Dr. Chapel - Technical Kicking Question

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In regards to the discussion on the other forum, I thought in here might be efficient to ask. Are there any resources I can look into for ensuring correct principles of movement for my kicks prior to heading down to pick your brain in LA? I've a sneaking suspicion my TKD training had/has something to do with the length of time it's taking to recover from this injury (April 05); I still have yet to regain even half mobility on the left side and it's almost humorous to lament the lack of flexibility after the injury.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
IWishToLearn said:
In regards to the discussion on the other forum, I thought in here might be efficient to ask. Are there any resources I can look into for ensuring correct principles of movement for my kicks prior to heading down to pick your brain in LA? I've a sneaking suspicion my TKD training had/has something to do with the length of time it's taking to recover from this injury (April 05); I still have yet to regain even half mobility on the left side and it's almost humorous to lament the lack of flexibility after the injury.
I will teach you to INDEX your kicks. That will take the strain off your body.

OP
IWishToLearn

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd hope (edit: - hope...which is like "hoped") to hear that, but I was also hoping to find some direction until I can make it down there again :).

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
IWishToLearn said:
I'd hope (edit: - hope...which is like "hoped") to hear that, but I was also hoping to find some direction until I can make it down there again :).
Unfortunately there is no written material that I know of. Some people go out and buy Grey's Anatomy and other books they think will help them. The truth is the specific application of the information you seek is not written anywhere. Kinda like buying a book on acupuncture and then thinking it will help them do "nerve strikes" in a technique. Not going to happen.

OP
IWishToLearn

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dam. Somehow I knew you'd say that.

*starts counting pennies for another trip south*

OP
IWishToLearn

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Going to start working on the leg indexes...I spent Sunday doing that and the hip flexors are slightly peeved at me since I apparently haven't used them correctly before hehe.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
IWishToLearn said:
Going to start working on the leg indexes...I spent Sunday doing that and the hip flexors are slightly peeved at me since I apparently haven't used them correctly before hehe.
Yeah its funny how when I start a person, no matter how much they trained before, they find muscles they didn't know they had. The indexes will put you in touch with most everything necessary to make those kicks anatomically correct. That's why you're feeling it from just a few minutes work. Sorry you couldn't have come in sooner, or went to dinner with myself and Dr. Crouch. Hope your buddy recovered from the "knockout." Any comments later from him?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doc said:
Yeah its funny how when I start a person, no matter how much they trained before, they find muscles they didn't know they had. The indexes will put you in touch with most everything necessary to make those kicks anatomically correct. That's why you're feeling it from just a few minutes work. Sorry you couldn't have come in sooner, or went to dinner with myself and Dr. Crouch. Hope your buddy recovered from the "knockout." Any comments later from him?

Your post reads "3:49 AM". You have got to get some sleep, my friend.

Monique dug dinner -- food and company -- and as I posted on another site, also enjoyed the kenpo. She's been hammerfisting me from a braced index since Saturday, and badgering me about pelvic alignment in gait.

Sleeeep...

D.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Your post reads "3:49 AM". You have got to get some sleep, my friend.

Monique dug dinner -- food and company -- and as I posted on another site, also enjoyed the kenpo. She's been hammerfisting me from a braced index since Saturday, and badgering me about pelvic alignment in gait.

Sleeeep...

D.
She's a nautural and fun. Definitely a keeper my friend. (wear a cup)

OP
IWishToLearn

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
BTW just since I felt like posting in semi-privacy for once. Matt wanted me to reiterate he "LOVED-with 3 !!!'s" what you showed him and will be coming down with me again as soon as we both can afford to do so. Also - next time we'll frikking be there on time.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
IWishToLearn said:
BTW just since I felt like posting in semi-privacy for once. Matt wanted me to reiterate he "LOVED-with 3 !!!'s" what you showed him and will be coming down with me again as soon as we both can afford to do so. Also - next time we'll frikking be there on time.
Check!!

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IWishToLearn said:

Hey Steve,

you're so lucky to be in the same country as Doc, make the most of your visits and enjoy.

Doc training is going well and Mr Mills is certainly enjoying teaching us.

Hope to see you soon, hey maybe when Steve pops over I could arrange a trip too. :)

:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Roughly, what is "Indexing"? Is it targeting your kicks?

INDEX – Specific points and methodologies the human body must utilize and move through in order to obtain maximum anatomical congruency, for any specific physical activity.

Indexes are divided into two categories, Basic, and Advanced. Index body parts would be the Head, Arms, Hands, fingers, Pelvic, Legs and Feet. With a significant understanding of this aspect of human movement associated with Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation, (PNF) one begins to understand from the lost old Chinese perspective, why ‘posture’ was and is so important to proper execution. Thus this is one of the reasons ‘forms’ were created. They are ‘Indexes of information,’ (not strict application as some believe), as well as the methodology for teaching proper body mechanics once properly decoded.

The sustained execution of proper Indexes invariably leads to what some call, ‘Internal Energy’ or ‘Qi or ‘Ki.’ Those who obtain it move with an explosively articulate and powerful action consistently, cultivated from sustained correct anatomical movement.

A good example would be a jump shooter in basketball. All great jump shooters all shoot the exact same anatomical way, having learned the proper Indexing/basics’ and not allowed to alter, change, or tailor by knowledgeable coaches. Ultimately the action becomes intuitive, smoothed and compressed in action and appears effortless in its effectiveness.

Put simply: Whatever it is you are going to do may require you to move from point ‘A’ to point ‘E.’ In that process anatomically you must move THROUGH ‘B, C, and D’ to get there correctly. In this example, ‘B, C, and D’ would be the ‘Index Points,’ if one is to move properly utilizing all of the body’s architectural support properly to achieve the goal upon arrival at ‘E.’

In the beginning, these Index Points may look to some as exaggerated, excessive, or even slow. They are neither. The Chinese were criticized by other less knowledgeable art practitioners for some of their long, looping and exaggerated postures and methods. But the end result is anything but.

In Ed Parker’s teaching to me, he referred to these Index Basics, as Phonetic Movement. (There are some that will remember him speaking of this) This analogy of learning of the ABC’s, (Indexes) is transferred to writing in large blocks of PRINT, which gives way over time to smaller blocks of print, to large than small SCRIPT, and ultimately, SHORTHAND. The problem is; everyone wants to begin with shorthand when they haven’t learned the ABC’s. But the really sad thing is, almost no one knows the ABC’s (basics) to begin with. Everyone talks about them and their importance, but I can assure you they don't know them and it is demonstrable.

Those born of and reared in the commercial context began their study sans basics or Indexes at shorthand, thus lacking the proper foundation upon which to build and grow. Therefore, whatever level of skill acquired in general will level out, with no opportunity to reach higher. It is a functional ceiling built into the methodology.

The proper method requires a measure of patience and personal discipline, but oddly does not take any longer to learn than the commercial method. The difference is the latter requires the oversight of a supremely knowledgeable teacher of proper anatomical movement within the context of the learned activity. In sports, they call them ‘coaches.’

Hope I didn’t bore you sir.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Put simply: Whatever it is you are going to do may require you to move from point ‘A’ to point ‘E.’ In that process anatomically you must move THROUGH ‘B, C, and D’ to get there correctly. In this example, ‘B, C, and D’ would be the ‘Index Points,’ if one is to move properly utilizing all of the body’s architectural support properly to achieve the goal upon arrival at ‘E.’

Ohhh...so it's like charting a course! Only the vessel is...one's body. And the index points are used to not only avoid leaving the navigation to chance, they are also used to show how to get the maximum benefit out of the reason for the voyage.

I'm really looking forward to heading west. :D :D

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
INDEX – Specific points and methodologies the human body must utilize and move through in order to obtain maximum anatomical congruency, for any specific physical activity.

Indexes are divided into two categories, Basic, and Advanced. Index body parts would be the Head, Arms, Hands, fingers, Pelvic, Legs and Feet. With a significant understanding of this aspect of human movement associated with Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation, (PNF) one begins to understand from the lost old Chinese perspective, why ‘posture’ was and is so important to proper execution. Thus this is one of the reasons ‘forms’ were created. They are ‘Indexes of information,’ (not strict application as some believe), as well as the methodology for teaching proper body mechanics once properly decoded.

The sustained execution of proper Indexes invariably leads to what some call, ‘Internal Energy’ or ‘Qi or ‘Ki.’ Those who obtain it move with an explosively articulate and powerful action consistently, cultivated from sustained correct anatomical movement.

A good example would be a jump shooter in basketball. All great jump shooters all shoot the exact same anatomical way, having learned the proper Indexing/basics’ and not allowed to alter, change, or tailor by knowledgeable coaches. Ultimately the action becomes intuitive, smoothed and compressed in action and appears effortless in its effectiveness.

In the beginning, these Index Points may look to some as exaggerated, excessive, or even slow. They are neither. The Chinese were criticized by other less knowledgeable art practitioners for some of their long, looping and exaggerated postures and methods. But the end result is anything but.

In Ed Parker’s teaching to me, he referred to these Index Basics, as Phonetic Movement. (There are some that will remember him speaking of this) This analogy of learning of the ABC’s, (Indexes) is transferred to writing in large blocks of PRINT, which gives way over time to smaller blocks of print, to large than small SCRIPT, and ultimately, SHORTHAND. The problem is; everyone wants to begin with shorthand when they haven’t learned the ABC’s. But the really sad thing is, almost no one knows the ABC’s (basics) to begin with. Everyone talks about them and their importance, but I can assure you they don't know them and it is demonstrable.

Those born of and reared in the commercial context began their study sans basics or Indexes at shorthand, thus lacking the proper foundation upon which to build and grow. Therefore, whatever level of skill acquired in general will level out, with no opportunity to reach higher. It is a functional ceiling built into the methodology.

The proper method requires a measure of patience and personal discipline, but oddly does not take any longer to learn than the commercial method. The difference is the latter requires the oversight of a supremely knowledgeable teacher of proper anatomical movement within the context of the learned activity. In sports, they call them ‘coaches.’

Hope I didn’t bore you sir.

On the contrary, that was more than I hoped for by way of an explaination. As always Doc, you deliver the goods big time. I should have known better than to ask for a "Rough" answer to my question :)

Thanks again.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the contrary, that was more than I hoped for by way of an explaination. As always Doc, you deliver the goods big time. I should have known better than to ask for a "Rough" answer to my question :)

Thanks again.

Only for the 'good guys' (and Carol). :) Really time consuming and difficult conveying information to those that either wouldn't understand, or just want to find something they can diasgree with.

Latest Discussions