Do you still go to your class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm trying to. Actually, it's not a class, it's just about four of us who are left over from when I closed down my little class a year ago. But it's been really hard to get together. People keep cancelling out.

Personally, I'm more inclined to focus on Escrima right now. Maybe do some staff work. Wing Chun chi-sau is a little too much close contact, ya-know.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I wasn't currently feeling sick, I would.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to. Actually, it's not a class, it's just about four of us who are left over from when I closed down my little class a year ago. But it's been really hard to get together. People keep cancelling out.

Personally, I'm more inclined to focus on Escrima right now. Maybe do some staff work. Wing Chun chi-sau is a little too much close contact, ya-know.

It occurred to me today that this would be the perfect opportunity to break out the long poles.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only 2 cases here since Tuesday first one Tuesday second Wednesday none since both came off a flight from Italy (geniuses) though some clubs have panicked and closed down for now but I'm training whenever I can still but sorting out a home workout schedule just in case

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, had class this morning. I'm trying some different approaches to reduce the time spent sharing sweat until we know a bit more about the virus. No cases in our city yet, but they're creeping closer from both east and south, and my driving and flying makes me more likely to be exposed - don't want to share it if that happens. Today, I spent half the class working on stances via kata - looking at how the transitions work, what happens if you substitute a stance, etc. The other half was staff work, just teaching the staff kata, which I normally wouldn't teach this early, but it's fun and will give us stuff to work on at a distance.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so a general question to those who are taking this nonsense seriously

how long are you prepared to socially isolate ? and particularly not train ma

the virus is spreading extremely slowly, your looking at many months for it to reach its peak and then subside. the more governments and populations do to slow its spread the longer it will go on. are you prepared to still be doing this in July, august, September or will you quickly reach a point where you think, '' stuff this, im getting on with my life''

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so a general question to those who are taking this nonsense seriously

how long are you prepared to socially isolate ? and particularly not train ma

the virus is spreading extremely slowly, your looking at many months for it to reach its peak and then subside. the more governments and populations do to slow its spread the longer it will go on. are you prepared to still be doing this in July, august, September or will you quickly reach a point where you think, '' stuff this, im getting on with my life''

I shall carry on as normal, but luckily I am in good health, fit and strong with no underlying health problems, so if I do catch it, it hopefully will be like a case of man flu. I can understand the elderly, and those with underlying health problems being cautious, but I saw a woman in her late 20's early 30's with approx 7 or 8 large packs of bog rolls, even if you isolate for 14 days, and have 3 kids, thats ridiculous.
Honestly, the general population of the UK at present, are whining snowflakes, the Canadians must wet themselves laughing, when they see the news clips, about Britain being closed due to 2 inches of snow.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I shall carry on as normal, but luckily I am in good health, fit and strong with no underlying health problems, so if I do catch it, it hopefully will be like a case of man flu. I can understand the elderly, and those with underlying health problems being cautious, but I saw a woman in her late 20's early 30's with approx 7 or 8 large packs of bog rolls, even if you isolate for 14 days, and have 3 kids, thats ridiculous.
Honestly, the general population of the UK at present, are whining snowflakes, the Canadians must wet themselves laughing, when they see the news clips, about Britain being closed due to 2 inches of snow.
agree, but my point is as much as there is panic, people cant sustain it mentally or practically for very long, this isn't a 14 day isolation away from being resolved, once you have a house full of bog roll and pasta, you still have to go out, only the very fortunate can skip work till Christmas

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the general population of the UK at present, are whining snowflakes, t

Well, only a certain proportion, if you could look at all the veteran sites on the internet you will find the blackest jokes going. A lot of the 'panic' is media, ie the red tops, induced. There is also a lot of stuff on the internet with people organising help for the elderly if they have to be isolated as well as pleas for people to use the small businesses rather than the large ones who can take the hit economically.

I've been through an epidemic in the UK where the roads were guarded by the police to make sure no one went out or in the city, it wasn't pleasant though people didn't have to isolate, typhoid isn't caught the same way. If isolation is brought in too soon, those who feel well will soon break that isolation because it cannot be endured for weeks and weeks mentally. A popular political complaint here is how people are treated in prison, ie 'they have televisions, food, luxuries etc so aren't being properly punished but the truth is if you can't leave when you want to, can't go down the pub, can't go for a walk in the countryside, or pop along to see a film or relatives and friends etc etc then that loss of freedom is immense and many people are likely to find that out quite soon. I'll be fine, I have food, gin and loads of wool for knitting, I don't work now and have space in the house for my kick bags and to do kata. I have a very nice garden and a great view out. :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Until the cure of COVID-19 has been developed. Is that a reasonable assumption?
well that is quite possibly forever, they havent found a cure for most other viruses, certainly not for flu, which kills half a million or so a year every year, i doubt that a cure for this one will apear before it dies out of its own occord

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll be fine, I have food, gin and loads of wool for knitting, I don't work now and have space in the house for my kick bags and to do kata. I have a very nice garden and a great view out. :)

Ahhh, paradise :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions