Do we eat too much?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I eat to much, lol, and need to drop about 10 pounds. :uhoh: I am still in relatively good shape though.

I read this article today: http://nymag.com/news/features/23169/

Extremely well written, but when he was describing the dinner party, I couldn't help but think, 'what a bunch of weirdo's!'

I certainly think that we shouldn't be food obsessed, and I don't think that anyone should go to the extremes that the people in the article seem to have gone too. But, considering that I will be reducing my own calories a bit to drop that little extra holiday fat, it got me thinking about us as a society.

It seems that most of us consume too many calories, and that most of us could use a little reduction. Particularly of empty calories.

Anyway, just thinking aloud and thought that some of you might want to discuss...

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we do. We eat for any number of reasons, not just because we're hungry. We eat because we're bored, or stressed, or to be social, or because we're upset.

I think that our food, because it's been processed, chemically treated and whatever else they do to it, doesn't have the same nutritional value that it once did so we need more for the same nutrition we used to get with less.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I stopped drink Coke..I dropped 10 lbs so fast I couldn't believe it..Now that the holidays are over most of the temptations are gone...If I get hungry after 6PM I grab a Special K bar or a banana...

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It divides into eating to much and eating wasted material.
I have heard of the studies of eating less about 1200-1500 cal a day.
Most people in the west eat a good amount of meat with very little veggies. On top of that people are consuming supplements based on fads and outer apperances. When we look at other countries we see longer lives in eastern and in the west we see shorter lives however if we compare an 80 year old western to an 80 year old eastern the functioning is different. We in the west eat 100% full those in the east eat 80% full
Those who set out to seek immortality as hermits ate less and less and according to legends lived off dew and mist but those are just stories how much truth is in it is up to your belief.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When we look at other countries we see longer lives in eastern and in the west we see shorter lives however if we compare an 80 year old western to an 80 year old eastern the functioning is different.

See, I wonder how true that actually is (I have heard the same thing, btw) or if that is BS. I wonder if any studies have been done or if there is evidence to back up the notion?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's interesting to see the extremes to which people will go in order to avoid putting on a pair of shoes and going running. At some point it seems like they are actually doing more work than they would be doing at the gym.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The article did state that if getting the essential nutrients the body needs then this diet hasn't shown to be detrimental to people. However it depends on what the body is doing or has been doing or is going to do. If it's the typical office type worker then the needs are typically less than say a construction worker whose level of physical activity is higher.
Or take two office workers with different (after-hours) lifestyles. One worker may just be in their office the whole day and then go home and relax watching their favorite round of shows for that particular night, then go to bed. The other might be a martial artist who goes to class two or three times a week and thus has more caloric needs because of a higher physical level of activity.
Thus both need to eat accordingly.
The starvation diet if not monitored correctly can lead to eating disorders. These folks are what I call extremists. There all types in our society doing all types of extreme things. This is just one of those types. There are healthier ways to lose weight. But as long as one attends to the body's nutritional needs then I think it's okay. Just got to stay on top of it and not the other away around.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
See, I wonder how true that actually is (I have heard the same thing, btw) or if that is BS. I wonder if any studies have been done or if there is evidence to back up the notion?

The Okinawan program study but I think it was more about books being published than a good study. But again let us be fair at looking at a Japanese life style and an American lifestyle. The Japanese tend to work high stress jobs sometimes leaving at 7am and returning home at 9pm.
The enviroment in Tokyo could be compared to New york I suppose.
The average Japanese does not take nor are there many supplement shops. Yet on average they live longer. And majority of them at advance age are still able to complete tasks at hand.

When we look at American life style yes the 7-9 job may apply the enviroment may be as bad as Tokyo or New york. The average American for the most part takes some sort of supplement on a regular basis. Most Americans at the age of 50 on are not as fit as their eastern counter parts. So if the grounds are equal as far as 1. stress load with enviromental factors 2. Genes 3. life style. The determing factor in why the east lives longer seems to be in their diet.
Example we in America are told to consume the "5 a day" but on the account of Japanese and Okinawans the average would be at least 9.

I feel the Okinawans and they Okinawan study falls short because we all do not live on an island however we mostly live in a suburb or a city which is why the Japanese make a good module.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i eat a whole lot, but the best way to lose weight is to eat more as long as you are eating the right stuff and in the right portions. say you diet calls for 2500 calories in a day, it is much better to spread those calories 6 smaller meals than to cram them into 3 larger meals. the smaller meals and more calories keep your metabolism running on a even plane throughout the day meaning it is more effecient and you lose more weight. like ive said also in many other posts protein, fat and carbs are essential to a healthy diet and healthy weight loss

B

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Way to much consumption of edibles. We are a society of glutenous individuals. So, so sad.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a question, what is considered to much? lets say some one is on a healthy diet consisting of good food, whole grain, veggies meats, no sweets or cokes or anything of that nature. With that being said what is considered to much? calorie wise, is it 2500, or 3000 or what? please let me know, becuase Ive been told a lot by many people that I eat to many, but Im losing weight

B

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question, what is considered to much? lets say some one is on a healthy diet consisting of good food, whole grain, veggies meats, no sweets or cokes or anything of that nature. With that being said what is considered to much? calorie wise, is it 2500, or 3000 or what? please let me know, becuase Ive been told a lot by many people that I eat to many, but Im losing weight

B
Once you get past all the hype and crap so-called experts spout -- the bottom line is that your body is kind of like a bucket, with a hole in it. If you pour water in faster than it can drain out, you'll fill (or overfill) the bucket. If you pour water in just as fast as it drains, you'll the bucket will never fill nor empty. If you pour water in slower than the water can drain out, the bucket will empty.

Well -- the same thing happens in your body. If you add calories (in the form of food) faster than you burn them, you gain weight; if you put less in than you use, you gain weight. You can control the size of the hole in your "bucket" by exercise & activity. (Yes, there is a genetic component to your metabolism; there's not much you can do about it.) If, in the course of your daily life and exercise, you're burning more calories than you consume, you're going to lose weight. If you eat more -- you'll gain weight. That's why a professional athlete can literally eat a horse, and not be overweight, while an office worker eating the same will soon be the size of a house.

Of course, the analogy is simplistic. Things like your overall health also can be a factor. If your concerned about your weight -- especially if it's not responding the way you think it should to the combination of your diet and exercise -- discuss it with your doctor.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score

B

The simple formula for "too much" is consuming more calories then you use in a given day often enough to where you have a "caloric debt," causing excessive fat storage and other health problems. The actual number of calories will vary per person depending on genetics, activity, metabolism, and so on.

There are of course two elements here. 1 is actual number of calories. 2 is the content of those calories and being nutritionally balanced. Getting enough vitamins, and having the proper ratio of carbs, fats, and protiens. The theory behind caloric reduction, organic diets, and so forth, is that you slam more nutrition per calorie then what the average American normally eats, and can then sustain with less calories, keeping fat off having less impact on your digestive system, causing better hormonal balance, and so on. The theory also is that our diets today are nutritionally defunct due to processing and preserving methods, as compared to even 50 or 100 years ago, and we therefore eat more to compensate. This leads to obesity and greater incidence of disease in old age.

That is the theory anyway. I think that there is something too it, but I also think that going to the extreme as expressed in the article is ridicules. You have to have balance...

:)

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once you get past all the hype and crap so-called experts spout -- the bottom line is that your body is kind of like a bucket, with a hole in it. If you pour water in faster than it can drain out, you'll fill (or overfill) the bucket. If you pour water in just as fast as it drains, you'll the bucket will never fill nor empty. If you pour water in slower than the water can drain out, the bucket will empty.

Well -- the same thing happens in your body. If you add calories (in the form of food) faster than you burn them, you gain weight; if you put less in than you use, you gain weight. You can control the size of the hole in your "bucket" by exercise & activity. (Yes, there is a genetic component to your metabolism; there's not much you can do about it.) If, in the course of your daily life and exercise, you're burning more calories than you consume, you're going to lose weight. If you eat more -- you'll gain weight. That's why a professional athlete can literally eat a horse, and not be overweight, while an office worker eating the same will soon be the size of a house.

Of course, the analogy is simplistic. Things like your overall health also can be a factor. If your concerned about your weight -- especially if it's not responding the way you think it should to the combination of your diet and exercise -- discuss it with your doctor.
this is the general conception that people have, eat more gain weight, eat less lose weight. But every nutritionist Ive talked to tell me its not that simple, in fact you need to eat more food (not gorge yourself they dont say that, but to eat you meal balance with a certain amount of protein, carbs and fat). By eating more food, you are fueling your metabolism that will in turn burn more fat from your body than by simply cutting back on you intake. I eat anywhere between 4000 - 4500 calorie in a day, but at the same time im 6'4" 248lbs (was 260lbs) I eat all this and am still managing to lose weight. People will argue that Im eating less than i was before I started working out and Ill say they are wrong, my appetite is through the roof and I actually have to make myself not eat every time Im hungry so I can maintain a somewhat constan intake of calories a day. The only reason Im say all this is because Im trying to find some answer as to why everyone is being told something different

B

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Different people will react differently to changes in diet and activity. The guidelines provided by nutritionists are just that - guidelines. They are not hard and fast rules, because each individual is different.

As far as the type of food - the less processed food items are, in general, the greater the nutritional content, the greater the fiber content, the fuller you will feel when you eat it - and the greater the amount of energy your body will need to process it. There are exceptions to everything, and this is a gross oversimplification - but highly processed foods tend to have higher calorie content per volume, greater amounts of fat and sugar, more preservatives, less fiber, and leave you feeling less full (the same calories provide less mass to fill you up) - and if you get used to eating foods high in fat and calories you are more likely to crave such foods. Given that many convenience foods are highly processed, that makes it way too easy to eat - and overeat - the very foods we should eat in small portions, if at all.

If you are truly concerned about your caloric intake and weight loss, or want to maximize it, talk to a nutritionist or dietician. We can only suggest - you need a professional for specific, personal advice.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this is the general conception that people have, eat more gain weight, eat less lose weight. But every nutritionist Ive talked to tell me its not that simple, in fact you need to eat more food (not gorge yourself they dont say that, but to eat you meal balance with a certain amount of protein, carbs and fat). By eating more food, you are fueling your metabolism that will in turn burn more fat from your body than by simply cutting back on you intake. I eat anywhere between 4000 - 4500 calorie in a day, but at the same time im 6'4" 248lbs (was 260lbs) I eat all this and am still managing to lose weight. People will argue that Im eating less than i was before I started working out and Ill say they are wrong, my appetite is through the roof and I actually have to make myself not eat every time Im hungry so I can maintain a somewhat constan intake of calories a day. The only reason Im say all this is because Im trying to find some answer as to why everyone is being told something different

B

I have no doubt that you were told that cutting calories is not needed for weight loss. That is because people don't want to hear the simple answers; which is simply that eating less and exercising more is what will make you lose weight.

But, it really is that simple. If you consistantly burn more calories a day then you eat, you lose weight. If you conistantly consume more calories a day then you burn, you gain. Keep it balanced, and you stay the same.

People, particularly weight loss experts, dieticians, diet programs, etc., all want to make it harder then what it is.

http://weightloss.about.com/od/backtobasics/a/blcalreal.htm

Now, that said, there are a lot of different ways to consume less calories then burned; and that is where the different programs come in. You can change diet, change exercise habits, eat less carbs, or eat less fat, eat more frequent meals per day, eat less frequent meals per day, etc. The only thing that needs to stay consistant is that you need to consume ample water, vitamins/minerals/fiber, and protien in order to stay healthy. The rest is up to you.

What you are talking about is probably eating more frequently during the day to raise you metabolism. However, because your metabolism is raised by frequent meals (5-8 meals), you are actually burning more calories then you would eating 3 meals a day. However, I conject that you may be eating less calories then you were previously, and you don't even know it, because you are eating smaller frequent meals and concious of what you eat. People who don't think about it and eat 2-3 big meals generally consume more then those who are conscious about diet and eating more often...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no doubt that you were told that cutting calories is not needed for weight loss. That is because people don't want to hear the simple answers; which is simply that eating less and exercising more is what will make you lose weight.

But, it really is that simple. If you consistantly burn more calories a day then you eat, you lose weight. If you conistantly consume more calories a day then you burn, you gain. Keep it balanced, and you stay the same.

People, particularly weight loss experts, dieticians, diet programs, etc., all want to make it harder then what it is.

http://weightloss.about.com/od/backtobasics/a/blcalreal.htm

Now, that said, there are a lot of different ways to consume less calories then burned; and that is where the different programs come in. You can change diet, change exercise habits, eat less carbs, or eat less fat, eat more frequent meals per day, eat less frequent meals per day, etc. The only thing that needs to stay consistant is that you need to consume ample water, vitamins/minerals/fiber, and protien in order to stay healthy. The rest is up to you.

What you are talking about is probably eating more frequently during the day to raise you metabolism. However, because your metabolism is raised by frequent meals (5-8 meals), you are actually burning more calories then you would eating 3 meals a day. However, I conject that you may be eating less calories then you were previously, and you don't even know it, because you are eating smaller frequent meals and concious of what you eat. People who don't think about it and eat 2-3 big meals generally consume more then those who are conscious about diet and eating more often...

You know I talk to people daily who say they want to lose weight. I always tell them eat less and exercise more.
icon14.gif
Over time quite a few have listened and are losing weight.
icon6.gif
It really is simple folks!