Dae Do doboks

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was watching the Youtubes of the World Poomsae Championships & noticed the ads & competitors wearing Dae Do doboks. I'd never heard of them before. I've discovered that they are an "officially reconized" WTF dobok. Has anyone ever worn one? Are a good dobok?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They seem to be big in Europe, as they're a product of Spain. Any of our European WTF'ers wear em?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't own one (nor do I plan on getting one) but I see where they are now available in the US. The Lopezes have a website which sells them though I don't have the link handy.

Miles

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've talked to people that use them and they think they are the best thing out there. I'm personally happy with my ADIDAS however.

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Daedo that I purchased from a place called MDSS (mdsscanada.com) in Missisauga Ont Canada.
It seems to me that it is the replacement for Pro Specs, which lasts forever. If you know a supplier that sells Pro Spec gear they might have them.

MikeSlisher

White Belt
Reaction score
Call me old-fashioned (as I probably am) but I just never got into the V-neck doboks. I started TKD back in the early '70s (ITF affiliation) and the only acceptable doboks were the Japanese style. I tried a V-neck in the early '90s and ended up throwing it away as it just wasn't comfortable at all. Just never saw the need (as our org didn't require the V-neck and so I the uncomfortrableness of them just turned me off.)

Not a flame... if you like them or need to have them, fine. But given the choice between V-neck or traditional gi, there isn't really any choice. Give me a heavyweight canvas traditional gi any day.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Question here, just food for thought

Gi means uniform
dobook means uniform

Gi is Japanese for uniform
Dobook is korean for uniform

Why is it when ITF or ATA or some other orgs. talk about uniforms and they practise TKD they refer to them as Gi's. If you do any type of TKD it is Korean Base and it should be called a dobook correct.

Sorry this has always confused me, I have been in TKD for 25 years and to this day I do not understand.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started in the ITF, and the term has always been dobok, at least when I've heard it; people who used the term "gi" were corrected.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started in the ITF, and the term has always been dobok, at least when I've heard it; people who used the term "gi" were corrected.

That has always been my experience as well.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I agree Kacey it has always been Dobook anywhere I trained, just here on this site and a couple of other ones they are always referring uniform with Gi which just does not makes sense to me. Sorry really was not pointing a finger anywhere. Just asking those simple question that make me not sleep at night.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like Terry, I'm not looking to rip anyone. My 1st instructor (1982) was a Korean man. We worn the cross over-type uniforms as the 1st uniform I wore. He was very insistent that it was called a dobok regardless of style. (I still remember push-ups being handed out for referring to it as a gi.:rpo:)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree Kacey it has always been Dobook anywhere I trained, just here on this site and a couple of other ones they are always referring uniform with Gi which just does not makes sense to me. Sorry really was not pointing a finger anywhere. Just asking those simple question that make me not sleep at night.

No worries - I've just never heard uniforms referred to as "gis" in the ITF. Other places yes - but never there, so I don't know which ITF classes you've seen, but it wasn't any of the ones I've been to; but then, the vast majority of those have been in Colorado - in other states, who knows?

Butch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not dumping on anyone but the Japanese term is actually Dogi for uniform. It was shorten by the Americans and the younger Japanese students. The correct term for uniform in Korean is Dobok though.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not dumping on anyone but the Japanese term is actually Dogi for uniform. It was shorten by the Americans and the younger Japanese students. The correct term for uniform in Korean is Dobok though.

Not to argue here but Gi is the proper name for uniform in Jaoan, or at least when I was there in the eighties.

In korea there are several ways to spell Dobook, Dobok, or Doebook remember it is where you are at in Korea.

Sorry could not resisit

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No worries - I've just never heard uniforms referred to as "gis" in the ITF. Other places yes - but never there, so I don't know which ITF classes you've seen, but it wasn't any of the ones I've been to; but then, the vast majority of those have been in Colorado - in other states, who knows?

Kacey I will only tell you this one of the most prominenet ITF school here in my area calls them GI's. I was referring to them. I will show you there website when I'm in Colorado seeing you.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey I will only tell you this one of the most prominenet ITF school here in my area calls them GI's. I was referring to them. I will show you there website when I'm in Colorado seeing you.

Oh, I have no doubt - it just doesn't happen in the ITF around here, or it didn't when I left in the 90s.

Hey, did you know that if you mispronounce dobok (as do-bahk, rather than do-boek) you're saying training pig instead of training uniform? One of my students is from Korea; I had heard that before, and he confirmed it - but he was the only one who could say the sounds clearly enough to understand the difference.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, I have no doubt - it just doesn't happen in the ITF around here, or it didn't when I left in the 90s.

Hey, did you know that if you mispronounce dobok (as do-bahk, rather than do-boek) you're saying training pig instead of training uniform? One of my students is from Korea; I had heard that before, and he confirmed it - but he was the only one who could say the sounds clearly enough to understand the difference.

Mr Suh one of my BB is in Korea training for the semester he has said the same thing, I cannot make the differencr out but when I say it that way he is always correcting me behind close doors of course.

Latest Discussions