Since it was so inactive on the Tracy sun forum I asked here instead please

dream

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While I am a Gung fu practitioner, I want my son to learn in a class setting as he is young. I wanted him to learn self defense, the art, and drills with children his size or age as well.

I chose Kenpo karate because it is the best dojo in the area I found. The sensei cares about bout the art, how his teaching is a reflection of his own mastery, and the class sizes and way he conducts class with attention to detail for each child is so much different than the nonsense afterschool program the money hungry Japanese dojo.

Also, having Chinese and Japanese fusion of arts is fitting because I got my black belt in karate before moving permanently to Gung fu. So I really admire Kenpo as a system after seeing a lot of videos and the emphasis on drills and sparring. I like the fluidity of Kenpo in comparison to the other Japanese styles I studied in my youth

My son is at a Tracy lineage school so I wanted to know where I could find Tracy specific curriculum, syllabus and materials to help my son practice and develop at home while the school website is spruced up and we have access to the online videos

I would like to learn about the history, the Tracy lineage and any good information as I am genuinely interested and there is a lot of information about “controversy” and I’m not really aware of any of it . I just want to help my son be the best he can be and learn as well. If you have a good kenpo YT channel please lmk.

Thanks and please delete the other thread if you wish

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
One of the things about Kenpo is that many tend to have variations. My old Kenpo school was a Tracy's school but we had modified a lot of the techniques over the years and some of the forms had changed. The official Tracy material was nice as a reference but it couldn't act as a Bible for our school. So it will really matter how strict the material is to what the Tracy's codified in the 70s.

OP
D

dream

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank your reply, I think Kenpo is great , partially because it’s constantly evolving as people find effective applications. Great system

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would like to learn about the history,
One day a Kempo instructor walked into my school. He told me that he taught dragon, tiger, leopard, snake, crane. I told him that I taught Cha, Hua, Hong, Tang, Pao. I knew what he was talking about. He didn't know what I was talking about.

Not sure all Kempo schools teach dragon, tiger, leopard, snake, crane.

This is the main form that they teach. I believe Kempo came from the southern CMA Hong system

Last edited:

Latest Discussions