Critique vs Criticism

Discussion in 'Members in Motion' started by jks9199, Nov 13, 2014.

1. jks9199

jks9199 Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Critique: evaluate in a detailed and analytical way
    Criticize: find the faults with or about something

Please remember that there is a difference. Many times, we find ourselves criticizing posts and videos when they ask for a critique. Critiques are generally factual and objective, though they may own opinions within a critique. If you want to stay on the right side of the rules and friendly spirit hereabouts, review your post before you hit send, and make sure that you're offering a critique rather than finding fault.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Tarrycat

Tarrycat Green Belt

I think a lot of people don't know the difference, to be quite honest.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Which is why I typically refrain from offering anything but encouragement to any video posted, unless the person posting it asks for suggestions, recommendations, etc, and then I try to be gentle but concise.

I am not enough of an expert on basically anything to offer a lot of positive criticism, so I often don't say anything, but just click 'like' on the video to indicate that I saw it and want to offer general encouragement.

I've posted a few of my own, and after a few hundred views and no replies, I've done the head-scratching "That bad, eh?" and moved on. Sometimes I'd rather have negative feedback than silence.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Tarrycat

Tarrycat Green Belt

That's a good strategy to have. Just know that you have just as much of a right as the next person to share your opinion. I agree with it having to be constructive, & gentle; not criticising or harsh. Some people on here have a criticising tone to their opinions, & it is discouraging to say the least, especially for newcomers.

Those known to be supportive on this site, are actually very nice & open-minded. I simply don't reply to rude people. I don't give them my time of day.

5. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

Old saying said, "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it". This will always prevent problems. IMO, it's better to send out positive energy than to send out negative energy. Some people like to say "old, sick, weak, standing, ..." I like to say, "young, healthy, strong, running, ...".

If A and B have disagreement, in stead of to quote A that you disagree with him, it may be better to quote B and say that you agree with him.

6. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

Agree! Sometime after you made your post, that thread is dead. You start to wonder, "What did I do to just kill that thread?"

I though I had put some good information in the following tread. That thread is dead after my last post and I don't know why. In that post, I believe I just offer my opinion.

A Choke for a Choke: A Basic Guillotine Counter

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  7. Martial D

Martial D Master Black Belt

You have a point, but there is overlap.

Example, Johny Highkick posts a sparring video. Within the video we witness johnny eating a lot of shots to the face, because he keeps his hands down and feet planted. Johny has some great kicks tho. Johnny asks for critique and tips on his video.

Poster A replies, You have great kicks, but you keep your hands too low and dont move enough, you should work on your footwork and try to keep your hands up!

Now, is that critique or criticism? How does one offer advice on correcting or improving weaknesses(faults) without first identifying them(criticism)?

8. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

FWIW, I don't reply to any of the BJJ basic video/threads, but read them all, as I'm just starting BJJ. I found your post there very informative.

9. Swanson

Swanson Yellow Belt

Always be positive if you can
    Like the famous book called the SECRET

10. pdg

pdg 3rd Black Belt

I like constructive criticism...

Point out what you think is wrong/bad, then suggest possible ways to fix/improve it.

"If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing" might work for some people, but it's not exactly useful.

Things like the "criticism sandwich" get on my nerves too - like "X was good (positive), you should work more on Y (negative), Z was great too (positive). That's two lumps of wasted time.

I have nothing at all against commenting/congratulating if something is good, but if something isn't good why not help to remedy it?

• Like Like x 1