Dojang Facebook Page

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not use one currently because I am not soliciting new students right now. I am fully aware of the advantages of Facebook, Twitter, blogging, etc. as well as optimizing your website for search engines. These are all tools any school seeking to attract new students should be using - old advertising methods like the printed Yellow Pages are probably close to useless at this point.

I am planning to start publishing some videos of the type of training my dojo offers on Youtube. This will be more for informational purposes than marketing, to let prospects know exactly what being a member of my school is like and what type of training they would expect to learn.

Well, considering that the yellow pages will be in every house in your zip code compared to the international public you get on the net...but then again facebook vs paid add...

one more point: I have facebook and myspace but I never check it out, and definitely not updating. So if you are not 100% behind the idea of having one and just doing it because it's what people do, get somebody who is into it (like wives and kids etc, nt saying guys don't get into it) to keep things going.

I have yet to upload my first picture to facebook...or myspace for that matter, double-triple checking that only approved friends get to see them.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our team Facebook page was sure busy this weekend keeping everyone up to date on how Team-X was doing that the USA Jr Team Trial's Round Robin at The OTC.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...3165763&ref=mf

To me, this is a perfect example of how a dojang Facebook page can be used to promote a school and it's athletes.

How is your Facebook page coming along Terry? Have a link?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our team Facebook page was sure busy this weekend keeping everyone up to date on how Team-X was doing that the USA Jr Team Trial's Round Robin at The OTC.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...3165763&ref=mf

To me, this is a perfect example of how a dojang Facebook page can be used to promote a school and it's athletes.

How is your Facebook page coming along Terry? Have a link?

My oldest son Zachary is doing it between testing at school, hopefully it will be done by the end of the month.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Well, considering that the yellow pages will be in every house in your zip code compared to the international public you get on the net"

Just to add to that. I dont think the Yellow pages will end up in a third of those households. I dont know why they make it past the outside trash can. Yellow Pages are obsolete. Everybody looks everything up on the net. If not FB, paying for local google clicks will serve you better.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't get the Yellow Pages in my neighborhood. The Home Owners' Association won't all them to be distributed in our community. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recently added a facebook page for my dojang. One of these days I'll set up my professional website. But if you're on FB, just search for Columbia Martial Arts Academy.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just to add to that. I dont think the Yellow pages will end up in a third of those households. I dont know why they make it past the outside trash can. Yellow Pages are obsolete. Everybody looks everything up on the net. If not FB, paying for local google clicks will serve you better.

Couldn't say it better. The printed Yellow pages have been almost meaningless in the U.S for nearly a decade and it surprises me that many martial arts schools continue to waste money paying for listings on the dead wood.

One can create a really good and professional web site for a fraction of what it costs to advertise in the yellow pages and get better marketing results. A good web site -- complimented with facebook and other social media -- will enable you to know who's looking at your site, what features they are interested in, what times they looked, etc. It will give you a traffic count, down to how many people sought directions to your dojang and from what zip code -- if it's linked to Google maps.