Dr John La Tourrette

• Thread starter Chicago Green Dragon
  • Start date
OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
The old saying is everybody has an opinion, and opinions are like anal orifices, some of them stink. If you have a personal opinion of someone and make innuendos to that effect in public, don't try to disguise it. If you have an opinion on someone and don't want it public, don't post anything about it, I believe the saying is "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything". I'm an ask me I'll tell ya guy, the truth according to me, and I don't comment on things I can't verify unless it's prefixed with "this is the rumor" or "I've heard this from so and so, is there any truth to it?" Yes, I'll admit I'm a radical about many issues, I don't try to hide it or be PC with it, it's just my nature. If there are bad things going on in Kenpo I believe it's our job to expose them for what they are. If there are good things going on we need to expose that as well, with equal press. I could care less what anyone thinks of me on these forums, it's just another form of electronic mastery. I care about Kenpo, learning it, teaching it, and making sure students are well cared for in the studio I teach at, and I give of myself for a means to that end in the hope others will follow that example. Just my opinion.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Clyde....your alright i dont care what everyone else says about you :rofl:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by brianhunter
Clyde....your alright i dont care what everyone else says about you :rofl:

A buttnugget says what? LOL Gotta love ya dude, your heart is in it all the way.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Interesting Quote. I have never heard that one or maybe i have but i forgot.
Thanks for posting it.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Doc said:
"Just because the red show, don't mean that you know."

Ed Parker

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chicago Green Dragon said:
Hello

I was wondering if anyone could please tell me anything about Dr John La Tourrette. I know he has a number of books and videos out in circulation. He is also known as "The Speedman". Clocked by Black Belt Magazine for more then 16 hits per second.

Thank You

Chicago Green
Dragon
We Had a "Dr. Death" Brown belt study with us for a while. He didn't have any concept of anchoring your elbows for power and protection. My first thought was to call the system the "Partial Arts". However, I will admit that using that Brown Belt to judge a whole system is unfair. I would hate for people to judge K2000 by watching me move. :asian:

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

We had a "Dr Death" in our kenjitsu class before. He came once or twice. But the guys who were there longer told me they remember him and its def. an experience.
During class things were going fine till the teacher showed us a technique and it was our turn to practice it. Dr Death got up and started asking questions without even giving it a try. He must have had 10 questions. Then when the teacher asked him to just try it he gave him a smirk and said ok.

Things went on like this through class a few times that day. Till our teacher asked him to be quiet and just try it first.

Later on in the locker room. He was bragging about this and that.

From what i can see in class the only thing he knew how to do was shoot off his mouth and waste time with questions that actually he could have answered if he bothered to just do it.

We didnt see much of him after that but i did notice his black belt in his bag and a pair of numchucks.

Chicago Green Dragon

Touch'O'Death said:
We Had a "Dr. Death" Brown belt study with us for a while. He didn't have any concept of anchoring your elbows for power and protection. My first thought was to call the system the "Partial Arts". However, I will admit that using that Brown Belt to judge a whole system is unfair. I would hate for people to judge K2000 by watching me move. :asian:

OP
I

InvisibleFist

I've seen Dr LaTourette in action. I was his practice dummy for a demonstration of "Speed Hitting". He instructed me to place my hands 18 inches apart in front of my chest. He said he was going to hit me in the chest before I could clap my hands together.

He hit me THREE TIMES! BAM! BAM! BAM!

Of course I said I wasn't ready...he caught me off guard. So he did it AGAIN. And AGAIN. He did it over and over, because I couldn't beleive what I was seeing (correction: feeling...I didn't see squat.)

Say what you want about the man, but Speed Hitting is a reality.

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

How long did you study with him?

What did you think of the other things he taught ?

I only know about him through his books and tapes, martial arts and huna.

I originally started this post to see if anyone could tell me anything about the man. I have noticed a lot of flaming of him.

But i also notice him on both the parker and tracy kenpo family trees so i have to ask if he is a fraud then how can he be on both in high ranking status.

Chicago Green Dragon

InvisibleFist said:
I've seen Dr LaTourette in action. I was his practice dummy for a demonstration of "Speed Hitting". He instructed me to place my hands 18 inches apart in front of my chest. He said he was going to hit me in the chest before I could clap my hands together.

Of course I said I wasn't ready...he caught me off guard. So he did it AGAIN. And AGAIN. He did it over and over, because I couldn't beleive what I was seeing (correction: feeling...I didn't see squat.)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:
I've seen Dr LaTourette in action.

Not without structural integrity.
Sean

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

i was wondering how many people have seen the man in action in person or felt his work ?

What do they have to say ?

%-}

Chicago Green Dragon

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
InvisibleFist said:

It's a training trick. When I get a cocky prospective new student, I give them a pad to hold against their chest. I then put my arm to the extended position and then have them put their "fast hand" two inches away from where I am going to strike. I then tell them the object is to block my punch or to even touch my arm before I make contact. I then put my hand at my side and tell them I am about to strike, then I do. It's more about the processing speed of the human brain ( stimuli to translation to reaction.) than it is about physical speed. I am totally unimpressed by an 18 inch gap.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seig said:
It's a training trick. When I get a cocky prospective new student, I give them a pad to hold against their chest. I then put my arm to the extended position and then have them put their "fast hand" two inches away from where I am going to strike. I then tell them the object is to block my punch or to even touch my arm before I make contact. I then put my hand at my side and tell them I am about to strike, then I do. It's more about the processing speed of the human brain ( stimuli to translation to reaction.) than it is about physical speed. I am totally unimpressed by an 18 inch gap.
And further more, if you step off the line of attack you really don't have to block. :uhyeah:
Sean

OP
I

InvisibleFist

Seig said:
WOW! I'm floored that I was taken in.

Can anybody do this trick?

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Chicago Green Dragon said:
I originally started this post to see if anyone could tell me anything about the man. I have noticed a lot of flaming of him.

But i also notice him on both the parker and tracy kenpo family trees so i have to ask if he is a fraud then how can he be on both in high ranking status.

Chicago Green Dragon

My American Kenpo instructor trained under "the Doc", and had nothing but praise for the man and his teaching methods. I no longer train in AK but still trust his judgement.
--Dave

OP
I

InvisibleFist

I tried doing the "speed hitting" demo with a friend. Neither of us could hit each other before the handclap came together. If its a trick, I must be missing something.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
InvisibleFist said:
I tried doing the "speed hitting" demo with a friend. Neither of us could hit each other before the handclap came together. If its a trick, I must be missing something.
Yes you are. I am not trying to be rude, but what you lack is experience. I am not stating that Mr. LaTourette is not talented nor that he has not trained some good fighters, but I am stating that what he is doing is basically a trick.

OP
I

InvisibleFist

I see. So its not a "trick" in the same way as say the "unbendable arm", which ANYONE can do...you actually do need some hand speed to pull it off?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:
I see. So its not a "trick" in the same way as say the "unbendable arm", which ANYONE can do...you actually do need some hand speed to pull it off?
No, he means its a trick in the manner that Mr. L tells you how to stand and where to put your hands, he then exploits your imposed limitations, with one of any number of counters. Its his game, you played, and were played. As I stated before, shoot off the line of attack instead of trying to clap your hands toguether, and you might beat his action.
Sean

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:

Speed hitting may be a reality, but it belies a problem Kenpoka have spent years trying to overcome. Mr. Parker was phenom at blasting off high-speed combos with enough force to crack your noggin if he nailed it. Well-meaning students sought to emulate him by shortening the path of momentum of movements, and kenpo became a "slap art", with tournaments and belt tests full of people hitting themselves more ineffectively than they could hit another. It is easy to sacrifice strength and power for speed. It's impressive, too...your moves look cleaner, and you can rifle them off more quickly, making you look that much better than the guy you're standing next to. But it's a farce. Hitting faster DOES NOT equal hitting harder.

Interesting note: In Mr. Parkers black belt classes, he would demo a technique with wide, heavy-handed arcs that landed like hammers, then ask the class to do the same tech he just demo'd. Looking around, the attendees would perform the series correctly, with shortened slappier versions of what Parker did. Did they really think they were doing the same thing? His palm-heel to the chest would knock me back, up into the air and against the wall behind me (I weigh 225); theirs would hit me hard enough to interrupt a train of thought, maybe. But it was quick.

Speed-boy has yet to enter into the body of evidence that his trickery is anything more than the sacrifice of one advantage -- power -- for another -- speed. I would rather stick my chin out to take one from him, than from a slower, larger, and more intense Mike Tyson.

Watch him on video or in person again, and notice how little momentum energy (power) sits behind his strikes. See someone responding like they've been thumped? Remember the Aikido problem...you only get lobbed around the room if you're stupid enough to hold on to the wrist...the recipients are conditioned to comply.

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Dave

Thank you for your posting. I was wondering have you seen any of the Doc's tapes ? and do you rem your previous teacher teaching you some of those things ? and what did you think of them as a student experience wise?

Chicago Green Dragon

D.Cobb said:
My American Kenpo instructor trained under "the Doc", and had nothing but praise for the man and his teaching methods. I no longer train in AK but still trust his judgement.
--Dave

Latest Discussions