Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

• Yes, I can trace my training lineage back to the founder.

• Well, I am vaguely aware about some of the people who taught my instructor(s).

• No, but I would like to know.

• Who cares? I am only interested in my training under my current instructor(s).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Dual Line

I am sooooo confused. All I know is I got a great foundation in the Iron Worker school vis a vis Sigung Labounty, Gary Swan, Brian Duffy ... then entered the Watchmaker phase. But boy it took a long time for me to transition, and there is still something to be said for focusing on the Ironworker school of "punch their heart out", I just don't remember if applied to the opponent, or the number of reps we had to do.
Your right Iron working is awesome but the watch maker only extends the Only the minmum amount of energy required to subdue the opponent(and keeps on ticking), and the phillosopher chooses his battles wisely. There is a lot to be said for the yin side of the art.
Sean (www.iemat.com)

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Your right Iron working is awesome but the watch maker only extends the Only the minmum amount of energy required to subdue the opponent(and keeps on ticking), and the phillosopher chooses his battles wisely. There is a lot to be said for the yin side of the art.
Sean (www.iemat.com)

You can stick to making your watches, pounding on metal, and philosophical nuggets of joy... Sometimes you just gotta kick the YANG out of someone. :rolleyes:

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah
Mr. Don Smith who trained originally with Jim Mitchell and Curt Cokely, then Mr. Smith trained with Mike Pick, and then went on to train with Mr. Parker.

K

kenpoangel

My first, the one, and my only,

Master Larry Tatum.

As they say in my favorite television show, "In the end...there can be only one" and I've found mine.

The best, 'hey what's this place' "mistake" I've ever made.

Thank you for all you've brought to me and to my family, sir,

Angela
:asian:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
RCastillo said:
plus a few others that have slipped my memory...

However, I own Texas now, and sit nicely on my throne as I survey my Kingdom. :supcool:

Looks to me like more than a few others have slipped your memory...lol.

R

RCastillo

Goldendragon7 said:
Awwwwww Jason... now you've done it! You blew his visions of grandeur! Now you've reminded him of his Texas competition!

:uhyeah:

The Arizona Diamondback, and the Houstonian putting a squeeze play on me? :mad:

R

RCastillo

jbkenpo said:
Looks to me like more than a few others have slipped your memory...lol.

Listen here now!

I just got through watching George Foreman on "Beyond the Glory," and you picking on this old man.(me)

I am motivated! Don't make me come outta retirement, Bro! :boxing:

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
RCastillo said:
Listen here now!

I just got through watching George Foreman on "Beyond the Glory," and you picking on this old man.(me)

I am motivated! Don't make me come outta retirement, Bro! :boxing:

I guess Chapel isn't the only one in the home. You'd better watch out... I hear he's checkin' out your nurse. If I were you I'd brush up on my cane techniques and whip his butt... According to him the nurses there are awesome to behold! (Who said being old was a bad thing, eh?)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
I guess Chapel isn't the only one in the home. You'd better watch out... I hear he's checkin' out your nurse. According to him the nurses there are awesome to behold! (Who said being old was a bad thing, eh?)

I hope he is keeping a room close by open for me!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:

Hell no. There are only so many nurses to go around. (Especially the niiiiiice ones :))

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:

Dennis,

You've gotta stop walking around Doc's wing in that white dress... It's starting to confuse him!

:lol:

Doc said:
Hell no. There are only so many nurses to go around. (Especially the niiiiiice ones :) )

Pretty soon people are gunna start harrassing you about you definition of "niiiiiice". This is a Kenpo board, remember?

:supcool:

K

Kenpo_Chick

I"m not too sure on all the way back but I do know that our style orignated from Ed Parker. HOwever the man who teaches teh modernised form of Kenpo is called Larry Tatum who is alive and in America SOMEWHERE!!! (I believe Pasadona???) We're trying to get Larry over to NZ but it costs big $$$. It would be interesting to see his mentality behind our Style and where it has come from to be what it is today.

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo_Chick said:
I"m not too sure on all the way back but I do know that our style orignated from Ed Parker. HOwever the man who teaches teh modernised form of Kenpo is called Larry Tatum who is alive and in America SOMEWHERE!!! (I believe Pasadona???) We're trying to get Larry over to NZ but it costs big $$$. It would be interesting to see his mentality behind our Style and where it has come from to be what it is today.

How funny! He is in Pasadena, correct. You will be interested to know that there are a few Tatum loyals on this site defending to the end (so to speak). Just look at some of the avatars... and bio's. I am not one, but there are many.
:asian:

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello gents, been a while. Hopefully I will be able to post more frequently.

As far as my lineage; when I started 8 years ago my first instructor was Mr. Jim Mitchell, I have had many of Mr. Mitchells BB's teach me from the same school I first started in, currently I am being taught by Mr. Sturgess.

Michael

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is Bob Leonard, who is a 9th black under GM Al Tracy. Bob started with the Tracys at their first school in Northern California in the 60's, went to Viet Nam as an Army Ranger, then came back to be one of their instructors. He makes the journey worthwhile for many of us!