Defend this, right wingers...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope not. I haven't. We lost too many (extended) family and friends to drunk drivers.

They say after midnight about 1/4 or 1/2 I can't remember which of the drivers on the road are legally intoxicated

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This story just got better: "A conservative U.S. senator from Idaho who has said he doesn’t drink because of his Mormon faith has been charged with drunken driving.

Sen. Michael Crapo, a three-term Republican with a reputation as a social and fiscal conservative, registered a blood alcohol content of .11 percent after police pulled his car over in this suburb south of Washington, D.C., authorities said."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...b-02f92c0daa43_story.html?tid=pm_national_pop

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They say after midnight about 1/4 or 1/2 I can't remember which of the drivers on the road are legally intoxicated

When on midnights we used to say that after 2am there were only 3 types of people on the road; late night workers, drunks or criminals....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This story just got better: "A conservative U.S. senator from Idaho who has said he doesn’t drink because of his Mormon faith has been charged with drunken driving.

Sen. Michael Crapo, a three-term Republican with a reputation as a social and fiscal conservative, registered a blood alcohol content of .11 percent after police pulled his car over in this suburb south of Washington, D.C., authorities said."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...b-02f92c0daa43_story.html?tid=pm_national_pop

LOL, yeah, funny.

he should have had some coffee instead.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I dont remember the exact numbers I went to a MADD luncheon once and they gave the stats I'll have to look it up.

being that it's from MADD, the stats were probably inflated.
They do also proclaim that one becomes alcoholic with the first drink...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
even then it is a absolute wrong.

But the group has become a smidge extreme since their inception....
Well since a lot of them have lost someone to drunk driving I can understand. If my kids were killed I'd get a little extreme myself

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well since a lot of them have lost someone to drunk driving I can understand. If my kids were killed I'd get a little extreme myself

In this day and age, it is so easily avoided climbing behind the wheel after a drink.

however, there is the hurt, the honest and laudable attempt to spare others the grief and the insanity, bolstered by hyperbole.

I would be interested to see how their presence influences the statistics.
Official statistics, not theirs.

However one views driving under the influence, I find the delicate part is actually not him driving, but the boozing part!
You know, Mormon, religion and all that, 'I don't drink because of religion'
the LDS church also frowns upon coffee consumption (maybe that's why the store out west sold the soda in the paperbag like it was beer...) but at least coffe and driving is legal....

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In this day and age, it is so easily avoided climbing behind the wheel after a drink.

however, there is the hurt, the honest and laudable attempt to spare others the grief and the insanity, bolstered by hyperbole.

However one views driving under the influence, I find the delicate part is actually not him driving, but the boozing part!
the LDS church also frowns upon coffee consumption (maybe that's why the store out west sold the soda in the paperbag like it was beer...) but at least coffe and driving is legal....
Maybe he's not a strict follower? I find it amusing that when ones religious beliefs fit for you to make fun of them like here in this case its OK but when a Catholic decides not to want a female priest then its silly?

Either way the real tragedy is he could have killed Someone but it seems its more important to turn it into an I got you moment

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Maybe he's not a strict follower? I find it amusing that when ones religious beliefs fit for you to make fun of them like here in this case its OK but when a Catholic decides not to want a female priest then its silly?

Either way the real tragedy is he could have killed Someone but it seems its more important to turn it into an I got you moment

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

He supposedly said he does not drink because of the religion.
That is worthy of making fun off, since he obviously is drinking and making a mockery of the faith he claims to adhere to.
But no skin off my nose. He has to settle this with the other mormon people who voted for him

As to the catholic church and their women priests, the point was not that they don't allow it.
The point was that they set the punishment for the grave sin of ordaining a woman on the same level as molesting children! I do believe even the staunchest believer should see a discrepancy here. And it was not one of mockery, but outrage!

The mockery comes in when the man who is infallible by his office's own making declares that his hands are tied in the matter.
and considering that probably on average more women flock to the church then men....the last service I attended, all the priests little helpers were female....not to mention that the man is stretched thin in his duties to his ever growing community - area wise, not followers - as more and more parishes are finding the position of village priest unfilled.

drinking and driving can kill people. letting a woman lead services in church doesn't harm a dang soul.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So again its OK to hold a persons feet to the fire and admonish him for violating his religious beliefs when it give you a way to make fun but when someone else sticks to a belief you don't like there being silly? I'm neither Norman or Catholic I'm united Methodist we have female pastors so I don't agree with the Catholic Church but you can't fault one for not following his faith and fault another for following his.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So again its OK to hold a persons feet to the fire and admonish him for violating his religious beliefs when it give you a way to make fun but when someone else sticks to a belief you don't like there being silly? I'm neither Norman or Catholic I'm united Methodist we have female pastors so I don't agree with the Catholic Church but you can't fault one for not following his faith and fault another for following his.

again. you are being , well, you. Obtuse.
it's not a matter of religious believes as it is about him saying one thing and doing another.
yeah, the drinking in it self, he needs to be pointed at and laughed at.

The women pastor thing. I don't care. I don't join these clubs. Tried, but I can't. However. The severity for ordaining a woman is a grave sin on the same level of committing a heinous crime. it's not the fact they keep women from doing it, it's that they equal it to child molestation, rape.
I know, you will ask the same question again and again i will give you the same answer.

however. the man apparently lied about his drinking.
and that is a bit of an interesting point since he is an elected official in one of the highest capacities of our country.
To me, I don't care about the drinking.
But the obvious truth he omitted....that's not funny.

and yes, had he been drinking the other forbidden drink, he would not be in the situation.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not being obtuse I just disagree with you. I don't think you should call one guy out for not following his beliefs and call another guy out for following his.

Either way the real problem is drunk driving and how to get people to realize when they are and arnt ok to drive. It will only get worse with the legalization of drugs on the horizon. People will believe they are OK to drive when legally they won't be. I also wonder if .08 (the limit here) is a little low. I'm not sure I'm not an expert on alcohol effects on the body as far as BAC levels.

Latest Discussions