Distraction during a fight

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
The flashy red flags that kung fu attaches to weapons are, I believe, supposed to distract the enemy while the blade is moving, having his mind in another place, removing his conscious mind, or his subconscious, from the fight.
However, does this not distract you from the fight as well? As you weild this weapon with its distraccting banner, is your attention, however unintentionally, not taken away from the fight somewhat as well?

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Although I haven't used these weapons specifically, I would suppose that training with them for prolonged periods would remove the distraction factor. That is, what would distract you at first becomes normal and commonplace, so you no longer worry about it. On an enemy not used to the flags, they could definitely help cause distraction leading to defeat.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I never focused on the sash, but then again I was never in a fight with using the da dow either.

I am assuming you are talking about the Da Dow (Broad sword) not the saber, since you are talking 'flag'.

Also if you use the broadsword and the sash does not affect the user, how is it going to affect the opponent if he/she is using the same sword?

And I no longer remember if the sash it there for distraction or decoration or actually used for another reason. I have seen a couple of real, antique swords and I do not remember a sash.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
truaspirer,

The "flags" or silks attached to Sabre or Broadsword are indeed intended to confuse and distract the opponent. Initially they do distract the user as you need to ensure that the hilt "leads" the movement otherwise the silks become tangled on the wrist and hand. Proper training in the orientation of the weapon makes sure that the silk does not become entangled. So there is a double use for the silks. Training the proper use of the wrist and weapon and confusing the opponent. It is the same use for the sash as talked about by Xue Xheng.

Best wishes

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Its interesting that red is used, ive also seen yellow. I have damage to my visual cortex inside my brain from a beating i sustained years ago and when i experience strong emotions i see colored lights, most prominently red, yellow and green.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The truth is that the "flag(s)" attached to the pommel of the sword is to be detached prior to combat (they were originally attached via a ring which could be quickly removed) and then, if you survive, used to wipe the blood from the blade before re-sheathing it.

Chinese swordsmanship has no "blood shaking" techniques such as one sees in iaido. And re-sheathing a blood-slimed blade leaves blood inside the scabbard as well as on the blade and htis cna eventually ruin the blade-

This is what my teacher, Master W.C. Chen, told me regarding the flags on swords.

Believe me, a good swordsman won't be distracted even vaguely by a flag...

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Still, to someone like me with the colors bleeding in and out amidst the fear im sure id feel the flag would distract my eye due to my condition. I also have siezures which antagonize the same sort of indicators, colored lights. Im no swordsman though..

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are we talking sashes from a 'Dao' or tassles from the 'Jen'?
My teacher said that the tassles could grip the opponents wrist when fighting close. I'm not so sure about this though, could be difficult?

At the end of the day, if one is focused on the correct form; the arm and hand are of the most importance as the weapon is only an extension of the hand!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A program on TLC or Discovery a while back (XMA?) claimed that in addition to the distraction it may cause, the tassles/flags are to absorb blood and help keep the blood from working its way down the weapon causing it to become slippery.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think they're referring to the flag(s) found on the dao (broadsword) - which most swordsmen actually didn't display on the pommel of the weapon.

As for them being used to soak up blood- the bladeguard more than adequately takes care of that problem. I think they may have confused the flags of the dao with the horsehair found beneath the blade of the Chinese spear (jiang) which IS used to soak blood up before it runs down the shaft and makes it slippery.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Red could be a distratction. Red is the color with the longest wavelength. According to my art history professor...the eye is naturally drawn to it. Painters often use(d) red to focus the viewer's attention on a section of their painting.

North Star

White Belt
Reaction score
The 'red hair' was not originally red when it was tied onto a spear, it was originally white coloured horse hair. It only became red when it was coloured from blood in a battle, to prevent blood from dripping down the shaft and making it slippery.

Jian get a tassel, dao get a flag or cloth.

The tassel is used to distract and fling into the opponent's face but I think it is more commonly used to decorate swords. You can tell a practical tassel as it will not be too long.

The flag on the dao would be used for wiping blood of the hand, handle and blade. It would also be used to wrap the hand when one was holding onto the dao, this would ensure a better grip and make one's weapon harder to lose in battle.

Another very obscure reason was that once the flag was wrapped around the hand, the exponent could 'throw' the dao and pull it back and catch it, for that extra few crucial inches when needed.

My sishong (senior) told me this, as his old master told him. He asked him "what if the dao cuts you on the way back?"

His master : "Then you're not good enough."

Latest Discussions