Dian Tanaka

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Technically, I could also be considered a first generation student as I trained in the West LA studio with Mr. Parker as well.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

I have seen the video where you were testing for a level of brown with Mr. Parker and Mr. LeRoux. :)

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by jeffkyle
I have seen the video where you were testing for a level of brown with Mr. Parker and Mr. LeRoux. :)

Hey, where'd you get that, there were only a few people there filming that and my tape messed up when he was talking at the end of the test. I like to have it on DVD one of these days. BTW, I looked like absolute Dog S*** in that video, especially after one of the guys kicked me in the sciataca (sp). I almost passed out it hurt so bad. Did you see Speakman and Albert and Big T and all those guys. The dinner was a hoot afterwards too.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Hey, where'd you get that, there were only a few people there filming that and my tape messed up when he was talking at the end of the test. I like to have it on DVD one of these days. BTW, I looked like absolute Dog S*** in that video, especially after one of the guys kicked me in the sciataca (sp). I almost passed out it hurt so bad. Did you see Speakman and Albert and Big T and all those guys. The dinner was a hoot afterwards too.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Actually I only saw that part of the tape. I think the whole test was there, but that is the only part I saw. I just wanted to laugh a bit. Just kidding! :D

OP
S

Sergio Jódar

I worked out with her in Madrid IKC 2002. I love her forms. I think she´s a great kenpoist.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I had the opportunity this past Saturday to meet Ms. Tanaka, I found her to be friendly, warm, and gracious. As busy as she was, she was never rude. Unfortunately, due to the press of her duties, I was unable to obtain her signature for my Journey, this time.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

I had the opportunity and the honour to work with Ms. Tanaka at Jeff Blay's camp in New York 2 years ago I think it was.

She has so much power in the small frame of hers. And an excellent instructor too, we were paired up in a session and she helped me out in a lot of things. Some thing I will remember for a long time.

Dot
:asian:

OP
A

ArnoldLee

I had the opportunity to talk with Dian Tanaka and ask some questions about 4 years ago at a tournament. She was very articulate, answered my questions and has these fists that hit you like ball peen hammers! While people may have differing criteria about what a great instructor is I can assure you that she is one great practitioner of the art.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to compete in Kata against Dian Tanaka in the 80's...

As soon as she walked onto the tournament floor...we knew that Dian was going home with the first place trophy. Nobody else ever came close.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
I used to compete in Kata against Dian Tanaka in the 80's...

As soon as she walked onto the tournament floor...we knew that Dian was going home with the first place trophy. Nobody else ever came close.

I wonder who was training her back then?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK Clyde, normally I am with you on most stuff ... but this thing with Dian has me confused. Is it something personal, did you not like her instructor, ah-hem.

She came out in the 80's with Bob Liles and some other folks as part of the migration of my instructor's school into EPAK, from the LaBounty/Kelly/Gary Swan lineage, directly to Mr. Parker. She banged with the best of them ... I had the bruises to prove it, and it was American Kenpo she was doing.

So what specifically is the issue here? Enough snide comments, call the kettle by the color it is if ya got an issue. Let's air it out rather than insinuate stuff.

It appeared she was part of that group along with Howard Silva, Barbara Hale, Bryan Hawkins and Jeff Speakman. They were West LA school guys right? So were you??? Or am I mistaken?

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Just to be clear--please don't shoot the messenger--what Clyde's on about is that she was taught by Mr. Tatum in this period.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But Mr. Tatum was under Mr. Parker then. I know they are "Tatum" black belts, but not limited to that necessarily. In no way do I mean this in a bad way training wise. Geez, laying on of hands with some ... no all of them, will certainly "rock your world"! I Promise! I just don't distinguish a "Parker" Black Belt from a "Tatum" Black Belt, in terms of ability. They can both do they system and move correctly. That is why I thought it was a personal issue with Clyde!!! Yo no se?

OP
K

Kenpo viking

Don't you have anything else to do then talking about if one have produced a black belt or not. Is that the way to mesure if you are a good instructor or not. Then you better start offering black belt in 3 years.
Everyone has to do what they feel is right with out people saying this is right or wrong.
Ms Tanaka is a great Kenpoist. But I guess some can't stand it if they are not talking about them selfs. She has many years in the art and is a very respected Kenpoist. And let us keep it like that. She gives back to the art by teaching and participating in events and camps. I have a lot of respect for her. Find something better to do then throwing **** were it does not belong. Remember it will always hit yourself in the face sooner or later.

Respectfully
Ingmar Johansson:soapbox: :uzi:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know Dian ownes her own business which may keep her from producing black belts. When I saw her last on the matts she was slapping the taste out of some one's mouth. I've seen her teach as well and I was very impressed. So impressed that I will be having her as a guest instructor at one of my future camps.

:partyon: :enguard: :btg: :drinkbeer :cheers:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
Just to be clear--please don't shoot the messenger--what Clyde's on about is that she was taught by Mr. Tatum in this period.

So? I started with someone else before becoming a personal student of GM Remy A. Presas. I was still HIS student. I give credit to my first instructor yet it was GM Presas who did the most for my training!

:asian:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kroy
1. Does Dian Tanaka have a web site
2. has anyone trained with her?
3.I hear she's a great instructor.:D

1. No website.

2. Yes and I think she ROCKS!

3. Yes again.

Le'ts stick to the thread.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Kenpo viking
Don't you have anything else to do then talking about if one have produced a black belt or not. Is that the way to mesure if you are a good instructor or not. Then you better start offering black belt in 3 years.
Everyone has to do what they feel is right with out people saying this is right or wrong.
Ms Tanaka is a great Kenpoist. But I guess some can't stand it if they are not talking about them selfs. She has many years in the art and is a very respected Kenpoist. And let us keep it like that. She gives back to the art by teaching and participating in events and camps. I have a lot of respect for her. Find something better to do then throwing **** were it does not belong. Remember it will always hit yourself in the face sooner or later.

Respectfully
Ingmar Johansson:soapbox: :uzi:

I think you're missing the point Ingmar. I've never said Dian wasn't a good Kenpoist or a good instructor, she is. Dian is a 6th degree BB, which is a very high rank in the Kenpo system yet she's never taken a student from white to black. It may not be important to you but it is to me. It shows a level of unmitigated committment to the art and to the student. I have a few BB's under me as I'm sure most 6th degree's do, or should, to wear that rank. If you don't have the time to teach a student/s for that period of time, don't wear the rank, it's that simple. Teaching tidbits at seminars is quite different from teaching a student the entire curriculum and exploring and sharing the nuances of this wonderful art with them. As an instructor, I learn new things everyday from the students that probably never would have occurred to me had I not taken the time to get on the floor with them. They inform me if I've gotten my message to them or not, and I'm constantly learning new ways to convey that message from the students, you can't do that just teaching at seminars. You know, I could go on and on but I'll leave it at that, like it or not.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Latest Discussions