Egos in MA

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm bettin' that if you've been in MA for more than a month you've run into folks that have big egos. I ran into a guy recently who, in my experience, tops all others I'd previously met. It was at a tournament & I worked a forms ring with him. He reminded me of a cross between the comedian Ron White & "Tackellberry" from "Police Academy." He wasted no time telling anyone who who listen (& those who didn't) of his accomplishments in his storied MA career. He also went on & on about how his art was the best. The fact that he was good with the kids in his ring was his saving grace. That made my time with him bare-able. I tried to "play along" w/ him (while the other judge said 2 words to him the whole day) cuz I figured it'd be a long day if I hadn't.

What have others done in response to folks like this guy? I'm just curious what others have done in response to a guy like this that you've been stuck with.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Usually, we'd invite people like that to spar at some gym as a friendly competition. After all was said and done, it would be clear who knew their stuff and who didn't.

Of course usually they never accepted, but it would get them to avoid me the rest of the day... ;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman it is like that at almost every tournament I go too, ego's are most people worst enemy.
Terry

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's like that in nearly any activity - especially physical activities; I haven't seen too much of that in needlework circles! I agree with those who say ignore it; the actions of the boaster will speak much louder than the words.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey said:
I think it's like that in nearly any activity - especially physical activities; I haven't seen too much of that in needlework circles! I agree with those who say ignore it; the actions of the boaster will speak much louder than the words.

Kacey, I know there's folks like that in nearly every physical activity. But in MA, it seems especially annoying. When someone describes themself as a cross between Superman & King Kong to a bunch of other folks who also fight (& run schools, I may add) it really sounds even more ignorant. We're not at some bar, gettin' drunk & trying to impress the oposite sex, for cryin' out loud. We're judging 6 year olds doing forms at a tournament.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Its just that I've had such good experiences with MA folks in the last year (including interacting with some of the finest MA folks here on MT) I guess I'd forgotten how some jokers can be.

Thanks you guys for lettin' me vent.

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
Egos are for Douche bags.
its one thing to be proud of your Martial arts abilities, and another thing to be a dick. plain and simple.

MRE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If, as in your case, I am going to be stuck with them for a while, I try to change the subject to something a little less irritating. Otherwise, I just try to laugh it off and ignore them.

This person kind of reminds me of an old saying I once heard that went something like "be humble, if you have to tell everyone you see about how good you are, you probably aren't good enough".

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they're legitimately good, but arrogant, then I'll usually keep conversation with them to a bare minimum. If they're full of ****, then I'll ask lots of questions designed to trip them up... :lol:

Shrewsbury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
egos are every where and deeply embitted in the martial arts.

i grew up with the arts and have been through many dumb stages my self, as a punk kid i thought i was the toughest person around, i did many foolish things and was wrapped up in ego. luckily things changed, and i grew up.

i have seen many foolish egos at tournaments, schoo;s, and many other places, though it can be irratating, it is sad to think about what these people are missing and how they live their lives.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I'm bettin' that if you've been in MA for more than a month you've run into folks that have big egos. I ran into a guy recently who, in my experience, tops all others I'd previously met. It was at a tournament & I worked a forms ring with him. He reminded me of a cross between the comedian Ron White & "Tackellberry" from "Police Academy." He wasted no time telling anyone who who listen (& those who didn't) of his accomplishments in his storied MA career. He also went on & on about how his art was the best. The fact that he was good with the kids in his ring was his saving grace. That made my time with him bare-able. I tried to "play along" w/ him (while the other judge said 2 words to him the whole day) cuz I figured it'd be a long day if I hadn't.

What have others done in response to folks like this guy? I'm just curious what others have done in response to a guy like this that you've been stuck with.

Unfortunately, it seems like we tend to run into these types more often than not. I tend to run into these types at seminars. They're the ones that are more interested in telling me how much they know, or trying to show me a 'better' way to do something. I had the chance to work with someone like this at a recent seminar. Last month, I ran into him again at a 3 day camp. I was social, but avoided him the entire 3 days.

I've found that simply showing no interest in what they're saying sends the silent message for them to shut up and get back to training the material that we should be working on.

Mike