Dian Tanaka

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had missed it also. I am clear now on what specifically you were objecting to. It is just a different value, or facet of the Art.

I just could not figure it out what was up with your evaluation/judgement of Dian ... or rather I saw the generalization not the specific, given I know a bunch of who I would consider "Larry Tatum" or ex LT black belts who are much more than "adaquate" Kenpoist ... in fact they all can hurt ya real bad, and understand the hows & whys of the system. Dian is one of those in my opinion.

But hey, I know opinions are like @##holes & everybody has one. Our opinions don't have to agree for both of us to respect the other's position.

-MB

jbraxson

White Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
I think you're missing the point Ingmar. I've never said Dian wasn't a good Kenpoist or a good instructor, she is. Dian is a 6th degree BB, which is a very high rank in the Kenpo system yet she's never taken a student from white to black. It may not be important to you but it is to me. It shows a level of unmitigated committment to the art and to the student. I have a few BB's under me as I'm sure most 6th degree's do, or should, to wear that rank. If you don't have the time to teach a student/s for that period of time, don't wear the rank, it's that simple. Teaching tidbits at seminars is quite different from teaching a student the entire curriculum and exploring and sharing the nuances of this wonderful art with them. As an instructor, I learn new things everyday from the students that probably never would have occurred to me had I not taken the time to get on the floor with them. They inform me if I've gotten my message to them or not, and I'm constantly learning new ways to convey that message from the students, you can't do that just teaching at seminars. You know, I could go on and on but I'll leave it at that, like it or not.

Aren't you the guy who got up at Dian Tanaka's Homecoming, in a hot pink gi, and asked for the internet character of Dun Ringill to step forward? Maybe you shouldn't be making any judgement statements towards her, at least until you have some more credibility.

John Braxson

Marcus Buonfiglio

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dian is a 6th degree BB, which is a very high rank in the Kenpo system yet she's never taken a student from white to black. It may not be important to you but it is to me. It shows a level of unmitigated committment to the art and to the student. I have a few BB's under me as I'm sure most 6th degree's do, or should, to wear that rank. If you don't have the time to teach a student/s for that period of time, don't wear the rank, it's that simple. Teaching tidbits at seminars is quite different from teaching a student the entire curriculum and exploring and sharing the nuances of this wonderful art with them.

Greetings Clyde,

I agree with the overall message in what you say but but take small exeption to a few details. I wear the rank of 5th given to me by Mr. Pick. Previously to Mr. Pick I was with John Sepulveda up through 3rd Black. I have been at the art for almost 23 years. Of those, I have been teaching steadily for almost 21. I have yet to take someone from white to black. All of my personal students that I taught during my time with John I was able to take up to green or brown. It was Johns policy at the time to then pick them up as private students and take them through to their Black. My signature on their cert was always in the witness collumn. It has been a goal of mine to achieve this milestone. Currently I have two of my students that are distinct possibilities. Most of my students at this point in my career come to me either as brown or Black and I continue their training. Unless you are in an established commercial school with enough prospects comming through for you to weather the drop out rate and catch that rare individual that sticks with you as a sole instructor, the odds are against you that you will achieve that honor. The first student that Mr. Pick took from white to black was his son Michael Jr. At that time Mr. Pick had been at the art for 40 years. So although achieving that is indeed a milestone in your carreer it is by no means the sole indicator of your commitment to teach. My committment to teach comes from my passion of Kenpo and my deep desire to continue to give to others what those before have given to me. Sooner or later I will beat the odds.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Dear Mr. Braxson:

First off, I should note in the interests of fair disclosure that I am a friend of Clyde's, I train with him, and he kicks my tail on a regular basis.

Second off, I hadn't known it was anybody in particular's Homecoming. But could you please explain what Clyde's kidding around about the lamented, departed Dun (you might read his last, mean-spirited post, since he claimed to come from your neck of the woods), or his goofy taste in gis, has to do with the saliency of his point?

Third off--and leaving Ms. Tanaka out of it, since I've met the woman once, briefly, and only seen some fairly-remarkable tapes--what do you think of his point? Shouldn't advanced black belts be teaching, committed to the art in that sense?

Perhaps on another thread. I really don't care for discussing this sort of thing under the rubric of some particular person's name, and I'm sorry I posted on this thread earlier.

OP
T

thomp

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW, I looked like absolute Dog S*** in that video, especially after one of the guys kicked me in the sciataca (sp
Clyde

...you mean you look otherways sometimes???
Got any pics of that??

;) :D ;)
Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know Ms. Tanaka in anyway, shape or form. I did read her part in 'The Journey' and was impressed by her story.

As to her being a great instructor or graduating a black belt: I haven't the slightest... but I'd still like to offer this (when have I ever let sheer ignorance of anything stop me from commenting something? ...Clyde, you can run with that one.) ...
I feel this is no more than a matter of semantics:
Clyde stated a fact, one that it seems he feels is needed for a person to be thought of as a 'great instructor'... I agree with him.

BUT, maybe she's a very competent/knowledgable teacher of Kenpo... even if she's never turned out an orange belt. (well, ok that's pushing it a bit...) No doubt she's this, and more... but in my eyes to be "one of the greats" at anything, you must have done it many times from A-Z. A 'great' instructor would have taught a person to be a good yellow belt, and a good black belt.

No doubt she's competent/knowledgable and probably a nice nice person. :D

Clyde on the other hand.... is Clyde: Blunt as a sledghammer, no walking on egg-shells for anyone ever... I apreciate him for this; ya always know where you stand. Don't be upset that he pointed out a truth bluntly. It's Clyde.

Your Brother
John

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ms. Tanaka is a fine lady and spectacular martial artist. In my brief experience with her she is also an excellent instructor.

Clyde!! I've spent far too much of my life in school. I've had Kindergarden teachers who were terrific but never helped one student (directly) to graduate from school. I've had Medical School professors who wouldn't survive one day in kindergarden but were inspiring to those of us who had the honor to work with them. There is a place for all kinds of teachers and they all deserve our respect. Ms. Tanaka has the ability to inspire others to learn more and seek to be better martial artists. She also chooses a life outside of Kenpo and not to be tied to a school. I for one feel she deserves our respect and I can see that she has earned her rank.

:asian:
Jeff

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by jbraxson
[

Aren't you the guy who got up at Dian Tanaka's Homecoming, in a hot pink gi, and asked for the internet character of Dun Ringill to step forward? Maybe you shouldn't be making any judgement statements towards her, at least until you have some more credibility.

John Braxson [/B]
Let's keep it a bit more polite, especially this being your first post.

jbraxson

White Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
Let's keep it a bit more polite, especially this being your first post.

Polite? What is the point of this thread anyway? What possible good did Clyde T. O'briant do by pointing out that Dian Tanaka has never produced a black belt student. Look maybe there's some jealousy over the fact that she is included in the Journey and Clyde is not. Maybe it has to do with the Larry Tatum (yeah I'm aware of that story). I don't know, but regardless you should have been moderating this thread a long time ago. If Clyde wanted to discuss qualifications for a great kenpoist he should have started a new thread, but thus far he has only given reasons why people are not great kenpoists. This doesn't seem to fit the positive image that you as the moderator wish to project here at martial talk.

YOU HAVE A GREAT KENPO DAY,

John Braxson

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Kenpodoc
Clyde!! I've spent far too much of my life in school. I've had Kindergarden teachers who were terrific but never helped one student (directly) to graduate from school. I've had Medical School professors who wouldn't survive one day in kindergarden but were inspiring to those of us who had the honor to work with them. There is a place for all kinds of teachers and they all deserve our respect. Ms. Tanaka has the ability to inspire others to learn more and seek to be better martial artists. She also chooses a life outside of Kenpo and not to be tied to a school. I for one feel she deserves our respect and I can see that she has earned her rank.

:asian:
Jeff

I couldn't agree more.

And also a good instructor for you can be a bad instructor for somebody else.

But Clyde's still entitled to his own opinion :)

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpomachine

But Clyde's still entitled to his own opinion :)

I agree. My problem is that Mr. Parker clearly felt it was important to respect others for who they are. Unless someone is actively hurting others its better to just keep your opinion to yourself. Clyde could have said that he holds the greatest respect for Kenpoists who are willing and able to shepard students from white to blackbelt and teach skill and inspire loyalty and enthusiasm. He would have said essentially the same thing but placed a positive spin on his message. I would have seen that his message was not just jealousy or mean spirited and he would have improved my respect for him while simultaneously helping me to understand his point of view.:cool:

respectfully,

Jeff:)

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jbraxson was just "Banned" and I do not see other posts for him to be banned for. What is going on with this, can we not challenge a Mod now (given Seig is a chat Mod, not Forum Mod) but still??? Something else must have happened behind the scenes, as we have seen much, much worse behavior from others who remained?

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Kenpodoc
I agree. My problem is that Mr. Parker clearly felt it was important to respect others for who they are. Unless someone is actively hurting others its better to just keep your opinion to yourself. Clyde could have said that he holds the greatest respect for Kenpoists who are willing and able to shepard students from white to blackbelt and teach skill and inspire loyalty and enthusiasm. He would have said essentially the same thing but placed a positive spin on his message. I would have seen that his message was not just jealousy or mean spirited and he would have improved my respect for him while simultaneously helping me to understand his point of view.:cool:

respectfully,

Jeff:)

Everything isn't positive in life, get over it. I didn't say anything negative either, I thought it was pretty neutral myself, Oh well.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
jbraxson was just "Banned" and I do not see other posts for him to be banned for. What is going on with this, can we not challenge a Mod now (given Seig is a chat Mod, not Forum Mod) but still??? Something else must have happened behind the scenes, as we have seen much, much worse behavior from others who remained?

It is because he was caught using more than one screen name on this forum.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings

Admin Note:
This is a copy of the email I sent to Mr. Braxson. I believe it explains everything. The banning and blocking of his IP address has nothing to do with Seig.

Any questions, please send me a PM or start a thread in the Support forum so we can return this thread to its original intent.

Additionally, please keep this of a respectful nature.

Thank you.
Bob

Hello John.
Your IP was blocked as it was discovered to be the same as used by a "Troll" previously. That, combined with other similarities is the grounds for the banning. It is permanent. We will consider unbanning if you are willing to comply with the identity check that "Dun Ringill" was not. That check being as follows:

Photocopy your state ID.
Black out your Street Address, SSN# (if its on there), and/or state ID #. This is for your protection.
Scan that into your computer and either paint out or cut out the blacked out areas.

Once we have this, we will be willing to unblock your address's.

I do realize this is an extreme request. Given the problems caused by "Dun", we wish to avoid those issues in the future.

The banning has nothing to do with offending anyone, staff or not.

Thank you,
Bob Hubbard
Administrator

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Understandable and timely response. I was just suprised given the apparent cause and effect.

I too think that it is time for this thread to die a natural death, or start a new one on "Parker Black Belt" qualifications, since that is what it has devolved to.

Oss

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin Note
Mr. Braxson and I have had several pleasent email exchanges over this issue. As a result of them, I have removed the block on his IP address. His account will however remain locked. At this time he is not willing to send the information requested, and I do respect his reasoning for not doing so.

The erasoning for concern is as follows. Note, this is not all the info as to say it all would hurt our chances to either clear or confirm Mr. Braxson.
- IP address matches banned user.
- IP address is a static IP, not a dialup.
- Private information matches same banned user.
- Certain nuances of posts matched same banned user.

In a case like this where someone is thought to be a known 'bad', our policy is to require proof that they are not the 'known bad'. This can be done in 2 ways.
1- Submission of 'safe to show' ID as indicated above.
2- Have a 'Known Good' vouch for you.

If Mr. Mr. Braxson can do either of those, we will be happy to reinstate his posting privilages.

He may not be anything more than a victim of a series of coincidences in which case, I am truely sorry. I have to err on the side of caution though.

Hope that explains everything. If not, lemme know.

Bob

Elijah J.

White Belt
Reaction score
Clyde you changed your picture...why? I sort of liked it.

Elijah

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fellow Kenpoists,

I wanted to note that there is a new article with Ms. Tanaka in the September 2003 issue of Martial Art magazine. It covers defenses for front kicks. Great article!!

I also just wanted to say that I feel Ms. Tanaka is an incredible woman who has and is contributing alot to the Kenpo Community!

With respect,
Joshua Ryer
IKKA

Latest Discussions