Dian Tanaka

K

Kroy

Does Dian Tanaka have a web site and has anyone trained with her? I hear she's a great instructor.:D

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Kroy
Does Dian Tanaka have a web site and has anyone trained with her? I hear she's a great instructor.:D

To my knowledge she has never produced a Black Belt.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Yes, but I'm in love with her, that's what matters!;)

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... boy can she whack. She owns a company and travels extensively. It is not really reasonable to expect her to "produce a black belt." Was this a slam directed toward Dian? I really hope not, as she exemplifies a lot of good in the Art. Although Edmund Jr. touts as the Ambassador of Kenpo, I certainly think Dian could equally claim that title.

-Michael

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Michael Billings
... boy can she whack. She owns a company and travels extensively. It is not really reasonable to expect her to "produce a black belt." Was this a slam directed toward Dian? I really hope not, as she exemplifies a lot of good in the Art. Although Edmund Jr. touts as the Ambassador of Kenpo, I certainly think Dian could equally claim that title.

-Michael

Was it a slam, you tell me, it's the truth. Why is is not reasonably expected for her to produce any BB students?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

I thought I had read somewhere that she had participated in some Kenpo seminars. Unfortunately, I am not sure if she was teaching or there as a student or both......

Chicago Green
Dragon :asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But I know for a fact she makes seminars, at least some of them, and when she drops into town here in Austin, she is always working hard. It is her company, a high tech one, and I am sure you know the workaholic nature of a successful business in that field. In the meantime. What is the big whoop if she does not "produce" black belts? Is this a new criteria, or at least a value you hold, to be associated with upper black belts?

I just never had that expectation. I know lots of "Senior Students" who teach for others, and to my knowledge, have never produced a black belt. Howard Silva for one, Dian, most black belt students who are in the same school as Association Presidents, etc. Tommy Burks has me, but I came to him with a Black. These guys were studying at the West LA school, and seldom would be the ones testing someone. Look at Wes Idol, a great Martial Artist, but junior to Bryan Hawkins. No lack of teaching time, but they are not "his students" to promote, even if he did train them.

I guess I just don't have that value. Although, I do want the quality Parker Black Belts, like Dian, to pass on the knowledge and share her experiences of Mr. Parker. It does not devalue her rank, or the esteem that I hold for her, that she has not, once again - to my knowledge, promoted someone to black.
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Maybe I am missing something or we just have a different perspective. I have worked out with her, and she is a good representative of the Art.

-Michael

OP
K

Kroy

I totally agree with Mr. Billings. I have nto had the chance to train with her yet but I'm looking forward to it. I hear only good things about her. BTW, great web site, very informative.:asian:

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Um...ah...I've met Ms. Tanaka a couple times, and she seems very nice. Further, from the tapes I've seen, she's a wonderful martial artist.

However, the post that started this string did refer to her as, "a great instructor." And while I do know Clyde, I too have to wonder how a great instructor can never have graduated any black belts...

Perhaps more generally, here's a question: what makes a great instructor? is it something different, in kenpo? can you be a great instructor in some other way than running a school/teaching students?

OP
R

RCastillo

Leave my girl Dian alone, she's mine, alright!!!

Ginsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps more generally, here's a question: what makes a great instructor? is it something different, in kenpo? can you be a great instructor in some other way than running a school/teaching students?

To answer your question, yes you can be a great a instructor without owning/running or teaching in a school with a constant flow of students.

I think we would all have to agree to some extent that those things do not make someone a great teacher. I know several people that fit that mold of owning/running a school and they are some of the worst teachers and apathetic individuals I have ever met. That of course goes the other way as well. Many are truly great teachers/instructors.

A great teacher/instructor is someone who has a genuine love of what they teach and pass on. It does not mean that they must or want to teach all the time. It is a certain gift that all great teachers/instructors have that allows them to bond with many different types of students and also find a way to teach/instruct those that have difficulty learning in traditional ways.

They also have that ability to sometimes pass a little bit of that passion on to those that they teach. So is having taught someone all the material and how to be a Black Belt make you great? No, not anymore then not having taught someone all the material and how to be a Black Belt.

I am sure that are numerous other things that people can add or want to say about what it takes to be a great teacher/instructor, but I wanted to just touch on only a few of the really basic ones.

Ginsu

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
...Perhaps more generally, here's a question: what makes a great instructor? is it something different, in kenpo? can you be a great instructor in some other way than running a school/teaching students?

I have also been in a class with then Ms. Tanaka and she was quite proficient. However, at that time I was under the impression that she was not a professional/full-time martial artist.

I would concede that Clyde was making that point even if he baited the hook as it were.

Nevertheless, even if Ms. Tanaka did not have a school, even if she was/is not a full-time/professional martial artist, I'm quite sure she can teach me a lot about how to do Kenpo and if she were here this weekend and we worked on forms for 4 hours I could see how I would come away saying "Wow, she is a great instructor."

That might be splitting hairs a bit. Clyde might only consider someone an instructor if they teach regularly for themselves. As Mr. Billings pointed out, there are lots of good people who teach, who teach for someone else under someone else and do not have their own "students" as it were.

Clyde, let me ask you because I am not on the boards enough to know this, but do you train with Mr. Tatum at his studio? Do you teach? Do you have some students who are yours and who do not receive promotions from Mr. Tatum? Do you consider yourself an instructor?

I am thinking that you do study at Mr. Tatum's studio, that you do teach there, that you do not have any of your own students and that you do consider yourself an instructor/teacher/professor.

I also think you have a full-time job outside of Kenpo.

I don't see any of that as a slight. I know I've seen at least one post here on MT where you have worked out with people who have said that you had a lot to offer.

I'm not trying to be anything but inquisitive so please don't anyone take offense. I'll be anxious to see what Clyde says. I see how the original question precipitated this issue but I think we can clear it up.

I just re-read rmcrobertson's post. I think my question is similar to but perhaps more detailed than his. Like I said, he put it well. The original question could be interpreted many ways. But I would ask for clarification from rmcrobertson. Can you teach students without running a school?

For the record, I think you can be a great instructor and not have a school or your own body of students.

I know at my studios, camps and seminars I have learned a lot coming up through the ranks from some men and women who were very good but who did not own a studio and who were not full-time martial artists. I've also taught some lessons that have been very effective and I know underbelts have called me a good instructor before as well. Context is important for this question.

Beyond this issue. There is a Kung Fu guy here in town who won't let his students go to tournaments, seminars or otherwise be seen practicing outside of his studio. He has over 100 Black Belts under him. How do we evaluate how great of an instructor he is?

We know how he produces Black Belts. He promotes them. We don't know "Why" he promotes them. Mr. Parker always said Why was more important than How (I know this is a bit of a stretch). So then "Why" is Ms. Tanaka, or anyone else, considered or not considered a great instructor?
:asian:

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Gosh, take a cold shower and calm down.:cool:

Well Put

Chicago Green

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Michael Billings

I guess I just don't have that value. Although, I do want the quality Parker Black Belts, like Dian, to pass on the knowledge and share her experiences of Mr. Parker. It does not devalue her rank, or the esteem that I hold for her, that she has not, once again - to my knowledge, promoted someone to black.

Maybe I am missing something or we just have a different perspective. I have worked out with her, and she is a good representative of the Art.

-Michael

Parker BB she's not, her original instructor, though she fails to mention this fact in The Journey, was not Ed Parker. I never said she was not a good representative of the art, I merely stated the fact she has not promoted anyone to Black. I know it takes a symbiotic relationship with students to learn to teach well. Having said that, a long term relationship with students is crucial for an instructor, at least in my opinion. Though I have people I work out with, I wouldn't call myself their instructor, but when it comes time for rank, my name will be on their diploma as instructor should they choose to have it, and I would happily put their name on the family tree. If they wanted no rank, then I share my knowledge with them, and they with me. Most importantly, they share their inspiration for the art, which in turn, inspires me to become better at what I do.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Originally posted by RCastillo
JEALOUS!;)

How did you know lol

Hmm how do you know she is not seeing me hmmmmm

Chicago Green

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
JEALOUS!;)

No, I've never met her. I have only seen her pictures. Although I must say that the pictures that i have seen she is cute. :cool: But jealous - no.

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

I have never met her either.

But, I do think she is a very lovely woman.
I also admire a successful woman like her too.

Chicago Green

Latest Discussions