Dog Attacks.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In another thread the issue of dog attacks was brought up. I've seen some bizarre suggestions for them elsewhwhere. My uncle, as a brown belt, once stopped one with afront kick to the throat. My brother-in-law, who for a great many years has been an animal control officer, says it's tough, there's no one trick, but remember that in all likelihood someone taught that dog "No" or "Bad dog!" at some point in it's life and that's worth a try--but don't count on it by any means.

Any thoughts?

D

Danny

My Mom was telling me the over day that once before I was born her and my Dad were going for a walk when this huge dog came charging at them barking, and bearing it teeth. Apprently my Dad just waited until it got close and claimly proceeded to kick it as hard as he could. The dog ran away with it's tail between it's legs.

That would be my suggestion.

I

islandtime

Originally posted by arnisador

In another thread the issue of dog attacks was brought up. I've seen some bizarre suggestions for them elsewhwhere. My uncle, as a brown belt, once stopped one with afront kick to the throat. My brother-in-law, who for a great many years has been an animal control officer, says it's tough, there's no one trick, but remember that in all likelihood someone taught that dog "No" or "Bad dog!" at some point in it's life and that's worth a try--but don't count on it by any means.

Any thoughts?
..............................................................................................
Being a semi-pro road bicycle racer and triathlete for years.. you have no idea how many dogs have come after me.. Running and cycling is like a moveable feast for dogs of all sizes..

You are right about the "bad dog" ...I have used this many times and it usually works..if not,..
I usually carry an ultrasonic hand held now. This is the same kind sold to the USPS and works fine on all dogs that can hear worth a darn .
Usually keeping a handfull of gravel is mostly a deterrent when I run if I am not carrying the ultrasonic..

I have had to kick a dog or two in the past . The throat/nose or the crotch can work just like real guys...

Gene Gabel:asian:

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by arnisador

but remember that in all likelihood someone taught that dog "No" or "Bad dog!" at some point in it's life and that's worth a try--but don't count on it by any means.

Any thoughts?

That is why my brother in law taught his 2 Ruttwielers (sp?) "Leave it" instead of "no"

S

sweeper

yeah, point to where ever they came from and yell "go home" pocket of gravel also.. my instructor told me he used to cary one of his hardwood kali sticks when running for dogs.. that probably worked. I have never come across a pair of rutwielers though.. that would just suck.. maybe make a break for the nearest tree and hope I get up it before they get my leg??

R

RyuShiKan

Each one of his dogs weighs at least 140lbs..........my sons used to ride them like horses.
Nice dogs to family members but it "sucks to be you" if your not.

D

DWright

The gravel is a great idea, but if you can't reach gravel, a small handful of pocket change works the same way. A couple bucks work of change beat the alternative.

The toughest dog I ever met was a pitbull. He was trained to attack anything that moved in his owners drug grow operation.
That dog took three well placed .45 rounds from my sgt, and died making a leap to bite him.

The yelling "no" or go home, has prompted a large group of dog trainers in Oregon to train in only hand signs, and german commands. Even my Cocker Spainiel is trained in German.

I

islandtime

Originally posted by DWright

[B. Even my Cocker Spainiel is trained in German. [/B]
.....................................................................................

A Cocker Spaniel trained in German is somehow more frightening to me than the pit bull stories... Don't tell us it has SS Tattoo on it also:D

Gene Gabel

I

islandtime

Originally posted by RyuShiKan

If you had a Chihuahua would you train it in Spanish? ;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..
I have a Basenji... would that be in Egyptian or African.??...as if he would listen anyway:D

Gene Gabel

C

chufeng

When I was much younger, I had a paper route...dogs coming after me were a fact of life...

After barely out-running a german shepherd on my bicycle, my dad suggested a squirt gun filled with ammonia...one or two sprays into the nose or eyes and the dog quickly forgets about you ;)

:asian:
chufeng

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by DWright
The toughest dog I ever met was a pitbull. He was trained to attack anything that moved in his owners drug grow operation.
That dog took three well placed .45 rounds from my sgt, and died making a leap to bite him.

This is the very same reason that I do not believe that police should be allowed to use Dogs on suspects except in extreme or proper cases. Once unleashed the level of control is lost. No matter what they say. While I think that dogs make a great policing tool they are often misused.

Case in point. Again, I was watching REALTV, when a suspect refused to get out a car they sent in a police dog despite the fact the person was unarmed. The dog had to be pulled off the suspect by 2 cops and came away with half the guy's arm/shirt. The suspect was not charged with anything but was told, "Too bad, soo sad, you should have listened." IMHO, that was unjustified. Luckily they sued and won a chunk of money because of overuse of force by an officer.

Which brings me to my next point. They should not refer to police dogs as officers. They are police eqiupment. I know of a Silat teacher who had a student that had a police dog set upon her at a sit in protest. In defending herself from the "officer" she bit it on the nose and started to choke it. She was charged with assaulting a police officer. She countered with overuse of force by an "officer."

An officer in that situation would have merely dragged the non-violent protester away. The dog attacked. The problem is that most police do not use dogs in proper fashion for which the are used. Sure, suspect on the run and escape. I can see that. The dogs are trained to run down and immobilize.

I am all for dogs being used on the police force but in a realistic and prescribed manner with policy and proceedure citing that the handler of the dog be responsible for it's actions.

G

girlychuks

I was jogging and this huge german sheperd- (owned by a brainless family of Goths that do nothing but sit around and watch others work)- ran up to me, doing the whole barking/ jaw baring act. I got into a cat stance and kiaid at the f*cker. He put his tail between his legs and booked.

if he had come any closer, I would have kicked or clubbed his nose with my walkman.

Two good points to remember-

Dogs have a radial nerve that runs down the side of their ribcage. Aim a good hard kick at the side of the ribs- halfway up and halfway to the abdomen- will make almost any dog back down. Occasionally it will also cause a temporary foreleg paralysis.

Any good hard direct hit to the bridge of the nose will alos temporarly blind or stun a dog. Doesn't work on short nosed dogs like bulldogs or boxers though.

Before you accuse me of animal cruelty, just know that I work at a vet college and LOVE dogs. However, I believe that *all* companion animals must *not* be a danger to the public. I believe that is a basic responsibilty of pet ownership.

Biting a burglar's or attacker's *** on home territory is one thing. Going across the street to chase a bicyclist, kid, or jogger is another thing entirely.

F

fist of fury

Originally posted by girlychuks

I was jogging and this huge german sheperd- (owned by a brainless family of Goths that do nothing but sit around and watch others work)- ran up to me, doing the whole barking/ jaw baring act. I got into a cat stance and kiaid at the f*cker. He put his tail between his legs and booked.

if he had come any closer, I would have kicked or clubbed his nose with my walkman.

Two good points to remember-

Dogs have a radial nerve that runs down the side of their ribcage. Aim a good hard kick at the side of the ribs- halfway up and halfway to the abdomen- will make almost any dog back down. Occasionally it will also cause a temporary foreleg paralysis.

Any good hard direct hit to the bridge of the nose will alos temporarly blind or stun a dog. Doesn't work on short nosed dogs like bulldogs or boxers though.

Before you accuse me of animal cruelty, just know that I work at a vet college and LOVE dogs. However, I believe that *all* companion animals must *not* be a danger to the public. I believe that is a basic responsibilty of pet ownership.

Biting a burglar's or attacker's *** on home territory is one thing. Going across the street to chase a bicyclist, kid, or jogger is another thing entirely.
Agreed most of the problems with dogs today is because of the stupidity of the owners and the dogs have to suffer because of it.

B

big351stang

remember dogs can tast fear. its sends them into over drive. dont show any fear and if you really want to shock them, throw your arms up and bark back at them even louder. that will freek them out and they will usually run.
if a dog does bite you you can push what ever it is that they bit, and arm for example, back into the back of their mouth. they do not have as much power inthe back of their jaw and cant bite as hard. then you can hit them or what ever you need to do.

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't rely on the spray bottle full of ammonia to work. I've had troubles with a stray dog hanging around my house and being a general terror anytime I went out doors and I was given the advice to use a squirt gun or a spray bottle and shoot ammonia in the dogs eyes. I tried it and the dog ran off a little ways and then ran right back in. The ammonia didn't faze it in the least.

I do a lot of running and biking, when the opportunity presents itself, so I've had plenty of run ins with dogs. Mostly, I ignore them. I make sure that I know where they are at all times, but I just continue on as before. In most instances the dog will chase you to a certain point barking up a storm and then will leave you alone. Or perhaps it will quiet down and just run along behind you until a certain point and then will leave you alone. If you hear a dog barking at you, then you are pretty safe. For a dog, barking is just trying to get attention. "I see you and I'm calling for reinforcements (other dogs or alerting its owner) so you better get out of here." When it starts to growl, you better pay attention because the growl means "Hey buddy, reinforcements aren't coming, you've crossed the line and I'm gonna have to protect myself, my territory and anything else I'm loyal to!" and when it starts growling you should probably play rewind and reverse what-ever action you took to get it to growl, unless you HAVE to go forward and then you better be prepared to beat the dog down.

I've only been bitten by a dog once. I was in first grade, so i was extremely young and naive and one of my 'enemies' pretended to be friendly and invited me to pet the dog. He went and petted it and so I followed his lead and ignored the dogs barking, then growling. The dog grabbed my by the armpit and flung me to the ground and somehow I managed to crawl or scoot out of its area. I don't remember much about that. I've faced some pretty viscious dogs who were known biters and I've never been bitten after that, so its worked for me. I won't say that I'm right because I am not one of those pet psychics or a pet psychologist and know what is going on in its head.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Turner

Don't rely on the spray bottle full of ammonia to work. I've had troubles with a stray dog hanging around my house and being a general terror anytime I went out doors and I was given the advice to use a squirt gun or a spray bottle and shoot ammonia in the dogs eyes. I tried it and the dog ran off a little ways and then ran right back in. The ammonia didn't faze it in the least.

I've heard the advice to use a spray bottle of cat urine--they hate smelling like cats.

T

theneuhauser

just show that dog your ready stance, he probably didnt realize that youre a martial artist.:p

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by big351stang
remember dogs can tast fear. its sends them into over drive. dont show any fear and if you really want to shock them, throw your arms up and bark back at them even louder. that will freek them out and they will usually run.
if a dog does bite you you can push what ever it is that they bit, and arm for example, back into the back of their mouth. they do not have as much power inthe back of their jaw and cant bite as hard. then you can hit them or what ever you need to do.

This is the worst advice I ever heard. Congratulations. You have entered into race for worst advice ever.

Arnisador...I can't even begin to explain why this guy is wrong.