Do maiming and killing only work in SD?

Discussion in 'Security and Bouncers' started by Joab, Mar 8, 2010.

1. sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46 Senior Master

As a police officer for 14 years and a defensive tactics and use of force instructor, I should explain a thing or two about how police do that and why we are successful.

1) We use weapons.......we have Tasers, OC Spray, Batons.
    2) Most folks don't really want to fight the police, because they know they will go to jail longer, and we also have guns.
    3) We usually have superior numbers.

And even with those advantages, sometimes it still comes down to nearly beating a suspect in to submission, when they are truly motivated to fight. There are some tough folks out there, and not all of them are nice.

2. Shin71

Shin71 Yellow Belt

A friend of mine is a PPCT (Pressure Point and Control Tactics) instructor as a state police officer. He said that the pressure point stuff works better on passive resistors than active resistors but there are a lot of techniques out there that are designed to control someone without permanently injuring them. Army Combatives are different, they'll hurt ya.

3. Daniel Sullivan

Daniel Sullivan Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Way too late to edit, but that should read category one or two.

The above was catgory three. I scrambled my own numbers!

Sorry.

Daniel

4. derobec

derobec Orange Belt

Hi,

Well stated.

This is something which I've touched on in the past on this forum.
    Sure there is always going to be a legal issue with regards to defending ourselves against unprovoked attacks; there is also:

A serious health issue associated with not doing everything in our power to stop an attacker who is attempting to inflict violence on us.

A serious moral issue with regard to letting such an attacker escape while knowing full well that s/he is going to attack another person who maybe isn't as capable of looking after themselves. If we allow them to escape because we're afraid of defending ourselves in Court then we are as responsible as they are the next time they rape/mug/rob/beat an innocent person.

Just my personal thoughts, with respect,
    William

5. sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46 Senior Master

Your friend pretty well sums it up. Pressure points have very limited use. Quite often it can actually have the opposite effect, turning a passive resister to an active one.

I've found that pressure points only real application is to be struck to cause distraction and set up other techniques.

6. chinto

chinto Senior Master

OK folks lets get down to the nitty-gritty! the question is more, how dangerous is the treat? If its of imminent injury or death, then you better get very serious about dealing with this attacker! Let 12 on the jury worry about if it was legal or your Priest, Minister, Rabi, Emom or who ever on the moral end. You have been confronted with a weapon or some one who really wants to hurt you, then yes barring a weapon like a beanbag round, ( if you got a shot gun, and beanbag round, use it or buck shot! but only if its deadly.. I do not buy responding to name calling or what have you with a deadly weapon { hmm Portland Oregon cops shot a 12 year old girl with one under 5 feet away for not being cooperative} ) Other wise you better start hurting them first. so in that situation maiming or killing is provably going to be the way you survive. Nitty-Gritty at that point is SURVIVE! some one not being that kind of serious...no you probably do not need that. Oh on the cops not using that kind of force a lot, usually they have body armor, lots of cops, and they do shoot people and hit them with sticks and tazers and things to stop them... and use shotguns and pistols too.