EduKaithshun

Discussion in 'Bob Hubbard For President - 2004 Archives' started by Flatlander, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Flatlander

Flatlander Grandmaster

This is drawn from Kaith's platform:
    Could you be more specific regarding what kind of private investment you are referring to, how you intend to encourage it?

Tougher standards for teachers - could you elaborate?

2. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Retired

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Following the example of Niagara Falls NY, I see a plan where private investors will fund our future schools.
    http://www.architectureweek.com/2000/0913/news_3-2.html

In the case of NF, this plan allowed the city to consolidate 2 outdated schools into 1 ultra modern one, with no new levys or taxes. It also returned the old property to the tax rolls creating new income, and gave each new student their own laptop and internet access.

Tougher standards for teachers would include active enforcement of existing standards, as well as a requirement that the teachers also take the same test each year as their students.

3. Flatlander

Flatlander Grandmaster

I'm missing something. I did read your article, but it did not adequately adress the question. Why would a private investor fork out capital to finance the construction of a school? Where is the ROI?

4. PeachMonkey

PeachMonkey Guest

Moreover, why is handing even more of the formative years of children's lives over to the hands of capitalists a good thing?

5. Cryozombie

Cryozombie Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I agree with this statement... read the Cyberpunk Novel "Jennifer Government" by Max Barry...

Do you want you kids going to "Mattel School" where the uniform is as much "Barbie" brand clothing as you can afford for your child, they can only bring lunch in a "Barbie" brand lunchbox, and school prepares them for a job in the Mattel corporation?

No clearly not.

6. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Retired

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    The return is in part, in tax writeoffs.
    I'll do some additional digging in the mean time to determine the rest.

7. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Retired

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Ok, here is more on the idea.
    Short summary - There is no need to worry about major corporate indocrination. These investors build and maintain the facilities, manage them, and lease back to the community over a period of time to recoup their investment with interest. Because building this new facility often times will allow for the consolidation of multiple older facilities, the funding to 'pay the rent' will be available due to the savings found after shutting down the older facilities. More modern heating and cooling alone can provide substantial savings to cash strapped school districts.

The school systems and students win by having state of the art facilities constructed faster. The investors win by having a high ROI, an increase in positive PR, and a better educated future work force. The public wins by not experiencing another tax increase or the controvercial issue of 'I have no kids, why pay for a school" that crops up everytime a school tax is implimented.

Private Capital for Public Schools
    http://www.aasa.org/publications/sa/2003-08/McLaughlin.htm

References:
    http://web.mit.edu/bshumway/www/ThProp.htm
    http://www.detnews.com/2000/schools/0009/21/schools-123400.htm
    http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/1997/12/01/editorial1.html

8. Feisty Mouse

Feisty Mouse Senior Master

• Martial Talk Alumni
    So you are simply referring to the school structure and maintenance - NOT the selling-Coke-to-kids kind of thing we've got going on in our public school now, I hope?

9. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Retired

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Thats pretty much it. Coke can buy em laptops, books, etc. if they like, but I'm not talking about awarding them the 'soda supply' contract. :)123