Healthy Eating and Living

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The most efficient way to do aerobic is to do it first thing in the morning. Your body has depleted considerable glycogen after a night of sleep. Hence you can get into fat burning mode faster. During the rest of the day your body has a glycogen reserve that takes about 30 minutes to deplete. Hence if you do aerobics in the evening, for example, you have to go beyond 30 minutes before you start burning fat. But that time, most heavysets would be tired and quit, lol. Hence they never got to burning fat. Worse yet, now they go back to refeed.

OP
E

edhead2000

Black Bear said:
What did you think of Atkin's?
I tried it back in January for about 2 weeks and it made me sick. I tried it again this past week and same thing. I was talking to my pharmacist at work and he said that was typical as your body adjusts to not receiving as many carbs. Well, needless to say, I stopped it again. I can't stand being sick and I really have no time for it. Last fall my doctor prescribed a low-carb diet including meat, fish, vegetables, fruit (excluding bananas and grapes), dairy products (including skim milk), and only whole grain, low sugar, high fiber cereal (I ate mainly cheerios, chex, shredded wheat, etc.). It was a lot better than Atkin's but my weight loss wasn't as fast (which is a good thing, I'm just impatient).

I'm not saying that low carb diets are the best or anything. However, I have a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome. I know a lot of people aren't familiar with this, so I'll just give a quick overview. From the name you'd probably assume that it's just basically a gynecological condition, which is only about 3/4 right. There's also a huge endocrine/metabolic side that is often overlooked. The main problem is that the pancreas in these individuals (including myself) is insulin resistance. This occurs when the body doesn't respond properly to insulin and ends up producing too much insulin to overcompensate. Insulin is used to mobilize glucose into the cells so the cells can use it as energy. Since the body doesn't respond very effectively to insulin, this can also affect glucose metabolism leading to high plasma glucose levels. The only way to get glucose is to ingest it (in the form of carbs). Therefore, the more carbs I eat the more problems I have with glucose and insulin. This is the rationale behind PCOS and low carbohydrate diets. So, in this situation, low carb diets can really be helpful. Let me know what your nutrition book says about low carb diets, JF!

So, that's the reason why I need to stay on a relatively low carb diet. But I've found that my body needs more than 20 g. So I'm planning on tweaking it a little to allow myself to have some more carbs.

BTW, your Eisenhower quote rocks. I noticed it before at www.costofwar.com
That website really makes you think about where the government's priorities are.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

KennethKu said:
The most efficient way to do aerobic is to do it first thing in the morning. Your body has depleted considerable glycogen after a night of sleep. Hence you can get into fat burning mode faster. During the rest of the day your body has a glycogen reserve that takes about 30 minutes to deplete. Hence if you do aerobics in the evening, for example, you have to go beyond 30 minutes before you start burning fat. But that time, most heavysets would be tired and quit, lol. Hence they never got to burning fat. Worse yet, now they go back to refeed.
That's some very interesting information, lol sadly I'm not exactly a morning person. It takes a lot for me to get out of bed any earlier then absolutely necessary before I get ready for work. Bit of a zombie I am in the morning.

Luckily I do over an hour of aerobic workout when I go to the gym so I may not be getting as much a benifit but still some all the same.

Dot

P.S. I'd like to thank everyone that has responded there is some very interesting information here. :bow:

OP
B

Black Bear

Kenneth Ku is correct as far as fat-burning goes. If your objective is not fat-burning, then you do your cardio after you have had a chance to put some calories in you. Say between 3PM and 9PM. But I had a friend who was trying to lose some weight. Early morning jogs did wonders. He gave the same reasoning.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Black Bear said:
Kenneth Ku is correct as far as fat-burning goes. If your objective is not fat-burning, then you do your cardio after you have had a chance to put some calories in you. Say between 3PM and 9PM. But I had a friend who was trying to lose some weight. Early morning jogs did wonders. He gave the same reasoning.
Something to seriously think about and consider. May not do the jogging thing, but if the benifits are that good. Something else may be arranged.

Dot

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since we are on the subject of healthy eating ect.; I'd like to get a few opinions on questions I have.

How does breakfast change things?
I drink a glass of OJ and a bottle of Coke every workday morning. I don't eat anything.

How can diets and exercise regimes be changed to help people who have rapidly adjusting metabolisms?
I've tried rigorous exercise routines, consistant exercise routines, extreme diets and gradual diets, but all of them only work for a short time. Everyone with a background in nutritian tells me it's because my metabolism adjusts to new situations faster than most people.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
How can diets and exercise regimes be changed to help people who have rapidly adjusting metabolisms?
I've tried rigorous exercise routines, consistant exercise routines, extreme diets and gradual diets, but all of them only work for a short time. Everyone with a background in nutritian tells me it's because my metabolism adjusts to new situations faster than most people.

The only thing that I can offer (MY OPINION IS) maybe you need to try and trick your metabolism into working for you. (MY OPINION IS) You might need to change your diet, exercise, regimine, all of your training on a regular basis. This way your metabolism doesn't get a chance to adjust to the same 'ole same 'ole. :asian:

Of course the above statement is my opinion and mine alone.

OP
E

edhead2000

jfarnsworth said:
The only thing that I can offer (MY OPINION IS) maybe you need to try and trick your metabolism into working for you. (MY OPINION IS) You might need to change your diet, exercise, regimine, all of your training on a regular basis. This way your metabolism doesn't get a chance to adjust to the same 'ole same 'ole. :asian:

Of course the above statement is my opinion and mine alone.
I need to trick mine into speeding up......way up......how would I do that?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
edhead2000 said:
Ok, Dot and I are both trying to lose weight, which is not as easy as it seems...snip...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.F. Chang's is an excellent chain, and growing around the country. My wife and I ate there this weekend. The food is superb.

They have a "training table" menu (in addition to the regular one), and this special item selection offers high carb or low carb/high protein fare...depending on what you're going for.

Meals are served with steamed rice and brown rice. Really GOOD brown rice. There is a selection of green teas for your anti-oxidants. Eating healthy is a piece of cake at this place...WAIT...piece of cake...I forgot a pitfall at P.F. Chang's. Note the following!

WARNING: The desserts will kill you. Perhaps literally. I ordered chocolate cake, and they came out with this piece that was about a foot long...FIVE layers...the icing layered on an inch and a half think. For you metrically oriented Europeans, think...well....huge. It lay in a bed of strawberry juice with a scoop of fresh fruit. I ate a fifth of it, and we took the rest home.

Skip the dessert and you're fine.

Most places we go to will make a lot of stuff "no oil" or little oil. Ask. The more expensive restaurants will work with you and they often make some excellent stuff that is in accordance with certain types of diets.

Eating healthy while eating out isn't all that hard provided you have will power. It can be very tough to pass up those old favorites in the restaurant you've been frequenting for years.

Regards,

Steve

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Since we are on the subject of healthy eating ect.; I'd like to get a few opinions on questions I have.

I drink a glass of OJ and a bottle of Coke every workday morning. I don't eat anything.

Coke for breakfast? LMAO. You gotta be kidding me.

One should learn about "living healthy" with the same dedication one pursues MA. Instead of listening about bits and pieces from Joe, Moe and Curly over the net, it would be more productive to get a nutrition textbook and starts with the fundamental.

It wasn't b/c your metabolism adjusting too fast, it was b/c your programs sucked. lol

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you care about your health, don't eat at Chinese restaurants. I have worked at Chinese restaurants before. I wouldn't feed those @$%*& to rats. Hygene is an alien concept when it comes to Chinese restaurant cooking. It isn't a racist thing. Rather it is a business ethic problem. I know for a fact that the food is routinelytasted by the cooks/chefs, using utensils that are dipped right back into cooking or serving the food. Meat and veggie are NOT washed. Workers don't wash their hands. Food (cooked or raw) if dropped onto the floor is picked up and NOT cleaned, let alone disposed. Even customer leftover is routinely recovered and served to other customers.

lol So, there you go. Inside scoop on the food business. Eating healthy you say? LOL. RIGHTTTTTTT.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KennethKu said:
Coke for breakfast? LMAO. You gotta be kidding me.

One should learn about "living healthy" with the same dedication one pursues MA. Instead of listening about bits and pieces from Joe, Moe and Curly over the net, it would be more productive to get a nutrition textbook and starts with the fundamental.

It wasn't b/c your metabolism adjusting too fast, it was b/c your programs sucked. lol

I was trying to illustrate a current habit that needs to be resolved not something that I suggest others do. The coke is for caffine, because I can't stand coffee and the question was for someone that is going to give me advice other than "your programs sucked", which just shows me that certain people miss the constructive part of constructive criticism. It also shows me who is not worth paying attention to when I ask for advise on this fora. You don't even know what my "programs" are.

Consequently, nutrition books are good for toilet paper and that's about it. There is one written per month and all of them disaree, not to mention the suseptability to fads and skewed data. Just because it is in print doesn't mean it's true. Have you seen the crap that gets printed in this country. They never can agree on the positives of diet only the negatives. Soon every food will be labeled "unhealthy". The truth is I don't buy much into "programs" because they don't match all lifestyles or body types. I do adhere to concepts, which is what I am inquiring about.

By the way which one are you Kenneth; Moe, Larry or Curly.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
originally posted by OULobo

To answer your question about breakfast: Yes it is important, very important. Look at it this way, what time at night do you eat your last meal and what time do you eat your meal the next day? If you eat at 9-10pm after MA practice and don't eat until Noon, that's a long time that your body needs to metabolize something. After you metabolize the food, you start to cannabalize yourself.

Your metabolism slows down because the body has learned that it will not get food for a long time. So what do you need to eat for breakfast? That is up to you but here are my suggestions: healthy cereal, no marsmallows or chocolate, a spinach or broccoli omelette, a smoothie, and even carnation instant breakfast is better than a glass of OJ. If you absolutely need caffeine in the morning, try green tea. It's not as high in caffeine but it is high in anti-oxidants. A muuch healthier choice.

With the problems you are having with your diets may be they are changing too much. A lot of crash diets, etc will tear up your metabolism fast. Lifestyle change is going to do more for you than any diet.

If it is cost effective for you go see a nutrtionist or registered dietician. They can help you with some better suggestions for breakfast and all the other meals for the day.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jkn75 said:
To answer your question about breakfast: Yes it is important, very important. Look at it this way, what time at night do you eat your last meal and what time do you eat your meal the next day? If you eat at 9-10pm after MA practice and don't eat until Noon, that's a long time that your body needs to metabolize something. After you metabolize the food, you start to cannabalize yourself.

Your metabolism slows down because the body has learned that it will not get food for a long time. So what do you need to eat for breakfast? That is up to you but here are my suggestions: healthy cereal, no marsmallows or chocolate, a spinach or broccoli omelette, a smoothie, and even carnation instant breakfast is better than a glass of OJ. If you absolutely need caffeine in the morning, try green tea. It's not as high in caffeine but it is high in anti-oxidants. A muuch healthier choice.

With the problems you are having with your diets may be they are changing too much. A lot of crash diets, etc will tear up your metabolism fast. Lifestyle change is going to do more for you than any diet.

If it is cost effective for you go see a nutrtionist or registered dietician. They can help you with some better suggestions for breakfast and all the other meals for the day.

Thanks jkn75 (and jfarnsworth). That's a little more like what I was looking for. Your answer leads me to another question. If I eat dinner at 6:00pm, then I go train, then I return and hit the sack, I don't eat again until noon the next day, aren't I burning fat reserve calories the whole morning when my colories from dinner (and morning OJ and Coke [only 150cal.]) burn out? I was told that the OJ was a good idea because the sugar burns fast, but activates my metabolism for the rest of the day; essentially ending the metablolic stasis of slumber and beginning the higher energy matabolic state of daily activity. The arguments I find are that the OJ isn't enough to kick in the daily burn and the lack of food will cause permenantly slow metabolism (sounds like what you are saying) and intense hunger (doesn't seem to hit me, so supports slow metabolism idea).

Here comes a devil's advocate / rationalization question. What is the real unhealthyness of "empty calories"? I have again, been told that things like Coke are "bad" because they are "empty calories". This is because they hold an amount of colories that have no benefit in other nutritional areas, like vitamins, protein, antioxidents, ect. If this is true, then it really isn't that bad, because the amount of colories is low and as a simple sugar, burns of fast and first. If I drink a Coke in the morning I get the caffine (the real reason I drink it, besides the comfort level) and a low amount of calories, verses a "real" breakfast where I take in more of the other nutritional necessities, but a ton of extra calories. Fire away.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score

Anyone who knows me IRL knows that I'm no where near the model physique of health. I do, however, have some info on this.

I've been trying to lose some weight gradually (with little success). So, I had my doctor point me to a nutritionist. He even gave me a recommendation (read: Prescription) for it. So I went. I must admit, these people have some racket. /nod. Don't get me wrong, the lady was very pleasant to talk to, but she told me nothing that I wouldn't hear in a high school health and nutrition class. 99% of the information she offered, IMO, was worthless. To top if off, my insurance would not cover it (which was unexpected since it was a visit recommended by my physician).

The 1% I did glean however, has been somewhat helpful. Milk. Milk IS good. She gave me some statistics and breakdowns on the contents of milk, which is exceptionally healthy for it's caloric content. She said skim is best, but 1% is ok (I couldn't choke down skim.. it's just nasty).

1 20oz glass of 1% milk is:
~110 calories
90% of the Daily Calcium req
82% of the daily Riboflavin req
33% of the daily Potassium req
60% of the daily Phosphorous req
48% of the daily Protien req (lean)
30% of the daily Niacin req
30% of the daily Vitamin A req
75% of the daily Vitamin D req
39% of the daily Vitamin B-12 req
24% of the daily Magnesium req
36g of dietary carbs

and it's 90% water...

Been trying to drink one good size glass before I leave for work, and one when i get home. Not sure if it's helping or not, but it's not hurting.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
KennethKu said:
If you care about your health, don't eat at Chinese restaurants. I have worked at Chinese restaurants before. I wouldn't feed those @$%*& to rats. Hygene is an alien concept when it comes to Chinese restaurant cooking. It isn't a racist thing. Rather it is a business ethic problem. I know for a fact that the food is routinelytasted by the cooks/chefs, using utensils that are dipped right back into cooking or serving the food. Meat and veggie are NOT washed. Workers don't wash their hands. Food (cooked or raw) if dropped onto the floor is picked up and NOT cleaned, let alone disposed. Even customer leftover is routinely recovered and served to other customers.

lol So, there you go. Inside scoop on the food business. Eating healthy you say? LOL. RIGHTTTTTTT.
It depends on where you go.

As for eating healthy you should seriously try going vegitarian or at least sort of vegitarian. I have lost a fair amount of weight lately and I eat in a manner that you Atkinson people would think is crazy. Think about this. Mashed potatoes and pasta and a fair amount of other high carb stuff. I also eat dessert which I suppose I should cut back on abit but I'm lossing weight and not carring that much.
Be warned though if anybody here decides to try being a vegitarian to loss weight or anything you have to be carefull about getting enough protein and stuff so you may want to look into it abit first. of course I'm kind of not really expecting people to try this because well people love meat.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
someguy said:
of course I'm kind of not really expecting people to try this because well people love meat.

That's always been my problem with vegitarian diets.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You got to give to get and I give up meat and weight but get plenty of good foods better health and lots of dessert so I'd say dessert > meat any day.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Thanks jkn75 (and jfarnsworth). That's a little more like what I was looking for. Your answer leads me to another question. If I eat dinner at 6:00pm, then I go train, then I return and hit the sack, I don't eat again until noon the next day

I'm starting to like the topic again :) . I would like to share with you what I did today. Keep in mind this is just my daily activity and I found this to work for my needs.
Wake up at 4:20am. In the gym and lifting by 5:30 and done at about 6:50. Breakfast if at 7:10 usually consists of 2 or 3 eggs in a sandwhich. Today I had roughly 10-12oz. of cottage cheese and peaches & always with a protein drink. Snack at 9am. 1 banana and a granola bar. By 9 I will have consumed at least 40 oz. of water. 11 am. it's back to the gym for round 2. 11:45 I'm done and lunch is immediately after or ASAP. Today it was rice and a chicken breast plus water. Snack at round 2. 1 balance bar plus whatever I have in my desk drawer (usually some type of chex mix). Around 5:30 is dinner. Tonight was spaghetti w/ground chuck a salad and a protein drink. Before going to bed I'll eat something else maybe peanut butter crackers, peanuts & almonds, cottage cheese. This just happens to be my typical day. I have seen results in lowering my BF% plus gaining muscle mass. Again, I must say this is my routine that I've found works for me; not found in a mag. or book just trial and error with a lot of sweat. :asian:

OP
E

edhead2000

I'm not trying to be stupid or silly or anything, I just have some real questions.

One: Where is the gym? Do you have to drive back and forth from home and work?
Two: When do you shower? When I go to the gym I leave looking like I've just been dunked in a swimming pool. There's no way I would go anyway except the shower afterward.....that's been the biggest problem in trying to schedule time at the gym (scheduling it at a time when I can get back home and take a shower).
Three: What time do you go to sleep?

Latest Discussions