Dog Attacks.

E

ECYili

Your right about one thing Gou, everyone is entitled to their own "truths", "ideals" or "reasons". But you gotta remember when you put yourself out there in the public, be it the internet or just walking down the street. You represent and portray what kind of human being you are, your instructor-what he teaches and indirectly what type a person he is, your style and finally martial arts and artists in general. If you come across and cockey, arogant, ill-tempered and imature to a complete stranger that's what impression they will have on the above list. Likewise when you visit forums such as this one.
I do give you credit for haveing the courage neccesary to stick to your beliefs. Alot of people don't really know where they stand on issues let alone stand up for them.

Happy trainning

Dan

R

RyuShiKan

A karate teacher friend of mine down in Okinawa was attacked by a German Shepard several years ago.
He saw the dog jump for him so instinctively he punched it in the head.......... and killed it.
He said he felt pretty bad about it afterwards.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Again these are your opinions of what is supposed to happen. These are things that you believe in. I'm not saying they are right or wrong. Just that there are those who hold different opinions and they are just as right and wrong as yours are.

Well, opinion or not, it should be the standard... There is a book titled "Living the Martial Way" in which it says something along the lines of "the only thing that separates warriors from thugs is a sense of honor." It would be my belief, and I suppose many others would agree, that honor without humility is nothing more than arrogance and conceit.

Whatever.

Aren't we supposed to be talking about how to f**k up a dog?

Rat poison and a piece of red meat...

:samurai: :samurai:

E

ECYili

Something simular happend to one of my instructors. He and a fellow employee were out doing debt collecting when a rotweiller(sp) came and jumped at the other guy. He twisted to get out of the way and slapped in the side of the head just to keep it from hitting him and he killed it. This guy had no prior trainning though he was about 6'2" about 220lbs. He also felt bad and offered the guy to pay for it but the instead paid the debt that he owed.

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by ECYili
Your right about one thing Gou, everyone is entitled to their own "truths", "ideals" or "reasons". But you gotta remember when you put yourself out there in the public, be it the internet or just walking down the street. You represent and portray what kind of human being you are, your instructor-what he teaches and indirectly what type a person he is, your style and finally martial arts and artists in general. If you come across and cockey, arogant, ill-tempered and imature to a complete stranger that's what impression they will have on the above list. Likewise when you visit forums such as this one.

I agree with you to a point. In many cases there are people who study martial arts that their instructors wish they weren't teaching but they do because it pays the bills. That is what the price of being a commercial school is. But I agree with most of what you state. The problem with the internet is that people do not get a complete picture of someone and without that it's easy to see people in a light that might not be accurate. That's why I like to meet people in person but that's not always possible.

By the way, I am sort of arrogant and cocky, somewhat ill-tempered when poked. Not sure about the immature because that's subjective, but you forgot to add "good looking."
:D

Anyway, I think too many people get all caught up on the instructor thing. If mine asked me to scale it back I'd discuss it with them and then if they had good reason I'd probably comply. I'm not totally unreasonable. However, I like to be me and I enjoy that ability. When I have to change because someone else doesn't think I fit the bill what they think I should be like then I worry.

Originally posted by ECYili
I do give you credit for haveing the courage neccesary to stick to your beliefs. Alot of people don't really know where they stand on issues let alone stand up for them.
Happy trainning
Dan

I hear you. Right back at you. Enjoy.
:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only know for sure of a dog_ martial atrs person encounter.

A large dog jumped a student of mine years ago and latched onto his arm. The kid kicked the dog squarly between the rear legs. Pretty much the end of the story the dog went down to the ground , my student got the hell out.

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
Well, opinion or not, it should be the standard...

Why? Because you think it should be? I can see it now. 4 billion people on the globe all twisting to your whims.

There is a book titled "Living the Martial Way" in which it says something along the lines of "the only thing that separates warriors from thugs is a sense of honor." It would be my belief, and I suppose many others would agree, that honor without humility is nothing more than arrogance and conceit.

I dunno. There are a few thugs that have honour but live their life based on things that you or I might not understand or be able to deal with. But at least you are now stating that it's your opinion, whether or not others agree. When you read or see, or hear something you agree with of course people will take it into their world view. It only makes sense that we accept the things we agree with.

Aren't we supposed to be talking about how to f**k up a dog?

No. How to defend against an attack.

E

ECYili

There is a vulnerable place to strike that is located between the last set of ribs and where the rear thigh connects at the top. There really is not much pertection there. This is about the only body shot other then the throat or groin that would hurt with a hand strike ( I think). Not saying a nice hard kick to the ribs wouldn't change the dogs attitude.
But I think the point is to hit the dog REALLY REALLY hard with whatever you throw at it.

That's my opinion and we all know what those are like

Train hard

Dan

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My advice when dealing with dog is don't run away. Back off. I've got no idea how to deal with dogs plural.

As for stuffing your hand down a dogs throat, Gou Ronin did say - "I can't even begin to explain why this guy is wrong." Which is probably why he hasn't.

I guess it might be wrong because the dog is only going to shake and shake, and that might change things a bit. Different breeds of dogs fight differently though.

It's easy to say that everybody has their own way of doing things and that there is no right way. it's a great way of never having to take good advice.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is going to sound stupid as hell, so please bare with me.

I think that animals in general, especially dogs, are more in tuned to emotions, intentions, and positive or negative "energies," if you will. Once again, bare with me. I'm no animal expert, or "Jedi Mind trick" expert, so this is going to sound retarded. Anyways, dogs do not rely on rational thought like we do; so their way of survival is instinct. Part of their instinct is to recognize the emotion and "intent" of the other animals. This is an important survival tool for many animals.

This instinct can work for against a victim. Example: If the victim is afraid, waiving the hands or yelling will only provoke as opposed to scare; the dog will sense the fear. However, we can use this instinct to our advantage as well.

To use the dogs ability to recognize intent to your advantage, try creating a picture in your head of exactly what action (or non-action) you want the dog to take, and focus on projecting that image to the animal when you give it a command. No, I don't believe the dog will read your mind, but it will recognise your intent (emotions, "energies") and it will be more apt to follow your commands.

Example: My girlfriends roomate has 2 huge and undisaplined dogs. If the dog has my shoe in it's mouth, and I worriedly think about the dog chewing my shoe to bits while I tell him "NO!", the dog will continue to try to chew my shoe until I take it. If I picture the dog dropping my shoe while I calmly but sternly tell it to put down the shoe, it more often then not listens.

This has worked on more then one occasion, with more then one kind of animal.

So, when I am attacked or in danger of an attack by a dog (which has happend more then once to me) I picture the dog being my friend. In the back of my mind, however, I am ready to fight any animal to the death if it comes to that. I really believe that the animal can sense my intentions and will more likely then not pick another victim.

So, try adding this to whatever "technique" you try. By picturing what you want to happend in your mind, you will be distracted from other negative emotions (like fear), and the animal will be more apt to recognize your intent.

Sorry for the ramble!

:cool:

E

ECYili

Very interesting idea Paul. Does it work on cats? (ha ha) No I don't think your weird, heck everyone is weird in some way or another :p

I think what it comes down to is, to what ever is neccessary to get the job done.

Take care, train hard

Dan

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL

This is going to sound stupid as hell, so please bare with me.

I think that animals in general, especially dogs, are more in tuned to emotions, intentions, and positive or negative "energies," if you will. Once again, bare with me. I'm no animal expert, or "Jedi Mind trick" expert, so this is going to sound retarded. Anyways, dogs do not rely on rational thought like we do; so their way of survival is instinct. Part of their instinct is to recognize the emotion and "intent" of the other animals. This is an important survival tool for many animals.

This instinct can work for against a victim. Example: If the victim is afraid, waiving the hands or yelling will only provoke as opposed to scare; the dog will sense the fear. However, we can use this instinct to our advantage as well.

To use the dogs ability to recognize intent to your advantage, try creating a picture in your head of exactly what action (or non-action) you want the dog to take, and focus on projecting that image to the animal when you give it a command. No, I don't believe the dog will read your mind, but it will recognise your intent (emotions, "energies") and it will be more apt to follow your commands.

Example: My girlfriends roomate has 2 huge and undisaplined dogs. If the dog has my shoe in it's mouth, and I worriedly think about the dog chewing my shoe to bits while I tell him "NO!", the dog will continue to try to chew my shoe until I take it. If I picture the dog dropping my shoe while I calmly but sternly tell it to put down the shoe, it more often then not listens.

This has worked on more then one occasion, with more then one kind of animal.

So, when I am attacked or in danger of an attack by a dog (which has happend more then once to me) I picture the dog being my friend. In the back of my mind, however, I am ready to fight any animal to the death if it comes to that. I really believe that the animal can sense my intentions and will more likely then not pick another victim.

So, try adding this to whatever "technique" you try. By picturing what you want to happend in your mind, you will be distracted from other negative emotions (like fear), and the animal will be more apt to recognize your intent.

Sorry for the ramble!

:cool:

Paul,

Thanks for letting me know, I am not the only one who believes that animals 'see' or 'feel' our intentions. When I have had to deal with dogs in general, I pictured their deaths at my hands and walked confidently towards them or slowly back facing them. The direction being the direction I wanted to go in the first place. I have used the calm action in the mind also with dogs that were just in need of discipline.

As you say it is 'A' technique that one can add to the list of things they may try.

Good Luck all

Rich
:)

L

LanceWildcat1

Yeah, after having 8 stitches in my head from a pit bull bite while running, I got a CCW(concealed carry permit)!! Nothing like a .45 slug to the head to stop an attack! If the dog is out and unleashed, the owner should be held responsible for any thing that the dog does. Most cities and towns now have laws that cover things like that. I was raised on a ranch, and the 'law of the land' was always, "If you catch a dog in your livestock, the law cover's your keester if you shoot and kill the animal." I don't hate dogs, I just believe that if you have one, be a responsible owner and protect yourself and other's from a bad problem. Scared animals will attack, and if not restained, can do damage or even kill.:mad:

T

theneuhauser

I got a CCW(concealed carry permit)!! Nothing like a .45 slug to the head to stop an attack!

the nra's not all bad. gotta love it out here in the wild, wild west.

L

LanceWildcat1

theneuhauser sez:
the nra's not all bad. gotta love it out here in the wild, wild west.

I agree, but don't say that in front of Rosie or a few folks in Congress!!! You might get an argument from those who claim that the Second Amendment doesn't give us the right to self protection by allowing us to 'keep and bear arms'. I am a proud member of the NRA, and I believe that this is one of very few organizations that fight for the Second Amendment rights.
:soapbox:

S

SolidTiger

Once I was walking home when a crazy looking dog came from nowhere I tried to be nice to the dog, but it seem like I just pissed
it off more. Then I could see that the dog was getting ready to attack so as soon as the dog cross the line I kick it straight in it's
nose and knocked it out,and the dog did the number two in the
middle of the street while it was laying down. I mean it was a lot
of it in the street.

Thank You

SolidTiger

"Sometimes you just got to do what you got to do"

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Bod
As for stuffing your hand down a dogs throat, Gou Ronin did say - "I can't even begin to explain why this guy is wrong." Which is probably why he hasn't.
I guess it might be wrong because the dog is only going to shake and shake, and that might change things a bit.

YOu go ahead and try it and then get back to us ok? It's always nice to have empirical evidence isn't it?