Dae Do doboks

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr Suh one of my BB is in Korea training for the semester he has said the same thing, I cannot make the differencr out but when I say it that way he is always correcting me behind close doors of course.

Oh, I asked my student - he wouldn't correct me in class, but I asked him about that and several other words.

TKDJUDO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I own a Dae Do Dobok, and so do all the students at my dojang. Arguably the most comfortable uniform I've worn. Not too sure if other schools use Dae Do, because I mostly see Adidas uniforms being worn.

MikeSlisher

White Belt
Reaction score
Question here, just food for thought

Gi means uniform
dobook means uniform

Gi is Japanese for uniform
Dobook is korean for uniform

Why is it when ITF or ATA or some other orgs. talk about uniforms and they practise TKD they refer to them as Gi's. If you do any type of TKD it is Korean Base and it should be called a dobook correct.

Sorry this has always confused me, I have been in TKD for 25 years and to this day I do not understand.

Sorry, didn't mean to start a problem with this. I used the word "gi" simply to differentiate the cross-over style top from the v-neck style top.
For those of you who wonder about the word usage, when I started in TKD in 1974, there was virtually no national coverage of the Korean styles. Martial arts supplies (uniforms, etc.) could only be purchased in larger cities, so for those of us unfortunate enough to live in the "boonies", we had to mail-order them (no internet either, don't ya know). So, when buying uniforms, you had to order a "Gi". I don't even remember seeing the word dobok used until I ran across a Century MA Supply catalog somewhere in the early '90s.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to start a problem with this. I used the word "gi" simply to differentiate the cross-over style top from the v-neck style top.
For those of you who wonder about the word usage, when I started in TKD in 1974, there was virtually no national coverage of the Korean styles. Martial arts supplies (uniforms, etc.) could only be purchased in larger cities, so for those of us unfortunate enough to live in the "boonies", we had to mail-order them (no internet either, don't ya know). So, when buying uniforms, you had to order a "Gi". I don't even remember seeing the word dobok used until I ran across a Century MA Supply catalog somewhere in the early '90s.

Mike no worries jsust adding to the meat of the thread, ley me ask you this where and who trained you back then, I love it when the elders come here and we can talk about those days.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It goes back to the Koreans wishing to establish their own cultural identity away from any Japanese influence. Originally, they did indeed use Gis to practice in, as I owned several. They called it the Dobok to reference the fact it was the uniform used in Tae Kwon Do, but a gis a gi.
That's one of the reasons why the V-neck was developed. Aside from being a completely different uniform, hence a new name, it also harks back to the Korean traditional Hanbok. If you wear a loose fitting dobok without a belt, it looks remarkably like a Hanbok.
And Taekyon practitioners I've seen on Youtube wear uniforms that look remarkably like white V-neck doboks (some differences of course).

e ship yuk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Heh... funny story I just heard this weekend...

My instructor's instructor was up for a short visit, and we were working out, going over some linguistics stuff. We talked about dogi and dobok, and why in Korean it was never just a "bok" like a dogi was a "gi." He then told us that when he first started training, his Korean instructor didn't speak English all that well. He pointed at his uniform top one day and asked his students "What is this?" They were confused, and he specified, "What this called?" They told him it was a gi. So from then on he called it a gi, thinking that was the English word for it.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I decided to bump this thread to see if other's (particularly across the Pond) had worn them & what they thought. They even have them in ITF-style.

http://daedousa.com/

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just saw an ad for Dae Do yesterday when I picked up a TKD Times. I'd never heard of it before. The ads had probably run before, but for whatever reason, I'd never noticed them.

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Question here, just food for thought

Gi means uniform
dobook means uniform

Gi is Japanese for uniform
Dobook is korean for uniform

Why is it when ITF or ATA or some other orgs. talk about uniforms and they practise TKD they refer to them as Gi's. If you do any type of TKD it is Korean Base and it should be called a dobook correct.

Sorry this has always confused me, I have been in TKD for 25 years and to this day I do not understand.
I wonder if it wasn't a case of trying to hold back the ocean. You know; the old schools always said 'karate' on the door and everyone knows what a gi is. If everyone who comes into the class calls it a gi, how far could a master really go in correcting them when their sign read, "Karate"?

As taekwondo became more established as an MA independent of karate and distinctly Korean, the Korean terminology became more prevalent. And taekwondo being a recognized olympic sport certainly did help to distinguish taekwondo as being distinct from Japanese karate in the eyes of the public.

I could be totally off base, but it seems logical.

Daniel

Latest Discussions