'state' and of being a fascist when i try to explain so I'm not going to.

I was making a joke. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really don't know why you find it difficult after all you don't mistake Canadians or Mexicans for Americans do you?

LOL, But any given day you might get your bum spanked if you mistake a Scot for and English...or Welsh. Is Brit ok?

:)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know....I can easily tell a British gal from a Californian. Get her top off and tell her to smile. Unless shes a Page 3 model, in which case I'll have to talk to her.

I can do the same with the guys. Just ask them to get their kit off. Unless they spring to and let it all hang out, in which case they're either from California's Highway patrol or RAF. Then we gotta break out the pints and break that tie. Last one standings probably RAF.

:D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, But any given day you might get your bum spanked if you mistake a Scot for and English...or Welsh. Is Brit ok?

:)

Brit is ok!.

All that needs to be remembered is that the United Kingdom is made up of different countries, it's a union. The countries were independent and are now working their way to independence again. Great Britian is the name for the Geographical area, the UK is the political area. As North America is the geographical description of the area, while Canada and the USA are the political descriptions.

In certain areas of Great Britain there has always been a propensity to drink hard, Scotland and Ireland being the foremost of these. Recently and I don't really know why there has evolved a drinking culture among certian young people where getting bladdered, being sick, having sex on the street and fighting seem to be the epitome of a good night out. It's started during the Thatcher years, the greed is good time and self before anything else. It's not everywhere but is fairly widespread. It's a policing nightmare.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Brit is ok!.

All that needs to be remembered is that the United Kingdom is made up of different countries, it's a union. The countries were independent and are now working their way to independence again. Great Britian is the name for the Geographical area, the UK is the political area. As North America is the geographical description of the area, while Canada and the USA are the political descriptions.
you make it look easy!

In certain areas of Great Britain there has always been a propensity to drink hard, Scotland and Ireland being the foremost of these. Recently and I don't really know why there has evolved a drinking culture among certian young people where getting bladdered, being sick, having sex on the street and fighting seem to be the epitome of a good night out. It's started during the Thatcher years, the greed is good time and self before anything else. It's not everywhere but is fairly widespread. It's a policing nightmare.
tazer their naked behinds! :D Then again, that might make it more enjoyable....

:lol:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you make it look easy!

tazer their naked behinds! :D Then again, that might make it more enjoyable....

:lol:

or get a dog to bite them? Our dog handlers had their six monthly inspection yesterday, they have to do various things like chase down a 'baddie', indicate, all the usual stuff as well as 'bite' on too the 'baddies' arm. The two dog handlers on myshift were bating for each other, one of their dogs 'bite' correctly let go on command then nipped the bum of the one acting as 'baddie', so so funny as he couldn't sit down last night and all the jokes and puns were coming out. The dog doesn't get any black marks for this, it was just being cheeky..

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's an example, and sadly not one that I view as distorted or exaggerated. This kind of aim-for-oblivion drinking is the reason why I started martial arts, the reason why we need CCTV, and the reason why it's almost impossible to get a taxi or a police car to your out-of-town home on a friday night:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye the drink-yourself-comatose fashion so common these days amongst the young is a mystery. Where did it come from? In my youth the very last thing you wanted was to be visibly drunk - you'd never live it down amongst your mates for a start! I guess being poor had it's advantages too as we simply could not afford to get lashed when we were in our teens. When a can of weak lager cost half what you got in pocket money for a week then you didn't drink much.

Plus, I think that drinking in the pub was cheaper than getting cans from the offie (off-licence) too, so if you went out for a drink with your mates you would more likely got to the pub. Speaking from my own circumstances, because in said pubs there would be people who knew your dad, the incentive to behave well and not drink more than you could handle was inherent in the environment.

By the way Tez, is it my imagination or did pub landlords thirty years ago take their responsibilities more seriously when it came to not serving people to the point that they fell down drunk? Even when I was older and experienced a lock-in or two, the landlords would still on occasion 'turn off the tap' for those that got too much the worse for wear. Now it seems the night clubs just liquor 'em up and sling 'em into the street for the police to deal with.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gnarlie, I have to say that's actually fairly tame as well. Perhaps people can also see where the difficulty is that I was trying to explain on another thread about girls who don't know whether they've been raped or not, they aren't in a condition to make 'informed consent' but may have said yes anyway or they may have been taken advantage of. Literally no one knows. There's also the danger of being attacked, violence isn't confined to males, the women go at it too. This is where the police are on a night when you need them and yes why we need CCTV.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Brit is ok!.

Hey Tez,

Just to make sure I'm clear on the terminology, lemme run it by you: Britain, or Great Britain (is there a difference between the terms?) consists of all of England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Anyone who makes their home in one of those areas is "British". Am I right so far?

Then, the United Kingdom is a politicial union of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, while most of Ireland is an independent nation outside the UK. Correct?

Then within the UK, people are specifically English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish. Correct?

So one could be simultaneously British, English, and living in the UK, or British, Scottish, and living in the UK...etc. Have I got this right?

Thanks!

Oh, and the North America-United States-Canada-Mexico issue isn't really quite the right analogy. North America being simply the continent, and the other enties being independent nations/political entities that do not have a political unification like the UK. I think that's where people on this side of the pond get confused, that UK issue that we don't have anything similar to over here... unless you want to look at the US as a union of 50 separate political entities that are NOT working toward independence, in spite of what people like Rick Perry and Chuck Norris might be saying...:rofl:

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Tez,

Just to make sure I'm clear on the terminology, lemme run it by you: Britain, or Great Britain (is there a difference between the terms?) consists of all of England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Anyone who makes their home in one of those areas is "British". Am I right so far?

I think the Republic of Ireland might not care to be referred to as part of Great Britain, the United Kingdom, or anything else with the term 'British' or 'English' in it. Northern Ireland is part of the UK, not the Republic of Ireland. That's about all I know.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the Republic of Ireland might not care to be referred to as part of Great Britain, the United Kingdom, or anything else with the term 'British' or 'English' in it. Northern Ireland is part of the UK, not the Republic of Ireland. That's about all I know.

If I understand it correctly, Britain is the name of the islands. the British Isles are just those islands and do not denote a political entity. Kinda like saying "Central America". Lots of little nations down there in that region, but that particular term is not a political term. Just a regional designation.

Hoping Tez or Suk will clarify.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty good, FC. A few elaborations just to pin things down.

Great Britain means the main island that consists of England, Scotland and Wales i.e. a geographical term rather than a political one. Britain can be either a shorthand term for Great Britain geographically or can be a shorthand term synonymous with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland if it is used as a political term. There are also the difference between the British Isles and the British Islands to consider ... but we won't go into that one :D.

Oh all right! :) The British Islands is the United Kingdom plus the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. The British Isles are all those plus Eire.

Hope that helps :lol:.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty good, FC. A few elaborations just to pin things down.

Great Britain means the main island that consists of England, Scotland and Wales i.e. a geographical term rather than a political one. Britain can be either a shorthand term for Great Britain geographically or can be a shorthand term synonymous with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland if it is used as a political term. There are also the difference between the British Isles and the British Islands to consider ... but we won't go into that one :D.

Oh all right! :) The British Islands is the United Kingdom plus the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. The British Isles are all those plus Eire.

Hope that helps :lol:.

OK, so Ireland is not part of Great Britain. It's just Ireland, and the Irish are not British. Correct?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Tez,

Then, the United Kingdom is a politicial union of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, while most of Ireland is an independent nation outside the UK. Correct?

Then within the UK, people are specifically English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish. Correct?

So one could be simultaneously British, English, and living in the UK, or British, Scottish, and living in the UK...etc. Have I got this right?

Thanks!

Oh, and the North America-United States-Canada-Mexico issue isn't really quite the right analogy. North America being simply the continent, and the other enties being independent nations/political entities that do not have a political unification like the UK. I think that's where people on this side of the pond get confused, that UK issue that we don't have anything similar to over here... unless you want to look at the US as a union of 50 separate political entities that are NOT working toward independence, in spite of what people like Rick Perry and Chuck Norris might be saying...:rofl:

The term Great Britain not a political term but a geographical one covering all the islands of which there are a great many. It's basically a term that if we were big enough to be a continent would denote a continent! Eire the proper name for Southern Ireland should be included in this but won't be for political reasons! confused enough yet? The United Kingdom is Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands aren't part of the UK. They are Crown Dependancies with the Queen as head of State but with their own governments, the Manx one being the oldest continious in the world. Scotland, Northern Irland and Wales also have their own governments with the Queen as head of State.

You can certainly be British, Scottish and living in the UK! Official documents usually ask 'are you British' and ask you to state whether English, Welsh or Scottish British.

The important thing for us is that the laws are different in each country as well as things like education, healthcare costs etc. And of course national pride!

Latest Discussions