*Creating Power*

K

Kenpo Yahoo

How do you generate power for your strikes (kicks, punches, elbows etc.)? Feel free to pick any of the above. If you like... talk about muscle groups, body mechanics, and all that stuff.

Just trying to promote some thought. Not that I don't like talking about who's better than who, or why kenpo is or isn't effective, but I just thought we might do a little headwork for a while.

Any one interested?

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Yesssss..... a non-political thread!!!

Basically I like to think of the power in my hand strikes comes mostly from the legs, and rotational force. Example, The basic reverse punch. As you extend the punch you transition into a lunge stance. The driving force begins from the back leg and extends out and penetrates through the knuckles. I feel that in order to have a powerful kick, any kick, you need to have a solid base. I think it's obvious that you legs are naturally stronger than you arms and easily have more that enough raw power to cause a lot of damage, the trick is to be able to pull it off properly. Practice, practice, practice the basics. If your weight is not directly over you supporting leg, you are either falling away from the target, falling into the target (ooo that could be very bad), or bounce off the target. On any of these options you are not in control of your body and may end up on the ground or find yourself wide open for a counter strike. As for elbows and knees, I think these weapons naturally have a lot of power, maybe it’s just me.

Now is it all just that simple, heck no. But it is a start.

howardr

Green Belt
Reaction score
Spinal waves and the release of tension from antagonist muscle groups.

You've piqued my interest. Do tell more: what are "spinal waves," and would you please elaborate and give some examples of release tension from antagonist muscle groups in order to generate power?

Thanks.

OP
Y

yamabushi

Summation of muscle forces combined with relaxation and breath.

OP
T

tonbo

Rotational torque from the waist?

The interaction of opposite muscle groups?

The force of bringing a large stick down on my opponent?

Maybe it's just the Force (as in, "Use the Force, Luke!").

Lotta things create power. One of my personal favorites is "borrowed force"...:)

Peace--

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Borrowed force is an excellent way to maximize your strike, but how do you create the power for THAT strike?

Would you get more power stepping backward, forward, diagonally, or from a simple rotation?

What is a more effective means of energy transfer (for strike, not a kick) heel up or heel down, or does it matter?

What about opposing forces and directional harmony, how do they factor in to all of this?

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Arthur
Spinal waves and the release of tension from antagonist muscle groups.

Arthur

That's not fair - you're not really a kenpo guy. You aren't limited by our anal retentive labeling habits! But seriously - the spinal wave and relaxation principles are nothing to sneeze at. I'm getting some serious mileage out of stuff Arthur helped me with a couple of years ago. Thanks Dude!

That and being conscious of transferrence of mass.

Matt

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Be angry with whatever you're hitting, and visualise your fist/foot/elbow etc. going right through the target.

Simple, and un-scientific, but effective non-the-less....!

Ian.

(I hope this works when I hit post, I've just installed a wireless network...look Ma, no han^H^H^H^H^H^Hwires!)

Guiseppe Betri

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Power inside of a strike, regardless of what type of strike, comes from one's spirit. Yes, muscular mass can make a powerful strike, there is more than this however. What is your belief and how strong is your belief? Power is generated from within, from within one's heart and spirit.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo

One:
Borrowed force is an excellent way to maximize your strike, but how do you create the power for THAT strike?

Two:
What is a more effective means of energy transfer (for strike, not a kick) heel up or heel down, or does it matter?

One:
Timing will enhance the power derived from using borrowed force.

Two:
This one really depends on if you are generating forward momentum or not.

I hope this is vague enough to stimulate some elaboration from other wiser members. :)

Les

OP
S

Straight Blast

Bruce Lee said think of your center line as a hinge and slam you fist as you would slam a door (or something like that)

OP
L

LoneWolfandCub

to quote Chubs on Happy Gilmore....
it's alllllllllllll in the hips baby...it's allllllllllllll in the hips

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by LoneWolfandCub
to quote Chubs on Happy Gilmore....
it's alllllllllllll in the hips baby...it's allllllllllllll in the hips

As well as legs, feet, upper body, shoulders, arms more than just the hips.

:p

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I kneel in to my strikes. Sort of like a drop and push. To give an example of some power strikes... When practicing a spinnig back kick, don't pirrouette. Turn into a full reverse close kneel and perfom a back kick from that position. Put the two moves toguether and BAM you have power in you spinnig back kick.
Just a suggestion.

OP
L

LoneWolfandCub

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
I kneel in to my strikes. Sort of like a drop and push. To give an example of some power strikes... When practicing a spinnig back kick, don't pirrouette. Turn into a full reverse close kneel and perfom a back kick from that position. Put the two moves toguether and BAM you have power in you spinnig back kick.
Just a suggestion.

Hmmm marriage of gravity, back up mass, and body allignment sound a little like this :) The key is to make it all gel or synchronize these elements

OP
L

LoneWolfandCub

Originally posted by Klondike93
As well as legs, feet, upper body, shoulders, arms more than just the hips.

:p

Yeah a little of all that....synchronizing your right :) just didnt want to miss a good chance to use a happy gilmore reference!

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Me being me, I'll note the mistakes in generating power I see most commonly:

1. Using the shoulders and biceps alone.
2. Failing to bend the knees.
3. Letting the toes stick out.
4. Fake "forward bows," with no weight transfer.
5. Trying to generate too much power too early in your training, and a resulting set of cheap imitations of the way someone generating power looks.
6. Reaching too far.
7. Stiffening the muscles too soon.
8. Not rotating.
9. Rotating part of the body/limbs away from the direction of most of the body.
10. Inhaling.
11. Not bending the knees.

Latest Discussions